Schnees Beartooth 200g question

landman650

Lil-Rokslider
For those that have these, what temps have you comfortably worn these down to while still hunting? I hunt out west with usually a 1.5-2 mile hike in, sometimes sitting and glassing for long periods. Trying to find something more insulated than my Crispi Nevadas while not being too heavy/bulky but I’m concerned the 200g will not keep my feet warm enough for the upgrade in boots to insulated. My next thought was the Crispi wild rock 400g insulation. Any thoughts or advice is welcome

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
My Granite 200g boots are plenty warm when hiking at 20F when wearing wool liner plus cushioned hiking socks. I have not yet stood around in them in cold weather, but will report back as soon as I have some data. I've been down to -5F with Zamberlan Hunter Pros while hiking, but stopping would mean very cold feet. My feet definitely run "cold" when I'm not moving as I've experienced in Lowa Tibets at temps below 35F (dry & cold) or 40F (wet).

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Single digits, but would definitely get cold just sitting and glassing. I’d say stationary comfort is around 20 degrees.
For mountain hunting it’s all a compromise. If you go more insulation, your feet sweat on the hike in and then get colder than if you had less. I use the bear tooth 200g from 20-50, lower if I know I’m moving alot. Any colder or going to just be sitting I swap to pacs.

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
This is probably something that is going to vary alot person to person. My feet will sweat at the drop of a hat, so I generally don't break out my Beartooth 200g until the teens . Generally that's hiking and then sitting for 30 minutes or so. I've done that down into the sub zeros. Anything teens on up I generally use an uninsulated boot for that kind of activity. My feet will get cold, but not as cold as if they sweat.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Single digits, but would definitely get cold just sitting and glassing. I’d say stationary comfort is around 20 degrees.
For mountain hunting it’s all a compromise. If you go more insulation, your feet sweat on the hike in and then get colder than if you had less. I use the bear tooth 200g from 20-50, lower if I know I’m moving alot. Any colder or going to just be sitting I swap to pacs.

This is dead on.

Choupique

WKR
I like the uninsulated bear tooths with medium weight wool socks and very good core/lower layering. I find that I'm much more comfortable with really good core temp management and uninsulated boots. For all day cold sits, I loosen my laces up a bunch after I'm there and put on some big wool socks and let my walking socks dry if it's dry out.

I can't stand hiking in insulated boots. My feet sweat like a politician in church and then they're freezing the rest of the day. My feet just about melt in my 200 gr lacross boots. Above has served me well down to 10*

Poser

WKR
Go for minimum sufficient insulation for hiking. If you need more insulation for glassing, use overboots, OR Aerogel insulated gaiters, change into down booties, put on warmer socks, double up your socks and leave your boots untied, get in a sleeping bag…. Whatever you have to do.