Savage 110 Trail Hunter

rdramsey8

FNG
I just ordered a Savage 110 Trail Hunter in 308 Win. Anyone here have one of these or seen one in person? I live in a small town and unfortunately am not able to put my hands on many rifles. There are a few reasons I decided on this rifle, despite not owning any savage firearms previously.

1. Cerakote finish
2. AICS mag compatible
3. Seemingly large aftermarket support

Would love to hear some opinions (good or bad) while I wait for my rifle! Really hoping for MOA (maybe sub MOA) performance, but I’m keeping my expectations low until I get it out on the range. Planning to throw a SWFA fixed 10 on it, that’s what I have on my Kidd 10/22 trainer, so looking to keep some consistency in in my training/field rifles.

Honyock

WKR
You're probably not going to get a lot of love on here for the Savage. I personally have been very pleased with the two that I have. IMHO I don't think you can find a more accurate rifle near their price point. I have a 6.5 Creed High Country that shoots 0.71 inch groups using 140 grain Rem Core-Lokt (better with ELD-M). It's a little on the heavy side but I'm 5'6" and the ability to adjust the length of pull is worth it to me.

KenLee

WKR
I have a 110 Apex Hunter in 30-06 and 300wsm that shoot plenty good. I just look at groups, don't measure them, but I'm sure both shoot no bigger than one inch groups with factory cheap Hornady Whitetail ammo.

Unckebob

WKR
You're probably not going to get a lot of love on here for the Savage. I personally have been very pleased with the two that I have. IMHO I don't think you can find a more accurate rifle near their price point. I have a 6.5 Creed High Country that shoots 0.71 inch groups using 140 grain Rem Core-Lokt (better with ELD-M). It's a little on the heavy side but I'm 5'6" and the ability to adjust the length of pull is worth it to me.

We have no time for you shorty! [pot calls kettle black😀]

I like my 6.5CM for the same reason. I don't understand why all composite stocks do not have LOP adjustability.

OP
rdramsey8

rdramsey8

FNG
Picked up my rifle and got it mounted up with a SWFA 10x42 that I had. There are certainly a lot of mixed feelings out there on the Savage rifles, but I’m actually pretty impressed for a $513 suppressor ready rifle. The hogue stock isn’t great, but I have a OD green Magpul Hunter stock that’ll be here next week. Trigger seems decent enough, but I’ll eventually replace it with a Timney. Overall for $760 with the stock, I think it’ll do as an all around hunting rifle. If it groups well after getting the stock installed, I’ll pick up the same rifle in 300 Win mag and set it up the same way for longer shots and bigger game.

IMG_8789.jpeg

OP
rdramsey8

rdramsey8

FNG
Got the new stock installed, HUGE improvement over the floppy Hogue stock. The Magpul stock is rigid and the barrel is completely free floated now. The Magpul AICS mag has zero issues seating in place and the feeding/ejection is reliable. I also installed the factory Savage tactical bolt handle for increased leverage and that has made the heavy bolt lift that the 110’s are known for a nonissue. I have a Kinney extractor kit and a Timney trigger on the way. The extractor kit is just in case the rifle develops any extraction issues, but so far so good. The accutrigger isn’t bad, but I’ve had Timney triggers on Remington 700’s in the past and I’m a fan. All in all, I’m extremely happy with the rifle for a budget option while I wait for my Bighorn Origin build to be completed (this rifle with additions is less than the Origin action alone cost me).

IMG_8851.jpeg
IMG_8852.jpeg

TheHammer

WKR
Every savage I’ve owned besides a UL in 28nosler has been moa or better. My high country in 300wm is consistent sub 1” at 300 and 3” at 600. LW storm in 308 is usually sub 1” at 200. 300wsm timberline is sub 1” at 200. UL in 308 is 1” @ 200. LW storm in 7mm 08 is my least accurate and that is a moa rifle. Even my 450bm 110 is a 1” gun. I’ve had fierce and christensons that were no good, needed to go back several times… haven’t had a savage present an issue in all my years.

OP
rdramsey8

rdramsey8

FNG
Every savage I’ve owned besides a UL in 28nosler has been moa or better. My high country in 300wm is consistent sub 1” at 300 and 3” at 600. LW storm in 308 is usually sub 1” at 200. 300wsm timberline is sub 1” at 200. UL in 308 is 1” @ 200. LW storm in 7mm 08 is my least accurate and that is a moa rifle. Even my 450bm 110 is a 1” gun. I’ve had fierce and christensons that were no good, needed to go back several times… haven’t had a savage present an issue in all my years.
That great to hear! I was a little hesitant to buy the rifle at first, but figured with the price point and the fact that it checked all the boxes for what I was looking for, it was worth taking a chance. Now that I have it all set-up, I’m happy I did and more impressed than I thought I would be.

I ordered a Bighorn Origin action that I’m planning to put a Proof carbon barrel on and put it in either a McMillan or a Manners stock…this Savage rifle allows me to take my time with that build as it’ll be 3k+ before glass. I’ve had a few Remington 700’s in the past and was just never really happy with how they shot out of the box.

Honyock

WKR
That great to hear! I was a little hesitant to buy the rifle at first, but figured with the price point and the fact that it checked all the boxes for what I was looking for, it was worth taking a chance. Now that I have it all set-up, I’m happy I did and more impressed than I thought I would be.

I ordered a Bighorn Origin action that I’m planning to put a Proof carbon barrel on and put it in either a McMillan or a Manners stock…this Savage rifle allows me to take my time with that build as it’ll be 3k+ before glass. I’ve had a few Remington 700’s in the past and was just never really happy with how they shot out of the box.
Savage is not sexy looking or expensive so they can't be good, right? I think a lot of the hate that Savage gets is because they are relatively inexpensive. I'm a utilitarian with my hunting rifles and to me they are tools. As long as they get the job done in an efficient manner, I don't get caught up in how it looks or what others think. If I have a sub $1,000 gun that shoots sub MOA (which my 300 WSM and 6.5 Creed did straight out of the box) and is reliable, what am I getting in a $2-3,000 gun? I'm going to guess that if you go to a long-range competition there will be several Savage actions being used. There's a reason that the model 11 action has been in production for as long as it has.

TheHammer

WKR
Savage is not sexy looking or expensive so they can't be good, right? I think a lot of the hate that Savage gets is because they are relatively inexpensive. I'm a utilitarian with my hunting rifles and to me they are tools. As long as they get the job done in an efficient manner, I don't get caught up in how it looks or what others think. If I have a sub $1,000 gun that shoots sub MOA (which my 300 WSM and 6.5 Creed did straight out of the box) and is reliable, what am I getting in a $2-3,000 gun? I'm going to guess that if you go to a long-range competition there will be several Savage actions being used. There's a reason that the model 11 action has been in production for as long as it has.
I for one happen to like the way some of them look and feel. I’ve handled everything from other manufacturers and don’t care for most of them. I did swap out a stock on my lightweight storm, which I’m impartial to the way it feels now. The trigger fits my shot process well, especially the fact of how light you can get a few of them. Sure they have their quirks, some of which can be addressed. Hopefully the op’s rifle fits him and his needs well!