Savage 110 Ultralite: .270 or 30-06

WKR
You might find this interesting, maybe, but lately I've become very fond of my pair of .375 Holland & Hollands for larger bull elk for close range jump shooting in super thick cover and/or for cross-canyon shots out to 500 yards. Just sayin' ......
Several times I’ve said that if I ever feel the need to go up from .270, I’m going way up. Something in the 9.3 or .375 class. No 7s, 8s, 30s, 33s, or 35s of any persuasion. If I step it up, it’s going to be a big step.

At less than 400yds , I have to give my vote to the 30-06 for just range of bullet weight. Plus, in the current state of ammo availability, I am still seeing a ton of 30-06 ammo in varying weights/loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to say that both are great calibers.

The 30-06 has bigger, heavier bullets with more recoil and a longer barrel life.

The 270 has less recoil, shoots smaller bullets faster, and will burn out your barrel quicker.

If you look at the energy levels both will get the job done.

I shoot the 270 only because it was on sale. If the 30-06 was on sale, I would have happily picked up the 30-06 for my one hunting rifle. Both are excellent! That being said, on paper the 280 AI beats both if you think you are going to get into hand loading...

Last edited:
OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up going with the 30-06. Both calibers seem to be great for my intended use, so I decided to go with whatever ammo appeared to be less expensive so I could practice more.

Good on you, OP! Glad you have a new toy that you can start shooting.

With respect to barrel life, that would be very low on my list of the reasons to choose one over the other as it is easily in the thousands of rounds either way.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I ended up going with the 30-06. Both calibers seem to be great for my intended use, so I decided to go with whatever ammo appeared to be less expensive so I could practice more.

Good choice, 30-06 is a great cartridge and with modern bullets and powders it really is pretty great.

I’ve been researching a similar question- I think both will kill elk deader than dead if you hit them where you need to, and both would let a gut shot animal limp off and die days later. You’ll have a better variety of bullets available for the ‘06, and dang near .30 cal magnum performance. For me, the bullet selection nudges it toward the ‘06. Also, of note is the weight range of bullets- .270’s are usually limited under 150, whereas an avg. ‘06 load is around 180gr. The ‘06 isn’t “sexy” anymore, but danged if it doesn’t still work like a charm 90% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kmr654

FNG
I have this rifle in 6.5 cm and I love it. I am seriously considering adding the Ultralite in 30-06. How do you like it? How is the recoil?

OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
I have this rifle in 6.5 cm and I love it. I am seriously considering adding the Ultralite in 30-06. How do you like it? How is the recoil?
It's not bad at all, especially suppressed. I did end up changing stocks because the forend was contacting the barrel with the suppressor and bipod attached. The additional stock weight probably helped some with the recoil, but it wasn't bad in the original stock. Other than that, the rifle has been great.

h2so4

WKR
It's not bad at all, especially suppressed. I did end up changing stocks because the forend was contacting the barrel with the suppressor and bipod attached. The additional stock weight probably helped some with the recoil, but it wasn't bad in the original stock. Other than that, the rifle has been great.
What stock did you go with?

h2so4

WKR
Have you had any issues with the forend flexing and touching your barrel?

Not that I have observed.
I'd like to change my answer. I have observed it flexing. It is not nearly as sturdy as you'd hope. However, it's been shooting excellent for me and I've not had any accuracy issues. I was able to hit steel at 500 yards with a vx5 2-10. I know that isn't "long range" for most people, but I was satisfied with my performance.

OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
What stock did you go with?
Boyd's Gunstocks Pro Varmint. It's no longer a "lightweight" gun, but hunting with suppressors for me is a requirement and that stock was able to be cut down to 12.5" LOP with a near vertical grip. I'm too young to have this much tinnitus lol.

I did have to have my gunsmith open up the barrel channel to accept the larger contour barrel. I'm pretty sure the "non-ultralight" stock will work with minimal modification (something to do with the barrel lug design differences, I think), but I opted for a more vertical grip due to the smaller LOP.

Unckebob

WKR
Yeah, probably wouldn’t be my first choice now but back then I didn’t really know better. I always used 130g Winchester silver tips. I never lost one or even had to track anything very far. Elk, mule deer, black bear, pronghorn, the 270 did great.

Now days, with modern powder and bullets, the 30-06 is just getting better and better.

The 270 also benefits from better powder and bullets.

With both cartridges well over 100 years old, they both remain relevant because they are both very good at taking game out to reasonable ranges. The 270 remains the flatter shooting of the two and the '06 retains the ability to use slight larger/heavier bullets.

49ereric

WKR
30.06 with 150 grain Sierra PH-SP and a full load of IMR 4350 if not recoil shy.
180 gr for the woods,

Unckebob

WKR
Not a whole lot of difference between the two when using "like" bullets. The 30-06 is a whopping 0.031" larger when it comes to diameter.

Distance is immaterial; just range the target and dial (after validating your ballistics).

View attachment 397092

Slightly OT, but where are you getting data that you can offload to what looks like an Excel spreadsheet?

On Topic: I ordered a 20" Criterion barrel in 270 for my Origin Action.
I expect it to perform great with a suppressor.

TheHammer

WKR
I had one in a 28nosler (wouldn’t recommend) if I were to buy another it would be in a 300wsm. Out of the two suggested the 06 imo would better serve you. Both a wsm and 06, I’d have choice ammo load up a custom 175lrx round for and you would be pretty happy with it. Maybe even a blazing 168gr ttsx. I typically use unknown munitions but unless dealing with Jake directly, the email responses are sub par.

Slightly OT, but where are you getting data that you can offload to what looks like an Excel spreadsheet?

On Topic: I ordered a 20" Criterion barrel in 270 for my Origin Action.
I expect it to perform great with a suppressor.
Export from app (Strelok Pro) and import into Excel.

Only reason to buy .270 is if you're mainly using 130s.

I see no reason to buy a .270 if you're going to be using 150s and up.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord