Savage 111 7mm *Resources Wanted

5catts

FNG
I own a Savage 111 7mm Rem Mag in a LH action. I've had it for quite some time and I'm trying to find resources regarding the build, stock options, and any other useful interesting info.

I purchased it probably close to 20 years ago, and just rediscovered the joy of using it. I mounted a Leupold VX-3HD CDS and would like to take advantage of the custom turret by finding some rounds that produce the best results. I'm probably not looking in the right places, or I'm heading down a path that isn't interesting to anyone...FNG syndrome I guess.

Thanks for any/all help!

JFK

WKR
Really it comes down to action screw spacing and whether it has a bolt release at the top of the action or at the trigger guard. That info will let you figure out what stock options are available to you. Besides that they are pretty simple, easy to work on, and generally shoot pretty well. Savage shooters forum is a good resource. Lots of info there.

I’d opt out of having a custom turret cut for the scope. It only works in one environment, altitude, with one specific type of ammo. You change any of those things and it’s off.

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
All Savage long actions have the same screw spacing, so that is one less variable. There have also been blind magazine rifles with NO bottom metal. Blind magazine rifles with a blank bottom plate, but with some of the same internal parts as the old detachable magazine. There were also long action rifles with detachable magazine with a release button on the side of the stock.

I couldn't find a stock to my liking recently for my old Savage with detachable mag. I modified a Stocky's designed for the current Gen. Rifles to accept my rifle. It was a decent amount of work to do so requiring removal of some material for the bolt release, magazine well, and around the trigger assembly. I also had to build up bedding for the bottom metal and trigger guard. I also had to drill the side of the stock for the mag release button.

The result was as desired, I cut a pound of weight, but it is admittedly muzzle-heavy now though. If your rifle is right hand, you should have more options than I did. Also if weight cutting is not an end goal, I'd see if Kevin Rayhill is still building his "Stockade" stocks as they are solid and well made fiberglass stocks, though on the heavy side of life for sporting use. My short action stocks from him are around 40-43oz. including butt pad.