Savage 110 Ultralight Caliber suggestion

banded_drake

Lil-Rokslider
Wanted to get different opinions/info from y'all on the best all around caliber for elk, deer, etc. I want to be able to shoot 500-600 yards and still have enough energy. I get a little overwhelmed looking at all the data to help me make a decision. I do plan to reload my own for this rifle and I'd like to be able to take the recoil out with a muzzlebrake and eventually a suppressor. The calibers I'm currently looking at are the 300 wsm, 28 nosler, 270 win and 6.5 PRC. I'd just like to hear from you guys that have more experience in these rounds as to which would be the better choice and why.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

gbflyer

WKR
Recently fired a Franchi Momentum in 6.5PRC. I’d be tempted to look at that one if I were looking for lightweight and had it narrowed down to your list of cartridges. Few bucks less than the Tikka, decent quality and MOA guarantee which it did with ease. The muzzle brake was very effective, loud and probably unnecessary. Looks like it would screw off fairly easily.

I have been a Savage owner for years. They started out as a serviceable rifle, crude in their own way but quite accurate and a reasonable cost. They are still crude, serviceable and accurate however they are no longer priced as such.

OP
B

banded_drake

Lil-Rokslider
We just had another conversation on this exact topic: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/need-help-deciding-on-a-caliber.283269/

600yds and in you have zero need for a magnum imo. I also dislike savage, but your $, do whatever you want.
I did see that thread and ultimately he went with the 280, but no feedback on the performance of that round through that gun. Yes I'm on a budget, but I want something accurate, deadly to 500-600 yards for large game, and somewhat lightweight for packing in. I don't want to over do it on a rifle so I can have more funds to put towards optics

You say you dislike savage, I'd like to hear your thoughts on it. Any other rifles you'd recommend?

Any of them will get you to 600 yards with enough velocity. It’s up to you if you care about energy at that point. If not, then the less recoil the better. Another consideration is barrel length if You are planning on a suppressor one day. The 28n and 6.5 both have 24” barrels. the rest have 22”

I've had 4 total savages. a 10, and 3 x 116s. The two 300 wsms were attrocious in the accuracy department. None fed well, and the scope mounting options were poor, particularly the thread engagement on the front base mounting screw, which was typically about 3/4 of a turn on the 116s. That's not enough. I broke my own rule and bought a savage mk II earlier this year, and ended up stripping out all of the scope mount screws at <10 in-lb. So, I had to tap them out to 8-40 and also jb welded the pic rail onto the action for good measure.

I am a fan of tikkas at the moment. They're cheaper than the 110 ultralight, the action and trigger designs are better, they cycle and feed smoother, and in my experience more accurate. Even if you choose something else, they're worth looking at while you shop around.

I assume you've seen the 223 and 6.5 kill threads.

The data there makes me think anything larger than 6.5 creed is completely unnecessary for north american game at your stated range.

ecollier

FNG
28 nosler would be my bet if I had to choose just one. I’m also a big fan of the .284 bullet for what it’s worth. Always opt for more energy with elk.

TheHammer

WKR
I had one in a 28 nosler, hated it, currently on the market for one in a 308. If sticking 7/284, the 280ai is phenomenal! I’m a savage guy and have a handful of them. None of my 110s have had issues on savages behalf, sure a bolt track on my lightweight storm (highly suggest) got the 300grit compound and felt ball, but it would’ve been fine the way it was, can’t say the same for the browning and tikka I had.

What exactly is drawing you this particular rifle? Mine (6.5 PRC) came in several ounces overweight. Shoots commercial ELD-X and ELD_M very well and shoots hand-loads exceptionally well. It has been a Coues slayer and has killed them at some crazy distances (plus some short ones too).

A local BP had the Ultralights on sale for around $850 and I took a hard pass. I should have bought them and resold them but I am done adding new Ultralights to the arsenal.

Unckebob

WKR
If you are willing to live with shortages in the short term, get a 7 PRC. It is basically a modernized 7mm Rem Mag. If recoil concerns you, get a 280AI.

Otherwise, from your list, I would get the 270. There is a reason it remains popular after 110 years. Plentiful ammo is a big plus.

jimh406

WKR
Tikkas are junk .... joking. Seriously though, this thread is about the Savage Ultralight. Tikka makes nothing equivalent with a Proof Research Barrel.

