Schnees width & length compared to Crispi?

EJDXT21

Lil-Rokslider
One other question for the Beartooth crowd.. anyone deal with squeaking around the lower tongue area? Seems like it’s the material around the tongue combined with the pressure from the laces creating a squeak when stepping? I’ve got a 2nd pair, different size on the way and was going to just see if the 2nd pair does it before I worry too much. Other than these couple issues, the quality of the boot is great. Much better stability and ankle support than the Nevadas (for me), so I returned the Nevadas to try and make the Beartooths work out.
Haven’t noticed any noise on mine. Have you tried putting healthy amounts of nikwax in that area? Not sure if it would help. May also try adjusting lacing. Instead of going from the first lace loops and going across the boot to the next set up, go straight up to the second ones then start crossing from there, if that makes sense.

tntrker

WKR
I had a pair of Scheens Hunters, which I sold after 1 hunt, and have bought a pair of Crispi Guides, which I liked instantly and still do and I have wide feet

OP
Hoosier_Guy
Haven’t noticed any noise on mine. Have you tried putting healthy amounts of nikwax in that area? Not sure if it would help. May also try adjusting lacing. Instead of going from the first lace loops and going across the boot to the next set up, go straight up to the second ones then start crossing from there, if that makes sense.
Haven’t tried the Nikwax yet. Trying to find the pair that fits me perfectly first, but then that’ll probably be one of the first things I try.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I had a pair of Scheens Hunters, which I sold after 1 hunt, and have bought a pair of Crispi Guides, which I liked instantly and still do and I have wide feet

Our Hunter Pac Boots are vastly different boots than the Crispis', which are a technical mountain boot? Curious what the backstory is there? We love feedback!

thanks - Matt

tntrker

WKR
Our Hunter Pac Boots are vastly different boots than the Crispis', which are a technical mountain boot? Curious what the backstory is there? We love feedback!

thanks - Matt
I loved the Scheen's Matt, but they kept giving me a blister on my pad under my big toe. I tried differant socks with liners and even superfeet insoles, which I didn't like. As long as I wore a Pedifix gel pad I was ok. Maybe it was because there were no 1/2 sizes as option....

EJDXT21

Lil-Rokslider
I loved the Scheen's Matt, but they kept giving me a blister on my pad under my big toe. I tried differant socks with liners and even superfeet insoles, which I didn't like. As long as I wore a Pedifix gel pad I was ok. Maybe it was because there were no 1/2 sizes as option....
tntrker,

Not to speak for Matt, but my understanding is that comparing a Pac boot, (Hunters) to a mountain boot, (Guides), is apples to oranges. Each has it's place and functions a little differently. You may have experienced the same frustrations with another brand of Pac boot and may have found the same relief with a Schnee's mountain boot. So it may have had nothing to do with Schnee's, but instead the style of boot. The only reason I am commenting is because I am currently looking into possibly buying a Pac boot for a late hunt and am trying to figure out the main differences and pros/cons etc. The 1/2 size thing is a bit concerning but I may need to address that with liners/socks or something else if needed. But I'll have to try them on to figure that out. Not sure if this is the first set of either of these style boots for the OP, but I know when I was initially looking it was almost overwhelming trying to get all the right info to make the right decision. Just want to make sure the OP knows what he is comparing when reading all this info.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Understood. As EJDXT21 wrote above, Pac Boots and Mountain Boots are just way different. I honestly like my pac boots to fit "sloppy" and loose. Because in cold weather, a tight boot is a colder boot and that extra room lets the insulation "loft." You also have more room for a thicker sock or double sock system. But a blister is a blister and I don't blame you for trying something different! It's all about what fit's YOU boot best!

- Matt

tntrker

WKR
Understood. As EJDXT21 wrote above, Pac Boots and Mountain Boots are just way different. I honestly like my pac boots to fit "sloppy" and loose. Because in cold weather, a tight boot is a colder boot and that extra room lets the insulation "loft." You also have more room for a thicker sock or double sock system. But a blister is a blister and I don't blame you for trying something different! It's all about what fit's YOU boot best!

