Salomon Quest GTX boots - durability?

KMT

WKR
Has anyone hunted with these boots for more than one year? I tried them on and they fit my feet perfectly. However, despite the overwhelming number of 5 star reviews, there are quite a few people on REI's site that say that the boots leak within a year and that the boots are delaminating.

If I wanted leaky, self destructing boots, I would just buy Danners.

Thank you for your input.

I've hunted with them for multiple years. I am on my second pair. I haven't had them leak yet. I am only using Them for two years at a time. Mine seem to wear out with the miles I put on them. Maybe it's just me. In addition I feel like they could use more structure with heavy loads when you are side hilling and off trail.

I use superfeet insoles in mine. I am on the lookout for a beefier boot for next year. That said, these boots feet me great as well and are a great boot. For elk hunting, where you might have a really heavy load on a packout, they might not provide the needed support. Just my $0.02.

OP
K

KMT

WKR
For elk hunting, I use the Asolo 520 GTX. They are stout enough for heavy loads. But in the summer, the boots are overkill for a 2-3 day trip into the hills.

Thanks, Elkfitness.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
There should be an article on here soon with my experience with these boots. Short answer is yes they leak after about 200 miles. I'm assuming its due to the GTX wearing off.

wapitibob

WKR
I only have 2 weeks on my 4D's and they passed the water test after that but they will leak. It's inevitable.

You have an extremely fragile membrane between two layers of cloth protection, in a flexible (leather boots) wet (mesh panels) environment. Add in toes/toenails jamming into the liner/membrane, then the stretching of the membrane from the boot flexing as you walk, you'll eventually tear it or stretch it and then you're done.

SDHNTR

WKR
Mine leaked within the first couple months. Great boots, but dry weather only, IMO. Then again, as wapitibob mentions above, they all leak eventually.

OP
K

KMT

WKR
Sounds like they would be a great boot if they weren't gortex. Sounds weird. But I mean they would be a great, comfortable, BREATHABLE boot to wear when waterproof isn't really needed.

wapitibob

WKR
I always buy Goretex because I get a little waterproof from them but mostly because the liners keep the fine dirt from getting in.

Saw my brother in law over thanksgiving, he is in the 75th Ranger regiment. While we were talking he says, " hey you have my boots"? (while looking at my feet) Surprise, surprise..... Army rangers are being issued Solomon Quests. I got a kick out of that (no pun intended). I'm on my second pair and yes if you wear them all the time they take a beating, yet still hold up. Mine are like moccasins on steroids lol. Are far as water proofness, I would choose another boot if you plan to be in wet weather a lot. They work great when new, but like others said, they lose their waterproofness as they get worn in.

topher89

WKR
My first pair started leaking 25 miles in so I took them to back to REI and exchanged them. My second pair has 300 miles on them with no leaks at all. And that is why I am an REI member :)

My second pair has taken a beating and I will happily buy a 3rd pair.

SDHNTR

WKR
Saw my brother in law over thanksgiving, he is in the 75th Ranger regiment. While we were talking he says, " hey you have my boots"? (while looking at my feet) Surprise, surprise..... Army rangers are being issued Solomon Quests. I got a kick out of that (no pun intended). I'm on my second pair and yes if you wear them all the time they take a beating, yet still hold up. Mine are like moccasins on steroids lol. Are far as water proofness, I would choose another boot if you plan to be in wet weather a lot. They work great when new, but like others said, they lose their waterproofness as they get worn in.

I live near one of the 2 main training bases for Navy SEALS. when I was at the local REI last, I was fondling a pair and the sales dude came over and said, "great boots, we have lots of SEALS who come in and buy those". That's a vote of confidence!