School me on .30-06

brushape

WKR
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1479445268.318901.jpg
Another monster 06 kill, this on was taken in its bed with a 180 core lock and just rolled over and put his feet in the Air

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16Bore

WKR
30-ought-throw-away-your-reloading-shit. Cartridge drama, yadda, yadda, yadda. It goes like this:

"Oh, I need a new wiz bang ultimate short compact ultra mag." Thats the first spoonful of dirt out of the rabbit hole. Then the reloading, then this bullet and that powder and that powder and THIS bullet. Oh, look at the BC on this one. I need it. Work up, work up, shoot, shoot. Wait, what about this bullet?? Work up, work up, shoot, shoot. Repeat. Repeat again. No wait, this is THE one. Oops, no it wasn't. I read some shit on the Internet, this bullet failed. Saw it with my own eyes, came right out of that dead deer over there. Whew....NOW I've got THE magic bullet. Work up, work up, shoot, shoot, shoooot.....

Shit, it's 1:30 in the morning. I gotta get up in 4 hours to go to work.

Whew, too tired tonight.

Whoops, kids wanna play. I'll monkey with it tomorrow. Damn. Shit, gotta cut the yard. Yeah, I could go for a few rounds of clays. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Eh, this shit is boring. Maybe I'll just narrow down to 3 rifles. Hmmm...

Damn, ya know.....2 is all I really need....hmmm, if I just had ONE really good one, that pretty much did everything I wouldn't need this bench full of shit.

Hello classifieds....

Hello 30-06

Hello money in my pocket and time to spare

Dang, didn't realize there were so many factory loads available. Hell, they work too...

Conclusion?

In all your efforts, you learned the in's and out's of ammo, rifles, and ballistics. Topped by the fact that after ALL the shooting, you're pretty damned good now and realize simply. "It ain't the arrows, it's the Indian"

Ask me how I know.

Granted, the ONE is a 270 (sentimental family reasons) but you get the point.

30-06 it and rock the phuqq on.....

hodgeman

WKR
Yeah, I've got to admit....I could take all the years of screwing around with guns and loads and bullets and scopes and distill it all down to a nice '06 and a case of Federal Premium with 180 Partitions.....and be perfectly happy till the day I'm done hunting for good.

Does anyone have experience with a shortened bbl in -06?
18-20", Shorter.?
curious how it would perform considering how many shorter bbl 308s are out there.
Looking at getting into a more mountain rifle type probably a tikka but wonder what bbl length is optimal.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I've got a 20". Moly'd 208 Amax at 2600 fps via RL-17.

WDZFMpc.jpg

luke moffat

Super Moderator
30-ought-throw-away-your-reloading-shit. Cartridge drama, yadda, yadda, yadda. It goes like this:

"Oh, I need a new wiz bang ultimate short compact ultra mag." Thats the first spoonful of dirt out of the rabbit hole. Then the reloading, then this bullet and that powder and that powder and THIS bullet. Oh, look at the BC on this one. I need it. Work up, work up, shoot, shoot. Wait, what about this bullet?? Work up, work up, shoot, shoot. Repeat. Repeat again. No wait, this is THE one. Oops, no it wasn't. I read some shit on the Internet, this bullet failed. Saw it with my own eyes, came right out of that dead deer over there. Whew....NOW I've got THE magic bullet. Work up, work up, shoot, shoot, shoooot.....

Whew, too tired tonight.

Whoops, kids wanna play. I'll monkey with it tomorrow. Damn. Shit, gotta cut the yard. Yeah, I could go for a few rounds of clays. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Eh, this shit is boring. Maybe I'll just narrow down to 3 rifles. Hmmm...

Damn, ya know.....2 is all I really need....hmmm, if I just had ONE really good one, that pretty much did everything I wouldn't need this bench full of shit.

Hello classifieds....

Hello 30-06

Dang, didn't realize there were so many factory loads available. Hell, they work too...

Conclusion?

In all your efforts, you learned the in's and out's of ammo, rifles, and ballistics. Topped by the fact that after ALL the shooting, you're pretty damned good now and realize simply. "It ain't the arrows, it's the Indian"

Ask me how I know.

HAHA...I hear ya on this....except for me its the .308 win cause I have never owned a 30-06 and grew up with the 308 win. My younger brother grew up with the 30-06 and thats all he ever hunts with. Both will do all I ever need for the animals I hunt, but whats the fun in that. So down the rabbit hole with a 338-06 and 358 win. :)

16Bore

WKR
308 works and I so want a Montana chambered in it. But cleaning house and that's waaaaay on the back burner.

