Sawyer Squeeze Filter

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
The neck of the squeeze bags looks pretty small. How do you fill them up from small water sources like the 18" wide brooks that are common in the back country?

rye_a,

One option: You could use an old platypus liter or half liter that has ruptured. Cut the bottom off and you can use it as a lightweight, pliable water scoop for those skinny water situations. The corners allow for a good pour. Just roll it up with the dirty bags when done.

Gman

WKR
While you're answering that one what's your level of concern with the hallow fiber freezing? That's the reason I don't carry my MSR gravity when hunting (I will carry it in the summer months) - but carry the bombproof Katadyn Hiker Pro so I don't have to manage the hallow fibers and put in my sleeping bag at night, etc. Thoughts?

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm going to say that you'll get a lot of use out of them before they need changed out, but the only reason I say that is because my buddy at REI has 350 days in the field with his and it's going strong. His bag looks really bad, but again, no issues.

I'm not worried about the Sawyer as much as other hollow fiber filters as it's really small and easy to keep warm.