Anyway, I went with 300 WSM due to ammo availability in my area, and the possibility of shots on Elk. Out to 500-600 yards, I don't think any of the newer calibers are a significant ballistic advantage. There is a Savage Ultralight group on FB if you go there.

Savage Ultralite Owners Group

People are reporting excellent accuracy there for different calibers. The guns are light and kick pretty hard without a brake or suppressor. If you haven't shot a magnum, keep that in mind.

My new Ultralight in .308 is delivering the goods in the accuracy dept. 0.7's @ 3k with 150 TTSX's from a 6 lb. 14 oz. rig all-in aren't too shabby. At that point, 500 yds. is more about the shooter than the rifle.

OP
B

banded_drake

Lil-Rokslider
Tikkas are junk .... joking. Seriously though, this thread is about the Savage Ultralight. Tikka makes nothing equivalent with a Proof Research Barrel.

Anyway, I went with 300 WSM due to ammo availability in my area, and the possibility of shots on Elk. Out to 500-600 yards, I don't think any of the newer calibers are a significant ballistic advantage. There is a Savage Ultralight group on FB if you go there.

Savage Ultralite Owners Group

People are reporting excellent accuracy there for different calibers. The guns are light and kick pretty hard without a brake or suppressor. If you haven't shot a magnum, keep that in mind.
Man there's a FB group for everything these days lol.

As far as reason for wanting the savage, I just like the idea of how lightweight it is, the adjustable stock, the Proof carbon wrapped barrel, and the reports of very good accuracy. I don't have a huge budget now to build a fully custom rifle, and I figured this one gives me room to adjust and customize later on as I go.

My biggest decision I'm trying to make is what caliber I want to go with. Realistically 600 yards will probably be my max, just personal, until I get more comfortable with kills in the long range department. So I want a caliber that ballistically will do the job at those distances if needed, remain accurate, and I get a little lost and overwhelmed trying to look at all the data and compare.

After talking with a buddy that does a lot of long range shooting and hunting in Colorado, I'm beginning to lean towards the 6.5 PRC

jimh406

WKR
I considered the 6.5 PRC. But, I couldn't find brass or ammo when I bought mine. That situation has probably changed now.

Man there's a FB group for everything these days lol.

As far as reason for wanting the savage, I just like the idea of how lightweight it is, the adjustable stock, the Proof carbon wrapped barrel, and the reports of very good accuracy. I don't have a huge budget now to build a fully custom rifle, and I figured this one gives me room to adjust and customize later on as I go.

My biggest decision I'm trying to make is what caliber I want to go with. Realistically 600 yards will probably be my max, just personal, until I get more comfortable with kills in the long range department. So I want a caliber that ballistically will do the job at those distances if needed, remain accurate, and I get a little lost and overwhelmed trying to look at all the data and compare.

After talking with a buddy that does a lot of long range shooting and hunting in Colorado, I'm beginning to lean towards the 6.5 PRC

I'd either go 6.5 PRC or .280AI for what you're wanting. Either one will be on a long action. The .280AI will have a 22" barrel (I believe) which will help with weight and handling. Don't expect that 6.5 PRC to be all that light though. With a 6.5 mm bore, 24" barrel and long action, that rifle will be around 7 lbs. bare. Light for what it is, but not exactly ultralight.

OP
B

banded_drake

Lil-Rokslider
I'd either go 6.5 PRC or .280AI for what you're wanting. Either one will be on a long action. The .280AI will have a 22" barrel (I believe) which will help with weight and handling. Don't expect that 6.5 PRC to be all that light though. With a 6.5 mm bore, 24" barrel and long action, that rifle will be around 7 lbs. bare. Light for what it is, but not exactly ultralight.
What about in a 270? It has the 22" barrel as well and I already do some reloading with it for my son's rifle so I would already be set up for it. Can I get good accuracy out of it at the longer ranges as well as the energy needed

What about in a 270? It has the 22" barrel as well and I already do some reloading with it for my son's rifle so I would already be set up for it. Can I get good accuracy out of it at the longer ranges as well as the energy needed

Accuracy, sure. Not sure about the energy though.

Ragu

FNG
If you plan to target elk, I'd go 300 WSM. I have the Ultralight WSM, added brake and it's been an easy shooter.