Saltwater fly fishing reels

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It’s been awhile since I went on a trip to fish in the saltwater, my dad and I are planning g a trip for 2025 and Im trying to get my dad a good setup. My king salmon rod is a saltwater 10wt with a hatch reel, we both have 12 weight setups so all good there.

I want to get a few solid 8 weight setups, my dad is going to come pike fishing with me this summer so the idea is to have a few rods and reels and let him mess around and the. Surprise him by letting him know that it’s his.

I have the 2 rods (sage maverick and Scott wave) I don’t care which one I end up with as long as dad gets the one he prefers.

I need a few solid 7-9wt salt water reels though. I was going to get a few Tibor reels but it seems like those havnt changed since I was in my 20s and going on yearly trips with my dad. Both of our 12 weight rods have Tibor reels but they are like 15 years old.

Are Tibor reels still worth buying? They seem pretty old school at this point but if they work they work.

What other salt water reels should I be looking at to put on an 8wt rod for bonefish and stuff like that?

Thanks.

mlob1one

WKR
I'd look at Nautilus nv-g, Mako, & Sage spectrum max

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
I’ve gravitated virtually all of my saltwater reels to Danielsson for the majority of my saltwater arsenal. Designed, engineered and manufactured brilliantly. Incredible sealed drags. Simply perform. Wish they were louder!

I have a bunch of Abel’s too. Tibor has an excellent reputation. Nautilus would be another to consider beyond what you have first hand experience with.

That said, you might as well just pony up and get him a Charlton or Olson.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Yeah looking at that one, I have the 9+ on my 10wt.

Just to clarify, I have 2 rods, so I want 2 reels, that way my dad can play around with them not knowing the combo he likes the best will be his rod. I’ll keep whichever one is leftover.

The hatch 7+ looks pretty great too.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve gravitated virtually all of my saltwater reels to Danielsson for the majority of my saltwater arsenal. Designed, engineered and manufactured brilliantly. Incredible sealed drags. Simply perform. Wish they were louder!

I have a bunch of Abel’s too. Tibor has an excellent reputation. Nautilus would be another to consider beyond what you have first hand experience with.

When I went tarpon fishing back several years ago, my dads friend brought along several charltons, I think that’s actually what my dad has in his 12wt.

Flyjunky

WKR
Hatch, Nautilus, Abel, Tibor, Bauer, and the newer Sage reels are all good.

If you decide to go used and are looking at a Hatch make sure it’s a gen 2 reel. I just had my 3rd gen 1 reel come into the shop today that I need to send back to them for drag replacement. It’s a big problem with their gen 1 stuff.

If you have some specific questions don’t hesitate to ask. I own and have used everything mentioned with the exception of the newer mako (their reels are too heavy, imo) stuff. I’ve moved to Hatch for most everything salt except a couple 6wt bone rods that I have Bauers on.

Last edited:
I have used the fly fishing rod/gear reviews from Yellowstone Angler for many years. They go into detail on how the evaluations are carried out, use the feedback from several judges to determine the rankings. It just so happens that in 2023 Yellowstone Angler did a gear review on 8 wt reels. They tested 49 reels and ended up with 17 top performers. I did not read this particular review.

I cant comment on any other brand than Tibor as thats all I have used the last 25 years. I fish exclusively in the salt and the past 7/8 years out of a yak. So my reels get wet. I’m still using the 5 Tibors I bought over 20 years ago. I use two Everglades mostly as they are on 8/9 weight rods. Never had an issue. I service the reels ( clean and lubricate) every year after the fishing season.

Purchasing the Tibors when I got started puts me at a disadvantage on keeping up with whats available as I never wanted or needed anything else.

Nautilus looks like a great real as well as Abel. A few years back I noticed Hatch was getting a lot of attention and good reviews. I don't think you would go wrong with any of the quality brands.
Tibor is just one choice out of many.

My saltwater reels are subjected to a lot of tough conditions here in FL including corrosive conditions and large fish that work the drag. They aren't just a place to store your line.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I cant comment on any other brand than Tibor as thats all I have used the last 25 years. I fish exclusively in the salt and the past 7/8 years out of a yak. So my reels get wet. I’m still using the 5 Tibors I bought over 20 years ago. I use two Everglades mostly as they are on 8/9 weight rods. Never had an issue. I service the reels ( clean and lubricate) every year after the fishing season.

