Savage model 10 upgrade questions (Stock, trigger, etc…)

ForrestP

FNG
After much internal debate I have landed on wanting to upgrade my savage model 10. The gun has sentimental value to me (first rifle, first deer etc.) and instead of making it a safe princes I would like to upgrade and keep hunting with it.

Savage model 10 (243)

So my questions are as follows.

What are the best stock options out there that work well and don’t break the bank? Are the savage stocks pretty plug and play or will any additional work need to be done?

What aftermarket triggers work well in the model 10 for a light crips pull? (I am not fond of the accutrigger)

Last are there options for a detachable mag? It is the “blind mag” so each would has to be fed and ejected from the top.

Any information on the above questions or anything else regarding the model 10 would be appreciated.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You can get a stock and use the Savage bottom metal and mags or maybe get one with M5 inlet for AICS magazines.

For the most part stocks are plug and play just have to make sure you get the right model for your action, barrel and bottom metal. Action screw spacing. Top release vs bottom release.

I ran the Rifle Basix trigger and it was an improvement. The Timney works too.

Lots of options for the Savage. Just match it with the features.

The Savage Shooters forum has a ton of info that is Savage Specific.

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
Stockys carbon fiber stock
The Stocky only accepts center feed short action with bottom bolt release, so that's probably not going to work being it is a blind-mag action. That should be stagger feed with 4.275" action screw spacing.

ETA: I believe Savage did use the new/current 4.40" spacing on a few blind mag models around the 2007-2010 time frame though.

Last edited:
I wanted to upgrade the stock on my savage but couldn’t find anyone to inlet for them. It’s a long action. Pure precision has a stock that will fit a long action savage but there’s only one stock option. You can try Boyd’s too if wanting something cheaper.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
Jard trigger. The savage sear is horrible. It is too simple for a really good trigger and the reason the safety lever on the accutrigger is there. You need something like the jard that starts over completely.

Also, double ejectors and a bigger detent ball behind the extractor made mine much more reliable.

They can be made pretty nice, but they are maintenance heavy. I ran one in prs matches for 2 years. I changed extractor springs, ejector springs, and extractors every 500 rounds or so.

I believe savage is under new ownership, but I got to the point where I needed new trigger parts and new striker springs. Savage would not sell to me. They would only sell the parts to an ffl. When looking at screwing around with getting parts and the reliability issues, I said screw it. I bought a TL3, a TT, and a Bravo. Pretty much zero maintenance on that system in 10's of thousands of rounds and hundreds of thousands of dry fires. (Firing pins break after about 10k dryfires, but now put a broken one in for dry firing, so no issues).

For stocks, if you plan on using the gun long term, get the best you can afford, bed it, and be done.

I also epoxied the pic rail to the gun to eliminate issues with movement there.

Good luck!

KenLee

WKR
I have a few old Savages that will outshoot most with heavy modifications. Be careful what you wish for if yours is a good shooter.
I hardly ever change triggers, as I used shotguns and slugs when I started big game hunting as a kid and learned to work with whatever I was handed...unless it was too light

Mojave

WKR
Bix and Andy just came out with a Savage prototype for SHOTSHOW. I'd buy that.

Lots of stock options, pick what you like.

Yes do an AICS bottom metal.

Ramem7mm

FNG
Bell and Carlson makes stocks for Savage. I bought one of them for a 7mm Rem mag and bedded the recoil lug only. Gun shoots pretty good.

Eleven

FNG
Forest, depending on what iteration of the model 10 you have (bottom vs top bolt release, 4.4” spacing etc) there are a couple of options. I have a Boyd’s laminate that I’ve modified to my liking as well as a KRG Bravo. And I’m getting ready to sell a Stocky’s carbon fiber that i just never got around to using.

if you are interested in going to the Stocky’s give me shout. mine will come with the plastic bottom metal as well, so you’d be able to run detachable mags.

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
You can get a stock and use the Savage bottom metal and mags or maybe get one with M5 inlet for AICS magazines.

For the most part stocks are plug and play just have to make sure you get the right model for your action, barrel and bottom metal. Action screw spacing. Top release vs bottom release.

I ran the Rifle Basix trigger and it was an improvement. The Timney works too.

Lots of options for the Savage. Just match it with the features.

The Savage Shooters forum has a ton of info that is Savage Specific.
Good advice concerning Savageshooters.com.