Savage 110 Ultralight Broken trigger guard

Going to be calling Savage tomorrow for parts to replace my (plastic) trigger guard. Last night I went to remove the bolt in my 110 Ultralight in 6.5 PRC. I pressed the release plunger and trigger at the same time and the trigger guard and plunger literally broke in my hand. Wasn't using extreme pressure or hammering on it, - it just broke. Needless to say I was very surprised and irritated. It broke on both sides of the action screw that sits under the plunger on the barrel end of the trigger guard. Plunger no longer works so can't get the bolt out at all now. Has anyone else had a problem with these and are there 'better' aftermarket parts that will replace the plastic with metal? For what it's worth, I've only used a dedicated 40 inch-pound torque wrench to properly torque the action screws (Savage's spec for that stock/action).

Attachments

• Savage 110 Ultralight Trigger guard.jpg
    Savage 110 Ultralight Trigger guard.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 26

Kylerjay05

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Ultralite in 28 nosler, and I have not experienced any issues after multiple take downs. In my experience though, Savage has excellent customer service so I believe a call to them will provide quick solution. If it wasn't over torqued, I'd surmise that it was just a flaw from the factory. Keep in mind that the rear screw isn't torque spec'd just barely snug.

OP
L
Thanks. I have already planned on calling them in the morning.

Also, thanks for the reminder on the rear trigger guard screw. I know it is not torqued, but simply tight enough to hold the back of the trigger guard on. I appreciate you mentioning it.

OP
L
By the way Kylerjay05, how do you like your 28 Nosler in the ultralight? I’m assuming that is a long action version of the same rifle?

Kylerjay05

Lil-Rokslider
By the way Kylerjay05, how do you like your 28 Nosler in the ultralight? I’m assuming that is a long action version of the same rifle?
So far, it's been a real joy to carry and a very accurate rifle. I worked up a load using 160gr accubonds using retumbo powder. Not sure I would ever change. There's obviously sacrifices that were made to save weight but none that weren't worth the weight savings.

Ragu

FNG
The exact issue happened to my 300 WSM UL trigger guard. Contacted Savage and they replaced free of charge. Never found a sturdier substitute.

That's not terribly uncommon unfortunately. I've never had it happen but I've seen several rifles that did. There are metal trigger guards for top bolt release actions but I'm not aware of any for bottom bolt release actions unfortunately. Savage is usually really good about CS though.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord