School me on Spotting Scope Tripods

Jakerex

WKR
Bought my first spotting scope and plan to use it in various ways. I have no idea what type of tripod I need.

What do I need for glassing from camp, as well as packing with me, as well as at the shooting range? Is this one tripod, two, or three?

All I’ve ever used is a 40 year old bushnell that actually makes the target at the range look worse than the bare eye, on a small tripod, maybe 9” high, that sits on the bench next to the rifle / sandbags.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you use for a shooting rest? Bipod, sticks? Why carry both? I use a Bog Pod tripod. It serves both purposes. Just pop off the gun rest part and snap in the spotting scope mount. In the mountains you need something tall enough to sit the tripod on the downhill side and still be high enough. 9 inches is ok at the bench but you’ll need 24-36 inches in the hills. 906695B4-679F-4D4E-9400-959953BC90DE.jpeg

wytx

WKR
Get a window mount for the truck.
We luckily updated to a nice carbon fiber tripod about 3 years ago, game changer.

I’ve got like a $70 Vanguard, been happy with it on a couple high country trips. Some guys go big on like $400 Manfrotto but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it 🤣

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
I’ve got like a $70 Vanguard, been happy with it on a couple high country trips. Some guys go big on like $400 Manfrotto but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it

I like $70!
Which one works for you?

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
What do you use for a shooting rest? Bipod, sticks? Why carry both? I use a Bog Pod tripod. It serves both purposes. Just pop off the gun rest part and snap in the spotting scope mount. In the mountains you need something tall enough to sit the tripod on the downhill side and still be high enough. 9 inches is ok at the bench but you’ll need 24-36 inches in the hills. View attachment 233660

That Bog is pretty sweet. I’ve carried shooting sticks for a while but never used em. Usually shoot off a tree, rock, pack, etc.

I like $70!
Which one works for you?

I think it’s a Veo model - packed away right now but I can get back you in about a week.

What I did is go to Sportsman’s warehouse and tried several out. Would suggest that since buying site unseen doesn’t work as well for things like that.

Wapiti1

WKR
Depends on budget. The deal Cameraland has now is a good one for a very nice setup. https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/slik-cf-634-save-and-get-a-free-slik-sbh-400as-head.192937/

Generally speaking you may want three methods of mounting a scope. You have a tabletop and that is what I also use at the range. A window mount is handy as has been suggested. Finally, a full size tripod.

If you want to backpack, a compact model is nicer, but likely not easily used standing up. Full size models work for both, but get heavier since the legs are longer. This is where carbon fiber helps the most, but in most cases any CF tripod will be lighter than a comparable aluminum. You can use a ball head or pan and tilt head. I prefer pan and tilt, or my gimbal head for spotting scope use. My ball heads are used for photography.

If you plan on using it much standing up, you will want long legs. Using the center column to get height isn't nearly as stable as 3 legs are. On my tripods, the center column can only be used about halfway before it gets shaky. I have a big manfrotto for standing. It's heavy, all aluminum, but is a rock. It stays in the truck. My backpack tripods are a cheap little compact Slik and the CF634 above. One has a BeFree fluid head and the other has a Field Logic fluid head.

Any tripod can be used as a rifle rest. Bog Pod markets it, but they can all be adapted or just used like sticks.

Jeremy

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
So, maybe I can’t do all three with the same tripod. If I were to pick two, shooting range and back pack hunting. With an angled spotting scope. If I want to glass form camp I could use a chair. So, am I looking for a smaller tripod, one that extends from nothing to 24”-36” or so? That would be lighter to for the pack, right?

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on budget. The deal Cameraland has now is a good one for a very nice setup. https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/slik-cf-634-save-and-get-a-free-slik-sbh-400as-head.192937/

Generally speaking you may want three methods of mounting a scope. You have a tabletop and that is what I also use at the range. A window mount is handy as has been suggested. Finally, a full size tripod.

If you want to backpack, a compact model is nicer, but likely not easily used standing up. Full size models work for both, but get heavier since the legs are longer. This is where carbon fiber helps the most, but in most cases any CF tripod will be lighter than a comparable aluminum. You can use a ball head or pan and tilt head. I prefer pan and tilt, or my gimbal head for spotting scope use. My ball heads are used for photography.