Purchasing the Tibors when I got started puts me at a disadvantage on keeping up with whats available as I never wanted or needed anything else.

Nautilus looks like a great real as well as Abel. A few years back I noticed Hatch was getting a lot of attention and good reviews. I don't think you would go wrong with any of the quality brands.
Tibor is just one choice out of many.

My saltwater reels are subjected to a lot of tough conditions here in FL including corrosive conditions and large fish that work the drag. They aren't just a place to store your line.
I ordered up a tibor everglades reel, now I need another one so my dad can take his pick.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

Where do you buy danielssons from?

There is a good reason tibor hasn’t changed. They are still the go-to reel of most tournament tarpon anglers so they don’t really have a reason to change their design. Tibors just work. Are they cool, new, lightweight or flashy? no. But they work almost always.

I wouldn’t necessarily put one on a bonefish rod, but for big rods you can’t go wrong with a Tibor. So much of your decision will come down to use case.

I have spoken with guys that have had nautilus fail, but I have also seen them on plenty of very good guides skiffs. From what I have seen of them I probably wouldn’t purchase one.

Hatch had some issues with the “sealed” drag being not so sealed. I think maybe they have fixed that now.

I am a very big fan of lamson, but I have had issues with them as well. Had one with a messed up clutch (velocity hard alox) and have had a few reel seats come detached (musky reels). I have also landed multiple tarpon on one lamson so clearly that one seems to work.

The USA made orvis reels are pretty nice, no real experience with them.

Just like optics, every reel will fail but some are more problematic than others.

Last edited:

Dos XX

WKR
I have several Tibors and Abels. I do not feel a need to upgrade. They have landed a lot of salty fish. I like the drag on both of them. Very smooth.

I just looked at the Abel website. It doesn't look like they make the Super Series anymore, which is what I have. It also looks like they are in Colorado now.

Last edited:
OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have several Tibors and Abels. I do not feel a need to upgrade. They have landed a lot of salty fish. I like the drag on both of them. Very smooth.

I just looked at the Abel website. It doesn't look like they make the Super Series anymore, which is what I have. It also looks like they are in Colorado now.
Abel’s salt water now is called the SDS, and yeah made in Colorado for the past several years anyways.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
There is a good reason tibor hasn’t changed. They are still the go-to reel of most tournament tarpon anglers so they don’t really have a reason to change their design. Tibors just work. Are they cool, new, lightweight or flashy? no. But they work almost always.

I wouldn’t necessarily put one on a bonefish rod, but for big rods you can’t go wrong with a Tibor. So much of your decision will come down to use case.

I have spoken with guys that have had nautilus fail, but I have also seen them on plenty of very good guides skiffs. From what I have seen of them I probably wouldn’t purchase one.

Hatch had some issues with the “sealed” drag being not so sealed. I think maybe they have fixed that now.

I am a very big fan of lamson, but I have had issues with them as well. Had one with a messed up clutch (velocity hard alox) and have had a few reel seats come detached (musky reels). I have also landed multiple tarpon on one lamson so clearly that one seems to work.

The USA made orvis reels are pretty nice, no real experience with them.

Just like optics, every reel will fail but some are more problematic than others.
Why not put a Tibor on a bonefish rod? Just sort of overkill?

Why not put a Tibor on a bonefish rod? Just sort of overkill?
Yeah, just overkill and heavy IMO. Granted more bonefish have probably been caught on a tibor than anything else. With the weights of most 6, 7 and 8wts these days about the only tibor that will balance is a freestone. (no longer made, just go see eBay for prices... yikes!) I also fish 1 piece 8wts so the balance would be even more off with a heavy reel. I would want something lighter and with a higher line pickup like a lamson litespeed if bonefish was my primary target.

I honestly thing most of the well know brands make a good reel these days.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
Mine are all Lamson. No real complaints. I fish the surf a lot and can’t bring myself to go too high end as the sand will kill them all regardless of price.