Sako S20 or Tikka T3x Veil 6.5 PRC?

I’m kicking around adding a 6.5 PRC to the stable.

I’ve got 3 Tikkas (30-06, 308, and 6.5 Creedmoor) and they are all excellent shooters with handloads.

I want to try a Sako and the S20 Hunter has good reviews. I was able to handle one in store with a Precision stock and the action was smooth. I’m not crazy about the integrated 0 MOA pic rail being part of the action but that’s the only negative I’ve seen.

Thoughts?

OP
General RE LEE
The integrated rail was a deal breaker for me as well. Not really any aftermarket support like tikkas have.
My .02

Realistically a 0 MOA rail on a 6.5 PRC handload 143 ELD-X going 3000 FPS is good to 1200 yards. My range has steel at 1K and 1250k and I would never hunt at those ranges.

slowelk

WKR
Realistically a 0 MOA rail on a 6.5 PRC handload 143 ELD-X going 3000 FPS is good to 1200 yards. My range has steel at 1K and 1250k and I would never hunt at those ranges.

Agree with this, a 0moa rail on a spicy round like a Prc shouldn’t be an issue.

There’s a lot to like about the S20 hunter, I have looked at it many times while I’ve waited for my tikka Prc. Ultimately I prefer the customizability, and the aftermarket support options of the tikka more than the Sako. I also know that I will shoot out the tikka Prc barrel and PVA is six weeks out from sending me a new prefit that will hammer.

OP
General RE LEE
Agree with this, a 0moa rail on a spicy round like a Prc shouldn’t be an issue.

There’s a lot to like about the S20 hunter, I have looked at it many times while I’ve waited for my tikka Prc. Ultimately I prefer the customizability, and the aftermarket support options of the tikka more than the Sako. I also know that I will shoot out the tikka Prc barrel and PVA is six weeks out from sending me a new prefit that will hammer.

I haven’t customize my Tikkas with the exception of the lightened trigger spring. I wonder if the trigger is same for the Sako?

Regardless I don’t think the Sako S20 needs much modification.

slowelk

WKR
I haven’t customize my Tikkas with the exception of the lightened trigger spring. I wonder if the trigger is same for the Sako?

Regardless I don’t think the Sako S20 needs much modification.

Agree, it does not. The integrated chassis is nice. The trigger is adjustable out of the box, easier to adjust than the tikka.

amassi

WKR
I think I read that the s20 has a carbon stock coming out this year.
I haven't handled the s20 but I've loved every other sako I have. At the price the s20 appears to be a bargain.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
General RE LEE
Man that S20 is calling my name and there are deals out there where you can get the Precision stock for free when ordering the Hunter stock. I think the weight will be perfect for a steady platform but not too heavy.

hnguy061

FNG
S20 owner here in 300WM. I hunt with the precision stock, which is slightly heavier than the hunter stock, but deadly accurate. They guarantee sub MOA out of the box.
New carbon stock will be nice to reduce the weight..

I own both and both stocks of the S20. You can’t go wrong with either the Tikka or it’s bigger somewhat more refined bigger brother the Sako.

The S20 is a different type of rifle with a metal chassis system that’s awesome. Either version weigh more than the tikka because of the chassis. I use the precision stock most as I like it and I still don’t mind the weight. Think of it as a sportorized TRG model. Because it is pretty similar vs a standard action barrel and stock configuration.

My Tikkas are all shooters as expected. I can’t say I get better accuracy from my S20 but I think so most of the time it beats the Tikkas. The trigger is adjustable and wider and feels different. The stock being adjustable is amazing.

The 0 MOA rail I felt the same way at first but here is the big question are you shooting at long range-very long range? The PRC will go easily to 1200 with most good scopes further with some. Sako in Europe offers a 20 MOA cant mount but I have rarely seen it for sale in the US. I have a Near Manufacturing 20MOA can’t mount on one of the S20s. For feel good I can shoot a mile if I want. But again, majority of the shooters will never need it because they aren’t really shooting all that far away.

Reliability both are superb. Accuracy edging to the Sako. Weight the tikka is lighter. Aftermarket the tikka wins at the same time the S20 is loaded. I’m sure rebarreling is doable as any Sako/Tikka. But the S20 stock options from the factory(normally they run a special buy a gun get the second stock for free) are great and adjustable not leaving much to want. Both are buttery smooth, the S20 is a shorter bolt lift.

It’s hard to really choose but I promise you won’t be upset with either.

The S20 is sick though 😛

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I can’t get the S20 I’m 6.5 CM out of my head, even though my new RSS is keeping me busy. It might have to do with the nice deals I’m seeing, and that 223 isn’t legal for elk in a few states.

This thread is helpful (although it will probably be expensive for me). Those of you with the S20, have any of you shortened and threaded your barrel?

5 Salt

FNG
This 20MOA Sako Pic Base and 30mm Hi Rings worked out brilliantly for my S20
Ordered all from Beretta USA online.

Scope is 2.5-20x50 NX8 with 2.5-3mm clearance at Objective end

6.5 Creedmoor Sako S20.jpegSako S20

S20 20MOA PIC Base .jpeg 20MOA Pic Base

30mm Sako Rings.jpeg

5 Salt

FNG
Thanks for posting. I am going to try to mount first directly to the rifle. How are you liking it?
I love the Rifle.

Shoots well. Have both stock types and really like the Precision set up.
Compared to another favorite brand of mine - Tikka - the Sako S20 is a very accurate rifle and a great buy.

As Sako have added the 6.5 PRC to the line up, really hoping they released the 7mm PRC or 300 PRC.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I love the Rifle.

Shoots well. Have both stock types and really like the Precision set up.
Compared to another favorite brand of mine - Tikka - the Sako S20 is a very accurate rifle and a great buy.

As Sako have added the 6.5 PRC to the line up, really hoping they released the 7mm PRC or 300 PRC.
Thanks. Let me know if you have any other suggestions or advice. I’m going to try Hunter and Precision, and doing the hybrid approach.

Well, I was going to get rid of all my 6.5 PRC ammo/components since Cabela's bought my trash Fierce Reaper back and I have zero excuses to own another PRC, so I put it all together for a for sale ad...

PRC_Crap.jpg

But dang it I couldn't let it all go and caved in on the EuroOptic sale for an S20 Hunter. I'll post up initial groups once it comes in. Now I guess I need more Nightforce, or do I go with the semi-proven Maven?

5 Salt

FNG
Well, I was going to get rid of all my 6.5 PRC ammo/components since Cabela's bought my trash Fierce Reaper back and I have zero excuses to own another PRC, so I put it all together for a for sale ad...

View attachment 649445

But dang it I couldn't let it all go and caved in on the EuroOptic sale for an S20 Hunter. I'll post up initial groups once it comes in. Now I guess I need more Nightforce, or do I go with the semi-proven Maven?

I love a sale on fine guns