Sanity check first rifle config (elk, lightweight)

bmart2622

WKR
A couple years ago I went all in on a big over bore, it was a 300 Ultra and not a 28 Nosler but honestly I wouldn't go the big over bore route again

OP
S

sdirks3

FNG
Looking at the load data, a 28 nos is a beast! Even it's low end is way up there, don't think it would let me tune it down into a "fun shooting" range

Taudisio

WKR
Looking at the load data, a 28 nos is a beast! Even it's low end is way up there, don't think it would let me tune it down into a "fun shooting" range
Sure you could. Reloading data books, are not the end all be all and change all the time thanks to attorneys and new products coming out.

OdinIII

Lil-Rokslider
In my opinion if you even have to ask about ammo availability then you are looking at the wrong cartridge. All the cartridges we needed were designed before we fired the first round of our lives.

That’s said, the bullet is what matters, not the cartridge. If you need it to sound sexy then just tell everyone you’re using “insert cool bullet name here” instead of wanting PRC or AI in the name.

As a new reloader you should not go outside of reloading manual recommendations. Just buy a rifle you are comfortable shooting. Im sure you can handle the 7mm PRC especially with a break or suppressor.

OP
S

sdirks3

FNG
As a new reloader you should not go outside of reloading manual recommendations. Just buy a rifle you are comfortable shooting. Im sure you can handle the 7mm PRC especially with a break or suppressor.
Definitely - wasn't planning on trying anything below starting loads but even starting loads drop recoil considerably

fishbeafraid

Lil-Rokslider
I CONCUR WITH WOODS89...

Some people just aren't happy unless they've achieved analysis paralysis! The Italian guy in the Euro 300 wsm thread finally landed right back where he started on .308 win!!!! after going round and round!!! Quit making it so difficult. Get a rifle that is versatile and cheap enough to shoot... with tons of variety available... 6.5cm or .308 win. Get a solid scope... SWFA, NF, Trijicon, whatever. Buy a $hit ton of ammo and shoot the $hit out of it! Then go kill $hit. Once you get good with that, then buy a more specific, longer range gun (IF you think you need it still or IF YOU JUST WANT ANOTHER ONE!).

*IT'S REALLY THIS SIMPLE PEOPLE* I wish this advice had been passed down to me long ago too... but alas we were of the Wisconsin .30-06 Tribe! I'd have less bruises and better shooting form for it! I've gotten rid of all my magnums. .30-06 is my big gun now. Have a .308, 270, and getting a new 6.5cm to replace the Tikka SL 6.5 I should've never sold. Only then will I re-evaluate getting a new 1:8 7RM or 7PRC in the future for long range. But I surely won't NEED IT! Get your go-to, all-around rifle squared away FIRST!

Last edited:

SwiftShot

WKR
Of all the rifles discussed, well Tikka is a great buy. If your going to change things on it well then the Christensen starts looking better deal. The Savage UL is no joke either. Both my CA shoot well. 5 shot groups under an inch usually .6 to .8. Just picked up a Savage 110 Scout in 308 for a hog rifle. 16 inch barrel and first load .5 MOA. Cartridge is the question, the 6.5 PRC or Creedmoor will do most things well. The Creedmoor has more availability but I have not had problems with 6.5 PRC. If your into bigger game do not overlook the 6.8 Western. It is just a heavy bullet 270. I do think for elk I tend to go bigger as well as African game. 300 WSM, 300 Win Mag both excellent. Don't overlook the 308 Winchester, that is an amazing all around Cartridge. A Tikka, Christensen or Savage UL in 308 or if you like the bigger boys 300 Win is nothing to scoff at. If you reload take out the 300 Win and go PRC.

chindits

WKR
You’re doing a sanity check on a new rifle on rokslide? That’s insane or just funny or what’s the difference.

Around here if you don’t have a can or the latest Gucci caliber, you just taint killn elk mister and no matter how many times you’ve been leading ducks with a shotgun you’re going to be flinching with anything more than a 6.8 or .270 fer them non euro mericans. You just gotta see that trace right into them thar 18 inch vitals for it to be an ethical rokslider kill. Oops I said kill.

OP
S

sdirks3

FNG
Update - The rifle is here, scoped, and had its first range day last weekend! Here's what I ended up going with:

Rifle: Christensen Mesa FFT
Suppressor: Diligent Defense Enticer L Ti
Scope: Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44
Cartridge: 7mm PRC

Decided on the 7 PRC thanks to advice about stepping up to a larger cartridge for bigger game (primarily from good ol' Spomer and von Benedikt). I also had the chance to shoot a friends 7 Rem Mag and decided that the recoil wasn't too bad. Plus the idea that if you load the 7 PRC with starting loads you end up with a very light recoil yet still high performance rifle for target practice.

The Mesa is a great rifle. Fit/finish/feel is definitely premium. Two minor nitpicks are that the long action magnum is almost 6 lbs (vs the advertised "starts at 5.5 lbs") but that was mostly expected, and that the bolt was really heavy out of the box. The heavy bolt lift started to lighten just working the bolt over the course of an evening, and after shooting it has smoothed out and lightened up considerably. Overall very happy with the purchase. Plus it shoots great!

First range day went well. Only had Hornady ELD-X factory ammo available, but with that I was still able to get sub-MOA groups when I did my part. Definitely need to work on my technique, but I can tell already that I'll be diving into rifle shooting/hunting/reloading head first!

ca_mesa_7prc.jpg
ca_mesa_7prc_weight.jpg

If you are planning on reloading you should look into the issues with the 6.5 Prc chamber. It can be fixed by reaming a bit, but it's there. Christensen rifles are a crap shoot. Some shoot great, some go back a few times and still don't.
For sub 300yd. elk I would get a Tikka in anything but 6.5 Prc. Full disclosure I just bought a Tikka in 6.5 Prc, but I'm changing the barrel to 25 Prc. Even fuller disclosure I hunt with a custom 10 lb. 30 Nosler with NF ATACR.
Agreed. I’d go tikka or the new Springfield armory waypoint…

Tikkas shoot so darn good especially for the price point.