- Matt
yes, I totally get it and like I said, I loved them and wanted to stay in love with them but just didn't work out. The one hunt was an Elk hunt in Montana, October, with snow on the ground. Not quite sure what conditions would have been better to use the Schnees for, but I was just stating my dealing with both as OP asked..

Last edited:

tntrker

WKR
tntrker,

Not to speak for Matt, but my understanding is that comparing a Pac boot, (Hunters) to a mountain boot, (Guides), is apples to oranges. Each has it's place and functions a little differently. You may have experienced the same frustrations with another brand of Pac boot and may have found the same relief with a Schnee's mountain boot. So it may have had nothing to do with Schnee's, but instead the style of boot. The only reason I am commenting is because I am currently looking into possibly buying a Pac boot for a late hunt and am trying to figure out the main differences and pros/cons etc. The 1/2 size thing is a bit concerning but I may need to address that with liners/socks or something else if needed. But I'll have to try them on to figure that out. Not sure if this is the first set of either of these style boots for the OP, but I know when I was initially looking it was almost overwhelming trying to get all the right info to make the right decision. Just want to make sure the OP knows what he is comparing when reading all this info.
ok, so what kind of conditions was the Pac boot made for? You assumed I used them in the wrong conditions. I was in Montana from an elk hunt, October with snow on the ground...I was just stating MY dealing with both as the OP had asked. I wasn't intending to "bash" the Schnee brand....

Last edited:

EJDXT21

Lil-Rokslider
ok, so what kind of conditions was the Pac boot made for? You assumed I used them in the wrong conditions. I was in Montana from an elk hunt, October with snow on the ground...I was just stating MY dealing with both as the OP had asked. I wasn't intending to "bash" the Schnee brand....
I actually didn't know what conditions you used the pac boot in and did not mean to sound like I was assuming you were using them in the wrong conditions. Snow on the ground sounds like perfect conditions for a pac boot and is why I am considering buying a pac boot. I want to do some late season hunts where there will be snow on the ground, and want my feet to be warm. I also realize you were in no way "bashing" Schnee's, as you stated you "loved" them and only had one issue.

My intention was to make sure the OP knew that comparing a pac boot to a mountain boot is not a fair comparison. Mountain boots typically have more ankle support, stiffer soles, harder soles, used in more rugged terrain, typically, and they do not have removable liners and so are harder to dry out if they get wet. Had you gone to a Schnee's mountain boot, you would have likely loved those too and found relief from your issue. And the OP probably knew this, but in the case he didn't, I wanted to point that out as to not confuse him so he could make the most educated decision possible. Sorry for the confusion there.

Eastfork

FNG
One other question for the Beartooth crowd.. anyone deal with squeaking around the lower tongue area? Seems like it’s the material around the tongue combined with the pressure from the laces creating a squeak when stepping? I’ve got a 2nd pair, different size on the way and was going to just see if the 2nd pair does it before I worry too much. Other than these couple issues, the quality of the boot is great. Much better stability and ankle support than the Nevadas (for me), so I returned the Nevadas to try and make the Beartooths work out.
i have some squeaking also! good amounts of boot grease help but ugh....

JakeShmevans

Lil-Rokslider
Replied to this sizing question on another thread on here, but our boots fit very true to size, in both width and length, and we mean that in the most literal sense. All of the lasts we build our boots on are sized against a brannock device, which is the metal foot sizing device in shoe stores, footwear departments, etc.. From a quality control standpoint, many companies out there don't strictly adhere to the brannock for sizing, which muddies the water a bit on size comparison between different brands, styles, etc... In my experience, our boots fit very true to size. Having said that, I pretty much always size up a half size in everything I wear, as I like more room for my toes and a heavier sock when needed. For example, my foot measures a 10.5wide and I wear an 11wide in our boots. I can fit the 10.5 just fine, but like I said, I personally like a little extra room.

Hope that helps
- matt
Matt, I’m looking for some Beartooths, and I seem to fall between a medium and a wide. Currently I have Kenetrek Mountain Extensions in 11.5M. Would you recommend the same size for the beartooths?