School Me On AR Sights / Optics

I've used an aimpoint micro, burris MTAC 1-4x24, and a Bushnell 1-6.5x24 on my ARs.

You will be able to shoot groups smaller than your dot with an aimpoint, and they are definitely my preference for quick shots inside 100 yds. I shot just fine at 300 yds on an 8" steel plate.

That said, I like a low power variable these days. Up close you don't really give up much to an aimpoint or eotech outside of shooting from super weird position (think laying on your side shooting under a car, aimoints/eotechs are king here), and you gain a lot of effectiveness at range, especially with a good reticle. My ideal setup would be a 1-6x variable with a BDC reticle for field use and an aimpoint for bedside use. Aimpoint's battery life is measured in years, so you just leave it on at all times and change the battery on your birthday or new years.

I have had terrible luck with a red dot or holo sight + magnifier, but that might just be my eyes. It turns the aimpoint's dot into a blurry red blob.

Leupold MRT 1.5-5 with an illuminated reticle is a good/solid optic for CQB and longer engagements. I have used a Leupold LRT (I believe it is a 2.5-10, haven't shot it in a while) for my AR varminter and partnered that with 77grn SMK's for hitting steel targets out to 800 yards.

Last edited:
Back