Satellite communicators worth the cost?

I have an inreach. They are cheap when you compare it all out.

Its an investment that I hope to never see a return on.

Man that's crazy. Looks like quite the wipeout!
It was crazy. I am definitely much more cautious now. I always had this silly idea that I could just jump off in time if it goes bad. Nope. That think was on top of me before I knew it had started. A little PTSD now when riding, which is probably a good think when it comes to my longevity.

On July 19th, 2023 I was scouting in the San Juan National Forest for my daughter's upcoming archery hunt. I am 77 years old. A couple of years ago prior to a late season elk hunt my son called and said we ought to get a couple of inreach minis. Mostly so we could text when out of phone coverage. After a little research, we each got one and use the $14- plan. I will condense this considerably, but I hung a treestand, trail camera and was hiking out when I developed chest pains. I usually go alone, but on this day my wife of 56 years went along. She would not agree to let me go do treestand by myself. The hike is uphill to about the middle going in and then downhill. We were almost to this point when the pain became so severe I had to lay down. My wife wanted to push the SOS on the inreach but I was resistant. Got up and went to top where it is starts to go downhill. At this point I could not continue. At her insistence I pushed the SOS. We decided she should go for help. I spent an hour and a half there on the ground in some of the worst pain I have ever experienced. Fortunately, my wife got to the Sportsmans Store near Williams Creek and Got help along with someone to direct the search and rescue people. During this she ran into an EMT from Oklahoma and he with his father in law and a couple of others got to me in a kawasaki mule. He checked my vitals and they got me in the mule. By the time we got to road the search and rescue ambulance was there and I was transported to Mercy hospital in Durango. I was rushed in to the OR where a stent was placed under an existing stent I had received 18 years ago. This was in the left interior descending artery in my heart (aka: widow maker).
Cardiologist told me the next day the details and that I suffered a massive heart attack due to 99% restriction and was a miracle to be alive. I am now back in Texas with an appointment Monday with my cardioligist. I feel great and hopefully will get to go on muzzy hunt I have scheduled and help my daughter on her hunt.
The inreach definitely saved my life that day, along with some other great people and the grace of God.

I've had the InReach explorer and keep it activated year round. A lot of Montana has no service so it goes with us everywhere. I keep it obviously for help if we need it but you never know when you come across a rollover, wreck or whatever and it could save someone else's life. At $11.99/month I'd say it's cheap peace of mind.

I was on the second to last day of hunt when I got word that my young and healthy wife had a health complication and I needed to be home.

If I hadn't had the Inreach with me I would not have made it home in time to be with her when she came out of surgery or to be with my kids who were young and scared.

When I bought it I thought I would be the one relaying an emergency. Buy one and rest easier.

'Just upgraded from Explorer + to the mini 2. Its so dang small and weighs nothing I did the year round plan since Im always into something in the woods. Wife and I are either Camping or 4 Wheeling in the Rzr so I decided to just keep the thing on all the time for piece of mind.

I have always just tried to get by without a satellite communicator ..... Any thoughts, recommendations or advice from anyone that's tried one?

I carry a satellite phone in the field for at least 8 months. Wouldn't be caught dead without it, literally.

On July 19th, 2023 I was scouting in the San Juan National Forest for my daughter's upcoming archery hunt. I am 77 years old. A couple of years ago prior to a late season elk hunt my son called and said we ought to get a couple of inreach minis. Mostly so we could text when out of phone coverage. After a little research, we each got one and use the $14- plan. I will condense this considerably, but I hung a treestand, trail camera and was hiking out when I developed chest pains. I usually go alone, but on this day my wife of 56 years went along. She would not agree to let me go do treestand by myself. The hike is uphill to about the middle going in and then downhill. We were almost to this point when the pain became so severe I had to lay down. My wife wanted to push the SOS on the inreach but I was resistant. Got up and went to top where it is starts to go downhill. At this point I could not continue. At her insistence I pushed the SOS. We decided she should go for help. I spent an hour and a half there on the ground in some of the worst pain I have ever experienced. Fortunately, my wife got to the Sportsmans Store near Williams Creek and Got help along with someone to direct the search and rescue people. During this she ran into an EMT from Oklahoma and he with his father in law and a couple of others got to me in a kawasaki mule. He checked my vitals and they got me in the mule. By the time we got to road the search and rescue ambulance was there and I was transported to Mercy hospital in Durango. I was rushed in to the OR where a stent was placed under an existing stent I had received 18 years ago. This was in the left interior descending artery in my heart (aka: widow maker).
Cardiologist told me the next day the details and that I suffered a massive heart attack due to 99% restriction and was a miracle to be alive. I am now back in Texas with an appointment Monday with my cardioligist. I feel great and hopefully will get to go on muzzy hunt I have scheduled and help my daughter on her hunt.
The inreach definitely saved my life that day, along with some other great people and the grace of God.
Will there be any cost associated with the SOS?

I carry one anytime I’m in the backcountry: hiking, hunting, backpacking, peak bagging, fishing, Mtn biking, off roaring, snowboarding etc.

In-reach for me whenever I’m in AK. It’s a little slow(have an older model) but I consider it a must needed lifeline

Glad you're doing ok, thank you for sharing. Did you have the Garmin insurance?

Motorola has a new option out now. Unit price is comparable to zoLeo I think but it seems the monthly plan is quite a bit cheaper.

I carry a beacon with me anytime in in the field. As my travel time increases I'll be going to either the in reach or a sat phone. I've seen a few reports that say phone tech is improving to the point that the prices may start to drop a bit. That's what I'm going to aim for.

Still use my Delorme InReach it has save me from a couple long hikes to get a tow.... Here in Wyoming cell phone signal is very spotty at best so I all ways have mine on me.....

Current rates for Iridium are about $2.00 a minute. I buy blocks of 3,000 minutes at a time, and it's running me about $6,000.00 per block.

Will there be any cost associated with the SOS?
I don't know yet. I've done a little research, but nothing clear. At the point I pushed it, cost didn't matter. Garmin does offer insurance to cover costs, but again nothing definitive. I'm assuming the ambulance will be like any other event where an ambulance is dispatched. Mentally it was really hard to lift the protective cover on SOS and push . I never dreamed I would do that.

Back