SAR gear ?

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
This.
And a good wilderness medical training program.
I took a Wilderness First Aid course through BSA a few years ago. I think it was a 2-day course. Council camps seem to offer several every summer, I'd bet councils offer them too...

Another bit of info BSA has is the "10 essentials", which if done right, can easily be a pouch that stays loaded always and transfers to whatever pack fits needs easily. I have a few PocketUp pouches, orange for fire kit, chartreuse for headlamp/batteries/brick/cables, red for FAK, etc.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
I get some grief from F&F as I keep a pack in my truck at all times. Headlamp, emergency blanket, change of clothes (underwear, shirt, pants, socks), layers/rain shell, protein bar, can of campbells soup (I refresh every 6 months), simple first aid kit, whistle, fire starter (multiple), compass, gloves, beanie, water purifying tablets and a life straw, walking stick. They ask, what are you scared of- I say, nothing. :)
This is close to what I do. I don't like in thw wide open west, but I could live in my truck for a day if needed.

Might be a rough night if it's super cold, but I'll live.

taskswap

WKR
Just my medical kit, water, a mylar emergency blanket, and an InReach. Anything those things aren't enough to solve, it's SOS button time. Let's face it, I'm not a first responder. I'm not going to be responsible for dealing with your punctured lung or getting you off a cliff you got "ledged out" on because I thought ahead to bring 100' of static line and a bag of wedges. If we aren't walking out together, I'm walking out and you're on a helo - and I'm just helping make sure that happens.

This whole thing is sort of theoretical anyway. Think about it. If you're in a vehicle, we're talking shovels and a winch. You're almost certainly in good health and just need a tug, and you're communicating, so if there was more needed, you'd tell me.

If you're back-country, how the he** am I going to find you in the first place? The GMU I hunt in is like 270 THOUSAND acres. No way am I finding you faster than the "real" SAR folks in a helo (and here in CO, even those folks regularly fail) unless you reported your GPS coords, which means you have an InReach yourself. If you couldn't hit that button on your own, finding you and hitting it is my #1 priority. But if you can communicate, you'll tell me what's up and I don't need to overthink it.