Scent Control for Moose

JeffNC

FNG
How important is scent control for Newfoundland moose hunting? Heading there in October.

Whip

WKR
Haven't hunted Newfoundland, but moose are basically deer. Keep the wind in your favor. If it's not in your favor "scent control" products aren't going to do much for you.

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
I'd say that it depends on the situation, but it never hurts to be scent-conscious because moose have am extremely well developed olfactory system.

I bet I've bumped a lot of moose that were downwind when I'm stalking in the woods, based on recent beds and fresh pellets I've observed... Or catching a glimpse of a moose rump disappearing in the brush. Bedded moose pirmarily rely on scent and hearing for their safety in this scenario. Scent management is especially important during pre- and post-rut hunting.

However, I've also called in rutting bulls that circled to downwind and still kept coming in until they were within sight distance, because of my cow calls and raking. A rutting bull or cow in heat that is blinded by lust will often ignore scent and visual cues.

Last edited:
OP
J

JeffNC

FNG
I'd say that it depends on the situation, but it never hurts to be scent-conscious because moose have am extremely well developed olfactory system.

I bet I've bumped a lot of moose that were downwind when I'm stalking in the woods, based on recent beds and fresh pellets I've observed. Bedded moose pirmarily rely on scent and hearing for their safety in this scenario. Scent management is especially important during pre- and post-rut hunting.

However, I've also called in rutting bulls that circled to downwind and still kept coming in until they were within sight diatamce, because of my cow calls and raking. A rutting bull or cow in heat that is blinded by lust will often ignore scent and visual cues.
That makes sense. Sounds very much the same as deer. Thanks

Boston1

FNG
They have a very good nose. Pay attention to the wind. Don't worry about scent control products. Scent free clothing soap helps but if you're breaking a sweat hiking then they'll smell you if they're downwind.

OP
J

JeffNC

FNG
They have a very good nose. Pay attention to the wind. Don't worry about scent control products. Scent free clothing soap helps but if you're breaking a sweat hiking then they'll smell you if they're downwind.
Thanks. That makes sense.