Scope Advice Seekins Element 6.5 PRC

cktraider

FNG
Just bought a Seekins Element 6.5 PRC and am in need of some scope advice. Hunted my whole life but not super knowledgeable on scopes.

Most of my hunting will be for whitetail 200-300 yd shots in West TX, some elevation/mountains 150 ish feet tall. Will be shooting from sticks most of the time and walking. I have a 4-12 X 40 Vortex Diamondback on another rifle and want something with a little better FOV. I found it hard to locate some deer in the "mountains" with as much cover as there is. Also a little more range than the 4-12. (Will have some 400 yd occasionally)

Would like to be able to do some long range shooting as well 500 plus (would like to Elk hunt eventually) and target practice at long range but 90% of the time it will be for whitetail hunting.

Would like to keep it around the $2,500 range but could wait and save $$ if there is something remarkable better in the $3.5k range.

Was leaning toward the Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 but sounds like the FOV has been a knock on them. The Swarovski Z8i 2.3-18x56 seems to fit the bill but def out of my price range. Don't have to have illumination etc. Some others mentioned, Zeiss LRP S3 4-25X50, Swarovski Z5 3.5-18X44 and Leupold Mark 5hd 3.6-18X44.

Any help is appreciated.

Would like to keep it around the $2,500 range but could wait and save $$ if there is something remarkable better in the $3.5k range.

Was leaning toward the Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 but sounds like the FOV has been a knock on them. The Swarovski Z8i 2.3-18x56 seems to fit the bill but def out of my price range. Don't have to have illumination etc. Some others mentioned, Zeiss LRP S3 4-25X50, Swarovski Z5 3.5-18X44 and Leupold Mark 5hd 3.6-18X44.
The Leupold you mentioned has a reputation for zero shift and iffy reliability. The Zeiss you mentioned is 36 ounces which seems like a lot of weight on top of a very light rifle. An odd pairing. Swarovski scopes are about as reliable as Benedict Arnold so don't even consider them.

Seems a NF ATACR F1 4-16x42 would be appropriate for your budget, rifle, and use case. The NX8 2.5-20 has the reputation of a very unforgiving eyebox, not sure about FOV. If you were considering an NX8 a lot of people seem to love the 4-32x50. I'll link a few like-new demos EO is selling below.

The first is an unholy combo of MOA (which is Satan's preferred angular measurement) and a christmas tree reticle for $500 off retail on an ATACR 4-16 F1.

Honestly though I'd probably get one of these two depending on your preference on MOA vs MIL. The discount isn't as steep but you either get God's gift to angular measurement or a reticle that doesn't have a Christmas tree.

If your rifle wasn't so lightweight I'd tell you to to consider the Zeiss 6-36 instead of the 4-25 just based on the steep discount you could get on the 6-36, which is currently selling for $1,800.

The Leupold you mentioned has a reputation for zero shift and iffy reliability. The Zeiss you mentioned is 36 ounces which seems like a lot of weight on top of a very light rifle. An odd pairing. Swarovski scopes are about as reliable as Benedict Arnold so don't even consider them.

Seems a NF ATACR F1 4-16x42 would be appropriate for your budget, rifle, and use case. The NX8 2.5-20 has the reputation of a very unforgiving eyebox, not sure about FOV. If you were considering an NX8 a lot of people seem to love the 4-32x50. I'll link a few like-new demos EO is selling below.

The first is an unholy combo of MOA (which is Satan's preferred angular measurement) and a christmas tree reticle for $500 off retail on an ATACR 4-16 F1.

Honestly though I'd probably get one of these two depending on your preference on MOA vs MIL. The discount isn't as steep but you either get God's gift to angular measurement or a reticle that doesn't have a Christmas tree.

If your rifle wasn't so lightweight I'd tell you to to consider the Zeiss 6-36 instead of the 4-25 just based on the steep discount you could get on the 6-36, which is currently selling for $1,800.

Thanks! Was leaning toward the 2.5-20 over the 4-32 but the picky eye relief scares me. What about ZEISS LRP S5 318-50. A little out of my price range but do you think it's ALOT better than the NF options? I prefer the MOA. I would prefer less than a 4x magnification if possible but seems there are fewer options. Some of the areas I hunt are pretty thick, def noticed a difference w/ 3x vs 4x trying to find them.

Thanks! Was leaning toward the 2.5-20 over the 4-32 but the picky eye relief scares me. What about ZEISS LRP S5 318-50. A little out of my price range but do you think it's ALOT better than the NF options? I prefer the MOA. I would prefer less than a 4x magnification if possible but seems there are fewer options. Some of the areas I hunt are pretty thick, def noticed a difference w/ 3x vs 4x trying to find them.
I have no experience with the Zeiss S5 but people I trust to evaluate image quality indicate it doesn't compete as well in its price range ($3,500) compared to how the S3 does in its price range. As far as I'm concerned once you hit that $3,500+ price range the only things you should look at are Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, or maybe a S&B Ultra Short. I know Kahles has that new weird ass K328i with its freakishly large FOV but been hearing mixed reviews on that.