If you plan on using it much standing up, you will want long legs. Using the center column to get height isn't nearly as stable as 3 legs are. On my tripods, the center column can only be used about halfway before it gets shaky. I have a big manfrotto for standing. It's heavy, all aluminum, but is a rock. It stays in the truck. My backpack tripods are a cheap little compact Slik and the CF634 above. One has a BeFree fluid head and the other has a Field Logic fluid head.

Any tripod can be used as a rifle rest. Bog Pod markets it, but they can all be adapted or just used like sticks.

Jeremy
Does a ball head not work well? It looks like that cameraland deal comes with one.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, maybe I can’t do all three with the same tripod. If I were to pick two, shooting range and back pack hunting. With an angled spotting scope. If I want to glass form camp I could use a chair. So, am I looking for a smaller tripod, one that extends from nothing to 24”-36” or so? That would be lighter to for the pack, right?

Typically the heavier the tripod the more stable it is. They make a huge difference with quality optics at higher power. I'd never look at the light wieght system first as you'll be disappointed because you can't understand the value in such a high cost system until you've used something else for awhile.
You can use a longer tripod for everything table top, sitting and standing depending on model but shorter tripods are limited.
Aluminum is cheaper and might be a bit heavier. Carbon is only a weight saver when all else is equal. A quality tripod head is the difference between enjoying using your tripod a lot or being frustrated with it.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does a ball head not work well? It looks like that cameraland deal comes with one.
Pan heads are usually designed where up and down can be locked and side to side can be locked and unlocked separately. This makes using heavy optics much easier to operate.

Ball heads work to only they are sensitive when you unlock the optic as they can move wherever. Some have a separate panning feature so they'll move side to side independent of the actual ball movement. They do wieght less then a pan head.

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
Pan heads are usually designed where up and down can be locked and side to side can be locked and unlocked separately. This makes using heavy optics much easier to operate.

Ball heads work to only they are sensitive when you unlock the optic as they can move wherever. Some have a separate panning feature so they'll move side to side independent of the actual ball movement. They do wieght less then a pan head.

Makes sense. I just upgraded to a Vortex Razor spotter and I wanna upgrade my tripod from a cheap vanguard. That tripod might be the ticket, I’ve been eyeballing it for awhile.

Wapiti1

WKR

The smaller tripods will top out at something like 40-48" for the legs alone (center column not extended) and full size tripods will extend to 50"- 60" without the center column. Smaller will be shorter when collapsed and weigh less. These numbers are just general heights. Each manufacturer has their own size ranges.

Either will work for sitting, and shooting. The smaller one with a center post will work standing, but just won't be as stable.

Size comparison would be like the Sirui T-1205S or ET-1004 or ET-1204 verses their T2205S or the Slik CF-634 above. The first ones are a little lighter and shorter than the other two. Also look at the number of leg sections. A 4 section tripod will have a lower min height, and be more compact when folded than a 3 section (in most cases).

As Realunlucky notes, aluminum will usually be cheaper, and may be as light or lighter that carbon fiber depending on the model.

For an angled scope, the shorter tripod will work well. Straight scopes need taller tripods.

Jeremy

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
I find it hard to believe that there isn’t a sub $100 tripod on Amazon that isn’t damn near the same as these expensive models. I’d imagine even most of the expensive ones come from China.....there’s gotta be a decent knockoff! Like Costco merino wool socks compared to darn tough socks!

While you do not need to spend a small fortune, this is one area that you do not go cheap; you can have a fully functional setup for $200-$300. Also, do not forget to ensure that whatever you go with can support the weight of your spotter (and any other gear you want to use).

When it comes to glassing, you want stability. Having an image that looks like its going over speed bumps does you no good. Take the money you'd have spent wearing out boots while looking for game and apply it to the tripod and head.

As far as a multi-tool, they're great till they break. Then you are SOL across the board. I can use my trekking poles as a shooting V, to glass off of (15s), etc. I can also use my tripod to glass, shoot from (shooting V), use as a trekking pole, etc.

On a more serious note, make old-school phone calls to various retailers to see what they can do for you. Doug is a site sponsor and he can steer you in the right direction.