School me on Kestrel Units

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been saving for a kestrel that will read DA, in the meantime I’ve been using an app on my phone. That’s working pretty well so now I’m wondering if a kestrel to read DA is even needed.
If I turn off WiFi and go in airplane mode the app will work but I need to adjust temperature and dew point. Already having a weather flow reader I can get those really accurate if that is needed but majority of the time I can slide those close enough.
I realize a lot of people don’t want to do something like that but with a $450 kestrel unit riding on the decision I’m thinking I can manage for awhile.

Anyone else think of a reason the phone couldn’t get you good enough data for DA?
Set a kestrel in the sun or on the dash and your DA could be off. DA chart and a guess at what your alt and temp is gets me so close I can’t shoot the difference.

I lost Strelok when I got a new phone sadly. It had an option for just DA input. 15 degree temp swing and .1 pressure differential. .5moa difference at 1,000 yards. Im way too terrible to be shooting game at 500 let alone farther. For now Im putting my kestrel money into ammo instead. If I had the spare money I’d get one but dont pinch over it.

Edit: found the density setting so now I don’t miss Strelok as bad. But it was better.

Attachments

• IMG_9921.png
    IMG_9921.png
    201.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9920.png
    IMG_9920.png
    202.1 KB · Views: 16

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Many versions of Kestrel are available and other gadgets have pressure, like a Garmin watch.