SA Savage ultralight actual weights

I know it's hard to get real world weights on many rifles, so today I took a postal scale to Academy and weighed a .308 and 6.5CM Savage Ultralight. The .308 weighed exactly 6 lbs. and the 6.5 CM weighed 6 lbs. 3 oz. That's bare rifle, with the bolt and magazine box installed.

Thought it might be useful info for someone.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Nice. Appears based on a few used actions the ultralights shave 2-3oz off a typical savage action.

Did you happen to note if the barrel nut supported small shank or large shank barrels?

I called CS on the 6.5PRC and was told it was large shank. Hoping to find a small shank ultralight if they are made.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Nice. Appears based on a few used actions the ultralights shave 2-3oz off a typical savage action.

Did you happen to note if the barrel nut supported small shank or large shank barrels?

I called CS on the 6.5PRC and was told it was large shank. Hoping to find a small shank ultralight if they are made.
The .308 I bought and the 6.5 CM were both small shank and the barrel nuts are slotted, like I like them. I hate the smooth nuts. The ultralight action, like the Lightweight hunter, only shaves about 1-1.5 oz. off the standard action. I've weighed both and own both currently.

I can see why the 6.5 PRC is a large shank. But they make the ultralight 6.5 PRC in both 22 and 24" barrels, so that might be worth looking into.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Awesome info thank you. Bummer it only shaves 1-1.5….I’ve been looking for a while to pick one up in an attempt to slim my savage down a bit more….but that may sway me. Not worth the cost or pain.

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
I know it's hard to get real world weights on many rifles, so today I took a postal scale to Academy and weighed a .308 and 6.5CM Savage Ultralight. The .308 weighed exactly 6 lbs. and the 6.5 CM weighed 6 lbs. 3 oz. That's bare rifle, with the bolt and magazine box installed.

Thought it might be useful info for someone.
Doesn't Savage (Sportman's does) list the CM at 5.8 lbs?

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Doesn't Savage (Sportman's does) list the CM at 5.8 lbs?
I think they list all the short action Ultralights at 5.8 lbs. Not sure how they get that weight because the .308 should be the lightest (least amount of steel in the barrel). It's pretty common for rifle manufacturers to list a lower than actual weight though. That's why I posted this. I brought a postal scale into Academy with me because I wasn't going to buy that .308 unless it was under 6 lbs. 2 oz.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Awesome info thank you. Bummer it only shaves 1-1.5….I’ve been looking for a while to pick one up in an attempt to slim my savage down a bit more….but that may sway me. Not worth the cost or pain.
Yea, the standard action and bolt is pretty light. Tough to trim weight from that.

Ringtail

FNG
@Newtosavage did you get a weight on the proof creedmoor barrel that you acquired recently? I read in a different post you had one and I figured it may be better posted here. Thank you sir