saddle hunting

I'm sure this has been covered a ton, but i cant seem to find the thread (newbie).
what is everyone's recommendations for climbing sticks and a platform? i want to stay lightweight but also not looking to spend a ton on them.
I just got my saddle and tested it out a few times by using the base of my summit climber as the climbing part as well as a platform. 1/10 do not recommend.

Yoder

WKR
Biggest thing is going to be how much you want to spend. I'm using cheap 30 in Hawk Helium sticks. My wife uses them quite a bit so having 15 in between steps is helpful. If it was just me I would get the 20 in steps. They pack easier and since they are short, you can set them up easier on crooked trees. You can get 4 for around $100. They are decent. I did the rope mod on mine and they are pretty quiet and easy to setup. I haven't tried any other brands.

Heliums are the cheapest for the weight, if you really want to cut weight and open a can of worms look into one sticking. You can make a platform using a lone wolf or novix seat replacement for cheap. Eastern woods outdoors is a great supplier for saddle hunting gear. Lots of DIY stuff to save cash and weight if you need to.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m new to saddle hunting and still working on my method of climbing. FWIW I’m leaning towards a rope climbing method - the JRB Climbing Method. You can find some references to it on here and via Google. Doesn’t mean you can’t also use a platform at the top, but the ropes are in place of sticks.

stump06

WKR
One sticking or getting a platform and a set of heliums. One sticking wasn't for me, I use spurs 90% of the time and occasionally sticks. I wanna pick up some tethered one sticks

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
I’m currently using the terhrd predator platform and the muddy pro sticks. Got a good deal on the sticks a handful of years ago and they do their job for now. I really have no complaints for either.

rcb2000

WKR
Climbing methods, you can choose two of the following: cheap, light, easy to use.
I use Wild edge steps with a knaider/swaider, cheap and very light, but definitely not for everyone.
Try out different options until you find what works for you.

OP
T
im leaning toward the hawk helium sticks, im undecided on a platform. i like the bigger ones but i also want to stay light and easy to carry

I’m currently using the terhrd predator platform and the muddy pro sticks. Got a good deal on the sticks a handful of years ago and they do their job for now. I really have no complaints for either.

I'm using the same set up and also have no complaints. That said I'm still not convinced that setup is savimg much on weight over a hang on stand. The major benefit that I have found is reduced bulk when walking in and for off season storage.

wesfromky

WKR
I really like the Shikar sticks from out on a limb. They seem to have pretty good platforms, and stick options with a platform for the top step.

84dc5a42186ad44718ee0017ac21a0af.jpg

Ignore the mess, hard to beat one sticking for lightweight. This is a cut down helium with a scout platform on top. I have a predator platform but hardly carry it unless I know it’ll be an extended sit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long Cut

WKR
I’d be One-Sticking with a 2-3 step aider.

Best climbing sticks IMO are Beast, LWCG, or OOAL in no particular order.

trailblazer75

Lil-Rokslider
Good suggestions here.

I'm on year 7 and have tried every climbing method and platform I can get my hands on. Here's where I've wound up.

3 API huntin' sticks cut to 20" and drilled out like beast sticks. The bottom stick has a 3 step aider. The next two sticks have a 1 step aider.
I use a trophyline EDP platform because its the best on the tree, most stable, easiest to set and a compromise of strength and weight savings. Plus it is extremely well thought out. I've one sticked, I've done SRT and DRT and I've used knaiders and swaiders with smaller sticks from OOAL and wild edge steps.

For me, I just wanna get up the tree quickly without monkeying around (see what I did there?) while still being light enough and mobile enough (read PACKABILITY) for the saddle to even make sense. This is the best I've come up with.

Macintosh

WKR
Some of it is religion, ie not something you can necessarily rationalize to another person that thinks differently and expect to reach the same conclusions. I have used most climbing methods and come back to sticks. unfortunately, the cheap ones aint light, and the light ones aint cheap. I think the novix mini double steps are about the best bang for the buck in lighter and packable sticks. Add a diy single step to each one if youre into getting high.

I’m new to saddle hunting and still working on my method of climbing. FWIW I’m leaning towards a rope climbing method - the JRB Climbing Method. You can find some references to it on here and via Google. Doesn’t mean you can’t also use a platform at the top, but the ropes are in place of sticks.

I’ve tried most climbing methods and have chosen the JRB climbing method as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Obsessed1

Lil-Rokslider
The majority of the trees here are poplar ( aspen) so no branches and 10-12" around. I use a self climbing system I built myself. The climber is also the platform. My saddle, safety harness, climber and platform all comes in under 5lbs total.. Ropes and all. As long as there are no real branches I have unlimited claiming height, and can get 12-14ft in under 2 minutes with little effort.. no need to throw a rope over a branch like the jrb method. Just strap up on the tree and start climbing.

Afhunter1

WKR
I use a combo of:

Beast sticks w/ single aider
LW hand climber top
Muddy pro stick for one sticking and a 2 step aider
Predator platform

I have numerous other options as well but typically grab the muddy pro and predator platform if I don’t know where I’ll end up.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
I use a Ladder Aider attached to the tree. Simple, light, and compact. I use a Lone Wolf seat as a platform for shorter hunts. Will bring an M7 Microlite if I'm planning on all day in the stand.

madgrad02

WKR
Have gone through several iterations of sticks (old lone wolfs, then modifying those single step sticks to double steps and better standoffs, then Heliums, then Beast Sticks, and think I have settled on the Tethrd Skeletors... I loved the Beast Sticks, but they were the older 24" step and that got increasing difficult as I layer winter clothes on here in Wisconsin). I will carry different platforms or a ring of steps (ROS) based on how long I plan on hunting - I just can't hunt on a ROS for more than a few hours. Deer hunting with the JX3 and an all day sit, generally taking the Trophyline Mission for the extra foot room, but most of the time it is the Cruzr platform. I would like to try some of those fancier carbon sticks (latitude and/or Tethrd), but being a larger, corn-fed midwestern fella, I will sacrifice some weight for something I am sure won't break under my large, American self. I have a SRT setup that I have used in the past, however doesn't always seem to fit with my hunting style and I have better luck getting sticks in ANY tree than finding a tree to rope climb up - though will say that rappelling is AWESOME - makes me feel like BATMAN!

madgrad02

WKR
and will add that with hunting gear, you can either have it be 1.) lightweight, 2.) cheap, or 3.) durable... you can pick any 2, but you can't have all 3. Lightweight stuff that is durable, isn't cheap.