San Carlos Reservation Coues Deer

TrackerG

FNG
I recently found out I drew a San Carlos Reservation Coues deer tag for next November in unit B. I hav been hunting Coues deer a ton and feel like I have them pretty well figured out, although you never really do. I have a 9 day hunt, that I am going to start a few days early to scout. My dad drew unit C at the same time frame. They only give out 10 tags for each unit, as apposed to AZGFD they would give out maybe 450 tags for a similar sized unit.

Has anyone hunted the San Carlos for coues deer? If so what was your experience? Have you hunted unit B or C? If so would you mind pointing me in a general direction?

Any advice for hunting the San Carlos?

180ls1

WKR
Hunted it for bear. Saw tons of Coues. Would love to go back and hunt them.

Tribal members were not that helpful. They sold me the wrong tag but ended up fixing it after I pointed it out. They also tried to get us to pay to use their WIFI when we had trouble getting a call through to our tribal guide and wanted to email him. We never did end up finding a bear.

Hopefully your experience is better than ours!

OP
TrackerG

TrackerG

FNG
Hunted it for bear. Saw tons of Coues. Would love to go back and hunt them.

Tribal members were not that helpful. They sold me the wrong tag but ended up fixing it after I pointed it out. They also tried to get us to pay to use their WIFI when we had trouble getting a call through to our tribal guide and wanted to email him. We never did end up finding a bear.

Hopefully your experience is better than ours!
Luckily I will be going DIY no guide. Sorry they got you like that. I’ll let you know how it goes for sure

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Rokslide frowns upon detailed unit or zone information being posted.

I’d recommend reaching out via PM or heading over to the coueswhitetail forum. I’ve heard that site is a good resource.

There are tons of coues up there. Great quality bucks as well. It’s excellent habitat for them for really good antler growth. Most spots here I’ve found coues there are in very thick terrain. The lions are relentless on them up there. Make sure you carry a lion tag along with you.

OP
TrackerG

TrackerG

FNG
Rokslide frowns upon detailed unit or zone information being posted.

I’d recommend reaching out via PM or heading over to the coueswhitetail forum. I’ve heard that site is a good resource.

There are tons of coues up there. Great quality bucks as well. It’s excellent habitat for them for really good antler growth. Most spots here I’ve found coues there are in very thick terrain. The lions are relentless on them up there. Make sure you carry a lion tag along with you.
Interesting, I assume you’re talking about manzanita country then? Thanks!

I hunted D several years ago before they implemented the guide requirements. It was a great hunt, saw the biggest coues on the hoof I’ve ever seen. I hunted 7 days and never saw another person.
The bad- if you have any questions, need any clarification, or need really anything from G&F, it’s a nightmare. Regs conflict on their website, had an important clarification I needed sorted out, took about 4 months and 100+ phone calls, kept getting conflicting info and ended up just guessing.
55B23A3C-7ADF-44EF-BB60-A6EA5FA4E611.jpeg

What megapixel was that potato you took those screen shots with? J/k To the OP, Tons of Coues on that reservation. In reality, the reservation is filled with all animals, parts of it are very remote and rougher country. Make sure you bring extra fuel, tire plug kits and a spare or 2. I have hunted it quite a bit and it has never disappointed. Hell, even some of the tanks have great fishing in them. I would suggest you go up a couple weeks early and grab a predator license and scout. Point of Pines and the area north west of it hold good numbers. Special place, congrats on the tag and good luck.. If you visit CWT.com, look up member Hoss. He is a guide up there and consistently puts down great animals.

OP
TrackerG

TrackerG

FNG
What megapixel was that potato you took those screen shots with? J/k To the OP, Tons of Coues on that reservation. In reality, the reservation is filled with all animals, parts of it are very remote and rougher country. Make sure you bring extra fuel, tire plug kits and a spare or 2. I have hunted it quite a bit and it has never disappointed. Hell, even some of the tanks have great fishing in them. I would suggest you go up a couple weeks early and grab a predator license and scout. Point of Pines and the area north west of it hold good numbers. Special place, congrats on the tag and good luck.. If you visit CWT.com, look up member Hoss. He is a guide up there and consistently puts down great animals.
Awesome thanks a lot! I figured on Bringing at least 50 gallons of gas. I’m pretty stoked, my biggest coues deer is a 104” I am shooting for the 110. Let’s see how it goes! If nothing else it will be a great hunt with no pressure

OP
TrackerG

TrackerG

FNG
I hunted D several years ago before they implemented the guide requirements. It was a great hunt, saw the biggest coues on the hoof I’ve ever seen. I hunted 7 days and never saw another person.
The bad- if you have any questions, need any clarification, or need really anything from G&F, it’s a nightmare. Regs conflict on their website, had an important clarification I needed sorted out, took about 4 months and 100+ phone calls, kept getting conflicting info and ended up just guessing.
View attachment 660728
Beautiful buck! Tons of character. Great job

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
The DFG office is a sh#t show, but the hunting is good as others have pointed out. Have a great hunt and hopefully you don’t have to interact w/ DFG.

OP
TrackerG

TrackerG

FNG
The DFG office is a sh#t show, but the hunting is good as others have pointed out. Have a great hunt and hopefully you don’t have to interact w/ DFG.
Haha ya I figured that since the draw took a month longer than they said it would

have any of you gone bear hunting on the Rez as well?
Nope. But I was there this past weekend for turkey. Ran into 5 bears including a mama that was VERY unhappy to see me. If I wasn't such a turkey nut I'd definitely think about doing a spring bear hunt there at some point

OP
TrackerG

TrackerG

FNG
Nope. But I was there this past weekend for turkey. Ran into 5 bears including a mama that was VERY unhappy to see me. If I wasn't such a turkey nut I'd definitely think about doing a spring bear hunt there at some point
Did you get a big Tom?

Article 4

WKR
I recently found out I drew a San Carlos Reservation Coues deer tag for next November in unit B. I hav been hunting Coues deer a ton and feel like I have them pretty well figured out, although you never really do. I have a 9 day hunt, that I am going to start a few days early to scout. My dad drew unit C at the same time frame. They only give out 10 tags for each unit, as apposed to AZGFD they would give out maybe 450 tags for a similar sized unit.

Has anyone hunted the San Carlos for coues deer? If so what was your experience? Have you hunted unit B or C? If so would you mind pointing me in a general direction?

Any advice for hunting the San Carlos?
Yes, just hunted the Res this last December in Unit A, scouted Unit B as well during that time. Only had 3 days to hunt over the xmas break and was able to find and take this 111 5/8th buck.

Attachments

• IMG_6732.jpg.jpeg
    IMG_6732.jpg.jpeg
    956.9 KB · Views: 39

180ls1

WKR

Do they still make you hunt with a guide?