School Me On AR Sights / Optics

JDZ

WKR
I'm new to AR-style rifles. I'm used to bolt-action rifles with big optics, and I like to make small groups at long distances.

But, I'm committed to NOT over-scope my new AR. The gun should be capable of sub-MOA.

I like the idea of a red dot or holographic sight (is there a difference?) for the quickness of target acquisition. But the idea of a big dot covering a whole target at 100+ yards is not appealing. I'd like to go with a 2 MOA dot at the biggest. A magnifier seems like a good thing for reaching out a little further.

How about a 1-4x scope with illuminated reticle? Will it still be quick to acquire the target at close range on 1x? Can I do detailed work out to 200 yards?

Help!

ncstewart

WKR
Burris makes a scope that is made for the ar platform. I shot one in Iraq that a buddy had and really liked it. He carried it the whole deployment and had no complaints. I think it was like a 1-6 power and it's short so it looks and handles good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JFK

WKR
Fixed power 4X like an ACOG or similar scope. The simplicity of it is nice, as is the ability to get on target from 10 yards to 200 yards. You probably won't be able to print tiny groups at 200 but you should have no problem getting acceptable accuracy out that far. Vortex, Burris and Primary Arms offer fixed power, illuminated prism sights for less money than the ACOG.

JayPee

FNG
I really like the vortex pst 1-4 illuminated on my AR. Quick acquisition, ability to shoot long range accurately, return to zero turret for easy elevation adjustments . Runs about 5 bills

HOT ROD

WKR
I have a aim point pro. U can pair it with a 3x magnifier. I am really looking at the vortex 3x magnifier now....

Tsnider

WKR
I have the vortex viper pst 1-4x on mine and it is really nice. used to have a red dot (lucid hd7) and after a few years i changed up and loved it. the vortex at 1x is a true 1x, and i could actually see more using it at 1x than my unmagnified red dot. it has an illuminated recital and is just an all around nice setup. i use a CMMG .22 conversion during the winter to go out and rabbit hunt at 1x, convert back over to .223 and go find some coyote.

you can find them used for around 300 from time to time.

Red dots - t2 micro is the top of the line. Eotech is good also. Better sight pattern but less battery life. Vortex is cheap but supposed to be good.

Magnified - acog 4x is good but spendy. A few other makers do 1-4x sights.

For antisocial purposes and under 100 yards, especially fast shooting inside 50 yards a red dot is the best. For tight groups and critters a bit of magnification is desirable. Even with heavy hand loads a 223 will be a mid distance round so you don't need too much glass. A 1-4x or 3x9 is more than enough.

I have two primary ARs (they tend to multiply) One wears a t2 micro. The other wears a 3x9 Leopold and has a small red dot mounted on top of the scope at the 2 o'clock position in a LaRue mount. The scoped gun gets played with more for plinking, target shooting and critter control. As for the red dot on top, It looks coool, costs a few hundred bucks and hardly ever gets used.

OP
J

JDZ

WKR
I bought a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24. Looked thru the Burris MTAC 1-4x24. Not really sure about quality, but Vortex had a nicer retical and the extra magnification suckered me in.

Now trying to decide on cantilever mount. I know I can't co-witness thru it, but would like that height for comfort and simplicity. Can night vision be used with this scope?

I have the strike eagle on my ar and am nothing but satisfied. I've never used a scope on an ar before, just a red dot but I don't see me changing that anytime soon.

Have an aimpoint that quickly mounts and removes plus a 6.5x20 leupold that quickly mounts as well. Depending on the mood both return to zero very accuratly A red dot with magnifier is very pricey....

HOT ROD

WKR
I have two ars. One is set up with a Burris 4.5 x14. I wanted another ar sit up more for a tactical. So that why I went with the aim point pro. Troy back up battle sights. I looked at magnifiers. And bye my eye. The vortex 3 magnifier is as good. Or a little better than the eotech. The vortex can be had for $200 or less. Check out GS-1 GG&G Tucson Arizona For Ur ar base. Its a extended pic rail mount. If U are mounting a rifle scope

Attachments

• Ar15.jpg
    Ar15.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 31

husky390

WKR
I'm very happy with my Trijicon MRO. If you go with a scope and want a lightweight AR, pay attention to the scope and mounts weight. Both can be heavy depending on the make and model.

OP
J

JDZ

WKR
Thanks. I found a Leopold Mark 2 IMS. Can't find a definitive answer on whether it is absolute co-witness.

If you go with a scope and want a lightweight AR, pay attention to the scope and mounts weight.

Yeah. I'm not excited about adding a lb of glass and another several oz of mount.

matthewmt

WKR
If price isn't an issue I would vote for a 1x6 vortex/leupold or get familiar with your holds on a aimpoint micro.
I have a aimpoint PRO as well and for the $ is hard to beat. I have ran a couple rifles out to 4-600 with trijicon ta31f.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
You need to figure out what you need/want. Me personally for something my well being might rely on, an aimpoint is numero uno. Durability, battery length, quality. Making hits out 300 with even a 4moa red dot is not difficult. Is it precise? No, but hitting an ipsc type target is relatively easy.

But I don't know what your use is. Is this a dmr type rifle? Cqb? Hunting?

OP
J

JDZ

WKR
dmr type rifle? Cqb? Hunting?

Not for military or paramilitary use.

Poking holes in paper out to 200 yards. Maybe varmint hunting. Prairie dogs. Rapid fire on tin cans at close range. Carrying around while animals outsmart me.

I don't know. What is the intended use for a 6-lb AR with a 16-inch barrel and a sub-MOA guarantee?

Anyway, as I said earlier, I bought a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24.