Saw recommendations

ozyclint

WKR
To you guys complaining about cutting bone with Silky's, what tooth size are you using?
I have a Silky Big Boy with a set of large, medium and fine blades. The fine blade goes through bone like butter. I use it at home when butchering. I can split a hanging pig or deer in half down the spine in what feels like seconds.

I suspect you're using large tooth blades meant for soft green wood.
Like what was said earlier- different materials require different tooth sizes.

Djacker

WKR
To you guys complaining about cutting bone with Silky's, what tooth size are you using?
I have a Silky Big Boy with a set of large, medium and fine blades. The fine blade goes through bone like butter. I use it at home when butchering. I can split a hanging pig or deer in half down the spine in what feels like seconds.

I suspect you're using large tooth blades meant for soft green wood.
Like what was said earlier- different materials require different tooth sizes.
I used a fine blade.

svivian

WKR

2.5oz

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I'm definitely not a good resource for ultralight advice but this saw works great for me...

If you're interested in a DIY route, a piece of 3/4" PVC and some p-cord will let you use any reciprocating saw blade. Just heat the PVC and flatten the end enough hold the saw blade (notches help keep it in place). I flattened the remainder of the pipe perpendicular to the end and wrapped it in hockey tape. The cord passes through the pipe and any stick can be used to twist/tension the blade. The 9" blade stores inside the handle for a super light option, but you can use any blade you want.

20240610_182932.jpg
20240610_182355.jpg

20240610_182236.jpg
20240610_181928.jpg

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider

2.5oz

I had forgotten about those. I have one of each size enroute from Jan. Thanks for the reminder!

WKR
I do euro mounts. If a guy skins the head, pops off lower jaw, carves out eyes and trims a bit, it cuts weight pretty good without sawing. Typically would debone with just a knife and no saw along. But everyone has their preferences.

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
I do euro mounts. If a guy skins the head, pops off lower jaw, carves out eyes and trims a bit, it cuts weight pretty good without sawing. Typically would debone with just a knife and no saw along. But everyone has their preferences.
Yup - I don't use a saw on an animal.