Salomon X Ultra 4 Mid GTX for WY Oct Pronghorn

peleejosh

FNG
Headed to Cheyenne area early Oct for rifle prognhorn.

Thinking of picking up the Salomon X Ultra 4 Mid GTX.

Anyone have experience with this boot?

I will have my Crispi insulated boots in case the weather is super cold.

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Just wore them in the BWCA a bit, not a ton as I didn’t want them getting muddy/soaked. They were a good fit, pretty warm for spring & summer, top lace likes to pop off the little lace holder deals. I’ll be wearing them more and like them/their look. Give it a shot!

rojocop

FNG
I've never worn that specific shoe, but every Salomon shoe I've ever had has been great.

OP
peleejosh

peleejosh

FNG
This will be my first pair of Salomon, but everyone that I know that runs them say the same thing.

I don't have that specific boot, but I run Quest 4D GTX's in the warmer weather and love them. I think they are a pretty similar boot. Only concern I've heard is of them not standing up to really rough terrain very well but I don't imagine you'll have too much of that on this hunt

dtrkyman

WKR
I had the x ultra, smoked them in less than a year, holes wear the toe box flexed and just generally looked trashed, fortunately I bought them direct and after a couple emails and semding them some pics they gave me a store credit.

They were super comfy with zero break in, unless you just do not put any miles on them they are not worth it too me.

Bought some trail runners.

OP
peleejosh

peleejosh

FNG
I had the x ultra, smoked them in less than a year, holes wear the toe box flexed and just generally looked trashed, fortunately I bought them direct and after a couple emails and semding them some pics they gave me a store credit.

They were super comfy with zero break in, unless you just do not put any miles on them they are not worth it too me.

Oof, any other recommendation?

dtrkyman

WKR
Asolo have been my best boots, have a stout 520 pair and have used two of their lighter pairs from Sierra Trading…Horizons are nice but not always available.

I would say a no go on wide feet though, they might make a wide but I have narrow feet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2-Stix

WKR
I have about 20 years of running Salomoms for hiking and backpacking. They dont do anything great and nothing bad. Out of the box very comfortable and really great for everyone. As a hiker they are the best. Big sole surface, sole is long wearing, but they are limited in elevation with not much ankle support, and terrible for wet weather. The sole lasts, the upper doesn't is my experience. They have a place for hiking and camping for me only.

OP
peleejosh

peleejosh

FNG
N
I have about 20 years of running Salomoms for hiking and backpacking. They dont do anything great and nothing bad. Out of the box very comfortable and really great for everyone. As a hiker they are the best. Big sole surface, sole is long wearing, but they are limited in elevation with not much ankle support, and terrible for wet weather. The sole lasts, the upper doesn't is my experience. They have a place for hiking and camping for me only.
what do you run for early mid season hunting?

4rcgoat

WKR
comfy and leaked like a sieve
same for the quest

you might try the crispi monaco
Had the same experience, both pairs I had eventually leaked after a short period of time,same for my son. Crispi Summits are my go to for that time frame.

Macintosh

WKR
Im on second or third pair of x ultra 4’s. I’m 200lb and wear them about every day. They last a year, and while they are not waterproof at that point the issue that makes me retire them is the heel cushioning is noticeably shot and my creaky knees start getting creakier. They fit great and are lightish and work for everyday footwear for me, but if I found something similar that fit as well from a diff brand id switch. They are sturdy sneakers, not light boots.
I get grass awns and grit and twigs in mid height shoes while off trail so I prefer a higher top just to keep my feet happier. That includes wy antelope. Outside of that you could wear just about any footwear in a lot of wy antelope country. Cactus spines here and there probably the biggest worry Id have with any lightweight shoe.

OP
peleejosh

peleejosh

FNG
Update, tried on the Salomon’s, they don’t fit my foot at all.

I went with the Oboz Bridger. Feels great so far

wyosteve

WKR
I have some X Ultras for everyday use. I wouldn't consider them for an antelope hunt though. Not enough ankle support and cactus would penetrate easily.

pugwylde

FNG

I feel like this must've been a bunk pair. Totally agree about the zero break-in and the fact they are pretty warm (maybe too warm) for a warm weather hunt. I have quite a few miles on mine, in all weather conditions, and I don't have any concerns about their durability.

The one thing I don't like is the way the tongue sits in the cuff. It's super thick and it sort of pinches at my ankle. The main thing I really like is the room in the toe box; I had a pair of Danners that absolutely destroyed my toes on downhills.

Boots are a pretty personal purchase though. Unfortunately, they are one of those things that can only be vetted by miles on your feet.

Good to know. Thanks. I like my Solomon’s a lot and recommend them to others.

grfox92

WKR
These particular Solomons are way to narrow. I stepped up the a wide (which I don't wear on any other boots) and they were sloppy loose. Sucks because I wanted to love them.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

These particular Solomons are way to narrow. I stepped up the a wide (which I don't wear on any other boots) and they were sloppy loose. Sucks because I wanted to love them.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
They do have a strange fit. I had to size up and go wide. I wore some on a week long mountain hunt and they performed well in moderate temps. I wear Hoka hiking boots now. They're lighter, more comfortable and not as expensive.