For $3,000+ I'd be focused on a used ZCO personally. Though @Formidilosus has extremely good things to say about the Minox ZP5 5-25 with THLR reticle and he has done droptesting on it. The ZCO droptesting jury is still out since the rings it was in turned out to be suspect apparently. I'm looking forward to seeing how it does with good rings because optically ZCO is great.

As a side note I don't want to preach too much but if you open yourself up to getting an MRAD scope you'll have more options. And it's just a better system of angular measurement.

Last edited:
Accupoint 4-16x50 for a grand.
If you really want a spectacular scope, splurge on a Polar and be done.
Not familiar with Polar is that a Trijicon Model? Sorry like I said experienced hunter newbie on scope knowledge

Not familiar with Polar is that a Trijicon Model? Sorry like I said experienced hunter newbie on scope knowledge
He's referring to a Schmidt and Bender Polar scope. They're widely regarded as the best low light hunting scopes you can buy in the US (since the Leica Magnus isn't sold in the US). But they're not really an ideal long range scope if you're going to play around with that hobby a lot.

Last edited:
Just bought a Seekins Element 6.5 PRC and am in need of some scope advice. Hunted my whole life but not super knowledgeable on scopes.

Most of my hunting will be for whitetail 200-300 yd shots in West TX, some elevation/mountains 150 ish feet tall. Will be shooting from sticks most of the time and walking. I have a 4-12 X 40 Vortex Diamondback on another rifle and want something with a little better FOV. I found it hard to locate some deer in the "mountains" with as much cover as there is. Also a little more range than the 4-12. (Will have some 400 yd occasionally)

Would like to be able to do some long range shooting as well 500 plus (would like to Elk hunt eventually) and target practice at long range but 90% of the time it will be for whitetail hunting.

Any help is appreciated.

Why are you looking at dedicated long range PRS scopes for shooting deer and elk at 500 yards? Those scopes are ridiculously compromised for field shooting animals even out to well past where bullets are terminally effective.

Why are you looking at dedicated long range PRS scopes for shooting deer and elk at 500 yards? Those scopes are ridiculously compromised for field shooting animals even out to well past where bullets are terminally effective.
Im not very knowledge on scopes obviously : ) Was trying to get something that could handle both hunting and long range target. But with 2 young kids, for the next several years it will be mostly used for hunting inside 500 yds for sure. Def open to any recommendations for more of a "hunting" scop. will be shooting off sticks alot if that matters.

He's referring to a Schmidt and Bender Polar scope. They're widely regarded as the best low light hunting scopes you can buy in the US (since the Leica Magnus isn't sold in the US). But they're not really an ideal long range scope if you're going to play around with that hobby a lot.
Spot on! I just kill stuff. I harbor no hard feelings for paper, steel and rocks.
To quote Dwight Yoakam in Slingblade "We don't need no f'n practice, Randy. "

@Formidilosus Is there more of a hunting scope that has some longer range capabilities you would suggest? Have read some good things about Steiner t6i 2.5-15 &3-18X56, Leica AMPLUS 6 2.5-15X50, could save up for a Zero Compromise or tangent theta but they seem like overkill for what I'll need. But this will prob be my last hunting rifle so wouldn't mind if it worth it. Thanks for any help!

@Formidilosus Is there more of a hunting scope that has some longer range capabilities you would suggest? Have read some good things about Steiner t6i 2.5-15 &3-18X56, Leica AMPLUS 6 2.5-15X50, could save up for a Zero Compromise or tangent theta but they seem like overkill for what I'll need. But this will prob be my last hunting rifle so wouldn't mind if it worth it. Thanks for any help!

The Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44mm SHR-Mil reticle is a way better hunting and field scope for even very long ranges than any of those.

Took me a while to learn but my evolution to ffp, mils, that less magnification equals more, is nearly complete. I have 2 used LRHS scopes and really like them. A Maven may be my next new scope.

I had a nx8 2.5-20 on an element for awhile and had to clearance the front of the pic rail because of the shape of the front objective to get proper eye relief without having to go to way high rings for me. I picked up a maven rs 1.2 and so far it’s my favorite all purpose hunting scope.

I had a nx8 2.5-20 on an element for awhile and had to clearance the front of the pic rail because of the shape of the front objective to get proper eye relief without having to go to way high rings for me. I picked up a maven rs 1.2 and so far it’s my favorite all purpose hunting scope.
Thanks, looks like they are sold out as of now. Any ideas when they will be back in stock? Would love to have it set up before November @cowboy300

I just bought the same rifle and have been trying to decide which direction to go for an optic. I have 2 NX8 2.5-20s and haven’t experienced any issues with eye relief, eye box, etc. I’ve been happy with it for sure, so will likely add another to the stable.

Back