WoodBow

WKR
I'm not chasing the level of critters as some of yall but it is .308 for me as well. I keep looking for a good excuse to buy another rifle but can not find one. Animals just keep getting dead.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU

Whew, too tired tonight.

Hello classifieds....

Hello 30-06

Conclusion?

Ask me how I know.

:):)
Go and hunt!

Randy

16Bore

WKR
Simply put, a 30-06 is a 308 +100 yards or a 308 is a 30-06 -100 yards.

16Bore

WKR
Boom.

Sometimes it's simply simpler to keep simple shit simple.

Any pet loads or bullet preference for Black Bears? I usually shoot the 168gr or 180gr Barnes TTSX or TSX. Any reason to go with a softer bullet for the bears?

I am going to work up a new load and get a CDS dial from Leopold for the VX-6 2-12 I just ordered. Going to take it to MT for spring bear coming up.

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider

Whew, too tired tonight.

Hello classifieds....

Hello 30-06

Conclusion?

Ask me how I know.

Yup, really well stated. Just far too many years later than I needed to hear it!!! Someone either on here or 24HCF has a sig that says something like "...cartridges are more alike than different..." Took me a long time and a lot of $ to figure that is very true (at least inside 500yds which is quite a long poke in the field for most moral dudes).

coiloil37

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have experience with a shortened bbl in -06?
18-20", Shorter.?
curious how it would perform considering how many shorter bbl 308s are out there.
Looking at getting into a more mountain rifle type probably a tikka but wonder what bbl length is optimal.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My preference is a 24" barrel but I do have some experience with 165's and an 18" tube. I won't post my loads but only the 200 grain load is over a book max.

165 accubonds and IMR 4064 gives me a hair over 3k fps from a 24" tube and 2850 fps from a 18" barrel. I've tried other powders and bullet weights in that 760 carbine but never been satisfied with the velocity so it only gets fed that load.

I also like 180 grain tsx with IMR 4350 for 2850 fps and 200 grain accubonds with RE22 at 2730 fps.

When I was working up a 165 grain load I tried IMR and h4350 but never got the velocities I could with 4064 so I gave up on that combination.

In two weeks I'll be hunting a moose with my '06 but here's last years elk which fell to the same rifle.

eaed46e2929de73a1a050fbd893dceb5.png

Just a little edit. Not a big bull but good eating. One shot at 270 yards and he went straight down without taking a step. Shot with a 180 tsx at 2850 fps.

92566ae1982b551ea1ea9f0b36ecba07.jpg

f74ecf102abd24fdc4056edf02c34d0a.jpg

Last edited:

Muttly

WKR

"Oh, I need a new wiz bang ultimate short compact ultra mag." Thats the first spoonful of dirt out of the rabbit hole. Then the reloading, then this
bullet and that powder and that powder and THIS bullet. Oh, look at the BC on this one. I need it. Work up, work up, shoot, shoot. Wait, what about this bullet?? Work up, work up, shoot, shoot. Repeat. Repeat again. No wait, this is THE one. Oops, no it wasn't. I read some shit on the Internet, this bullet failed. Saw it with my own eyes, came right out of that dead deer over there. Whew....NOW I've got THE magic bullet. Work up, work up, shoot, shoot, shoooot.....

Whew, too tired tonight.

Hello classifieds....

Hello 30-06

Conclusion?

Ask me how I know.

Aye.....

Just don't want wives reading that heresy...
Unless I,m fishin for a 30-06.
No 30-06, YET, strangely enough, seem to have a pretty good stash of 30-06 brass, and a bunch of 30 cal bullets, just in case.

Lapua brass is pretty nice, if you haven't rounded up brass yet.

16Bore

WKR
Well, I have to eat a little crow......

Made the mistake of shooting the 7mm I had posted in the classifieds for some "show off" groups and......uh.....well.....eh......hmmm....it's kinda sorta like not going anywhere?

Ok, but if it WAS a 30-06, it'd be staying anyway. Thank the lord for mounds of factory ammo.

Pass the mustard please, this shit is chewy....

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Well, I have to eat a little crow......

Made the mistake of shooting the 7mm I had posted in the classifieds for some "show off" groups and......uh.....well.....eh......hmmm....it's kinda sorta like not going anywhere?

Ok, but if it WAS a 30-06, it'd be staying anyway. Thank the lord for mounds of factory ammo.

Pass the mustard please, this shit is chewy....

Yur killin me!:)

Randy