Salvaged Meat Care

I picked up what looked like a fresh road kill of a blacktail deer and have been trying to salvage the meat from it. Between the rain outside and only having a small truck refrigerator I've had a hard time drying the meat fully, but the color of it looks good and it isn't smelling. I've cut the backstraps in half, wrapped them and have them in the freezer and I think they'll be good.

I'm trying to get the quarters to dry out so they can age some and I can get some steaks out of them and grind the rest. The cut portions of the meat have just not wanted to dry in the small fridge I have so I've got a small fan inside blowing air with the lid of the fridge just cracked a hair. Tonight I was really concerned with how wet the cut portions still are so I decided to salt the pieces and leave the fan running.

What do you guys think of this? Everywhere I put salt is now extra wet from drawing moisture up so I'm hoping I didn't just cause more problems. I'm really trying to put this meat to use since almost the entire deer was unharmed with a hit to the head and lower front leg.

OP
U
It's past rigor....just hang it at ambient and cut it up. This will help with your target times and temps.
That was a very helpful publication, thank you.

Think it can go another day before we cut it up tomorrow or do I need to get on it ASAP? I'm not sure if you're saying to hang it at ambient to dry or to hang it just when we're cutting it.

Wrench

WKR
There's a formula for temp vs time. Most people are terrified of mold on meat, I embrace it. Wipe it off with vinegar and rock on. If it still smells fine, you likely have several days before it's an issue.

OP
U
There's a formula for temp vs time. Most people are terrified of mold on meat, I embrace it. Wipe it off with vinegar and rock on. If it still smells fine, you likely have several days before it's an issue.
You've really put me at ease, thank you so much man.

A good friend of mine works at the local dump as the loader operator. He has called me on occasion to come out there and field process deer and cattle. The cattle were from an overturned tractor trailer and the cattle got smothered by being on the bottom of the pile of cows. They had zero flavor and in the end were pretty disappointing. One doe took a car to the head and half of her body was super tough meat and the other half was fine. Salvage meat for me now would all be turned into burger and used in recipes involving a lot of seasoning. Tacos, spaghetti, chili, etc.

OP
U
I ended up salvaging the deer and tossing all the meat after butchering. I think if I had immediately butchered the deer and refrigerated or frozen it it may have been good, but I didn't have the space inside or in the fridge to hang dry it and it was drizzling outside. It was never able to fully dry or really cool in the fridge setup I tried so I decided to butcher it and it was already slimy. It was a small shame to lose the meat but a great education in how easy it is to butcher a deer.