School me on long range muzzleloaders

Ghanson4

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking to set up a muzzleloader for some cow elk hunts in states that allow magnified optics. I’ve been reading a few articles and threads about different makes and models and I’ve gathered that I want a fast twist .45 caliber muzzleloader. Does 209 vs large rifle primers make a huge difference out to 300 yards? What about 120 vs 150 vs 160 maximum bh209 loads?

Last edited:
Most long range rigs are .45 these days. Arrowhead uses the large rifle magnum primers and those guns are good way beyond 300. Also depends what you’re wanting to spend. Custom LR setups are pretty expensive.

OP
G

Ghanson4

Lil-Rokslider
Most long range rigs are .45 these days. Arrowhead uses the large rifle magnum primers and those guns are good way beyond 300. Also depends what you’re wanting to spend. Custom LR setups are pretty expensive.
I’m looking to buy something more in the range of the accura LR-X, Remington 700 ML, or traditions vortek. Something in the $500-$700 range.

what do you consider long range? for the price range your giving, I think the best bang for your buck would be a CVA accura LR-X. i have 2 friends that are running these in a 50 cal and group well out to 250 yards. sub MOA at 100 if the shooter does their part. they are both pushing the trusted receipe of 80 gr. by WEIGHT of blackhorn pushing a 290 T-ez Barnes.

from my experience, LRMP are more consistent and are overall better.

knight muzzleloaders are very nice and extremely accurate- a disc model is around $600 mountaineer is around $900+. you could always find a used one however?

the amount of blackhorn you can run in the gun largely depends on the gun you purchase. Most are rated for a max load of 120 grains by VOLUME. max weight would be 84 grains.

To answer your question on LRMPs vs 209s - No, you won’t see any real difference between them. I’d go with a 209 ignition rifle if I were you. 300 and under is totally doable with a decent off-the-shelf muzzy.

Seuss

FNG
what do you consider long range? for the price range your giving, I think the best bang for your buck would be a CVA accura LR-X. i have 2 friends that are running these in a 50 cal and group well out to 250 yards. sub MOA at 100 if the shooter does their part. they are both pushing the trusted receipe of 80 gr. by WEIGHT of blackhorn pushing a 290 T-ez Barnes.

from my experience, LRMP are more consistent and are overall better.

knight muzzleloaders are very nice and extremely accurate- a disc model is around $600 mountaineer is around $900+. you could always find a used one however?

the amount of blackhorn you can run in the gun largely depends on the gun you purchase. Most are rated for a max load of 120 grains by VOLUME. max weight would be 84 grains.
Thoughts on the Traditions Vortek VAPR ?

ENCORE

WKR
Thoughts on the Traditions Vortek VAPR ?
Worst CS in the industry.

Knight Ultra-lite or Mountaineer, fast twist 45cal. NOTE.... some states require 50cal for elk etc.

BH will easily get you to 500yds and with enough energy but, you'll need a heavier bullet, like the 350gr XLD with 1,586 foot pounds energy at 500. All with 120grs VOLUME of BH209.

Seuss

FNG
Worst CS in the industry.

Knight Ultra-lite or Mountaineer, fast twist 45cal. NOTE.... some states require 50cal for elk etc.

BH will easily get you to 500yds and with enough energy but, you'll need a heavier bullet, like the 350gr XLD with 1,586 foot pounds energy at 500. All with 120grs VOLUME of BH209.
I thought CVA was the worst?

OP
G

Ghanson4

Lil-Rokslider
Out to 200 yards would I realistically see a difference between a 45 and 50 cal? I have a CVA optima V2 that I use for hunting Washington and am debating if I need to buy a 45 cal muzzleloader too.

Rich M

WKR
Out to 200 yards would I realistically see a difference between a 45 and 50 cal? I have a CVA optima V2 that I use for hunting Washington and am debating if I need to buy a 45 cal muzzleloader too.

You should be able to shoot that Optima to 300 with some range time trying diff loads & bullets.

I've got one and it impressed me while sighting it in at 100. The 3 oclock shot was first, dialed it over and put the 4 in (pulled the lowest one), then dialed it up 3 inches to the 1130 mark. Took it out to 200/225 and it was about 12-16 inches low took 2 shots that landed about 3-4 inches apart. Didn't have time to work it any more so decided that 150 would be my max and went hunting - shot a 100# FL buck at 40 yards...

Load was 110 gr Triple 7, federal 209, crush rib sabot and 200 gr FTX bullet.

With a BDC scope, 250-300 is definitely doable. If irons, I'd go with one of those special peep sights.

100 yd ML.jpg

Last edited:

Hnthrdr

WKR
You should be able to shoot that Optima to 300 with some range time trying diff loads & bullets.

I've got one and it impressed me while sighting it in at 100. The 3 oclock shot was first, dialed it over and put the 4 in (pulled the lowest one), then dialed it up 3 inches to the 1130 mark. Took it out to 200/225 and it was about 12-16 inches low took 2 shots that landed about 3-4 inches apart. Didn't have time to work it any more so decided that 150 would be my max and went hunting - shot a 100# FL buck at 40 yards...

Load was 110 gr Triple 7, federal 209, crush rib sabot and 200 gr FTX bullet.

With a BDC scope, 250-300 is definitely doable. If irons, I'd go with one of those special peep sights.

View attachment 490943
Is that 110 gr by volume? I had to switch back to triple 7 after the Blackhorn became so dang scarce. I’ve been very impressed with CVA’s barrels on their muzzleloaders great inexpensive guns

Rich M

WKR
Is that 110 gr by volume? I had to switch back to triple 7 after the Blackhorn became so dang scarce. I’ve been very impressed with CVA’s barrels on their muzzleloaders great inexpensive guns
Yes by volume.

I didnt think the $ diff was worth it to go blackhorn.

To wring out the distance a .45 will be the better choice. I settled on the CVA accura, 209 primers, and BH powder. The Accuras have excellent barrels and is easily a 300yd gun. Honestly they arent far from single shot rifles nowadays.

MtnManTy

FNG
To wring out the distance a .45 will be the better choice. I settled on the CVA accura, 209 primers, and BH powder. The Accuras have excellent barrels and is easily a 300yd gun. Honestly they arent far from single shot rifles nowadays.
What bullet do you use with your CVA 45?

Red-Fin

FNG
Any opinions about the traditions vortex strike fire? Or where to start for accurate loads?

I am shooting a CVA Paramount with Arrowhead LRP ignition system, 105 grains by weight of Blackhorn 209 and a 285 grain .45 caliber Powerbelt ELR bullets. Shooting through my chronograph I am getting 2,240 fps out of it. At 100 yard I can shoot lest than 1 MOA. I have yet to stretch it out much further, but I am confident in its ability to reach out there to 300+ yards!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk