Rx7 or Rx 7 ultra Brand new to shooting a bow

Matias

FNG
Looking to buy my first bow, went to the pro shop here in Utah and shot PSE, Bowtech, Elite, Mathew’s and Hoyt. I liked the Mathew’s phase 4 and Hoyt VTM with the Hoyt feeling slightly better. Mostly based on how it felt drawing back the bow as that’s all I really know. (PSE with evolve cam felt great, but getting a Fortis was 8 weeks out for EC 2 cam) They didn’t have a VTM in none camo so I shot the RX 7 ultra and liked how it felt. Plus there were some perks compared to the VTM, weight, quietness, Carbon etc. Remember I have never shot a bow prior so the technical stuff I relied on the bow shop for insight.

I ordered a RX7 ultra 70-80lb, but after going down the rabbit hole I have a couple concerns if I made the right choice.
1) should I have went with the Rx7 and not the ultra based on ATA if I want to hunt. (I’m 6’1”, they said my draw length is 29)

2) is the speed on this bow going to be a concern if I ever decide to hunt with it down the road. I keep reading it’s a “slow” bow. But also realize shot placement is key

Thanks for the input and advice

Last edited:

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Looking to buy my first bow, went to the local shop and shot PSE, Bowtech, Elite, Mathew’s and Hoyt. I like the Mathew’s phase 4 and Hoyt VTM with the Hoyt feeling slightly better. Mostly based on how it felt drawing back. (PSE with Volvo cam felt great, but getting a Fortis was 8 weeks out for EC 2 cam) They didn’t have a VTM in none camo so I shot the RX 7 ultra and liked how it felt, there were some perks compared to the VTM. Remember I have never shot a bow prior.

I ordered a RX7 ultra , but after going down. The rabbit hole I have a couple concerns if I made the right choice. 1) should I have went with the Rx7 and not the ultra if I want to hunt. (I’m 6’1”, they said my draw length is 29) 2) is the speed on this bow going to be a concern if I ever decide to hit with it down the road. I keep reading it’s a “slow” bow. But also realize shot placement is key

Thanks for the input and advice
I have RX-1 and -4, both Ultra. There is no problem for me with speed or using it for hunting. I took a quick look at the RX-7 models and the speed difference is negligible.

OR Archer

WKR
Ultra is my choice as well. I’m still shooting my RX 4 Ultra. At 27” draw and 70# I can still get around 260 fps with a 450gr arrow. I’m still able to shoot well past 100 yards before my sight bottoms out.

The biggest mistake I see new archers make is drawing too much weight. Hard to develop good form, accuracy suffers.

I see you said 70-80#. No way speed will be a problem with that and a 29” DL.

My main advice would be to go lower # and learn correct form and develop good habits.

Everything in NA can be killed with a 50# bow so no issues for hunting there. Accuracy kills, not brute strength

Elkhntr08

WKR
A lot of money to drop on your first bow and a lot of draw weight. JMO.
I have a Axius Ultra which I enjoy shooting. I prefer a longer, more stable forgiving bow.

OP
M

Matias

FNG
The biggest mistake I see new archers make is drawing too much weight. Hard to develop good form, accuracy suffers.

I see you said 70-80#. No way speed will be a problem with that and a 29” DL.

My main advice would be to go lower # and learn correct form and develop good habits.

Everything in NA can be killed with a 50# bow so no issues for hunting there. Accuracy kills, not brute strength
This one one of my main concerns and I originally went with the 60-70 lb bow. However the guys at the shop were cool and said let’s see whats the lowest we can turn down 70-80 lb bow. They got it down to 61 lbs. it was a surprise to them and they had three guy go over the bow because it was set to 85 lbs. knowing this made my decision alot easier since I want to start at 60 lbs.

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
The ultra is not a problem with the longer axle to axle. That's actually a good thing.

Rx7 is not the fastest bow on the market, but by far more than enough to hunt, especially at 80lbs and 29".

OP
M

Matias

FNG
A lot of money to drop on your first bow and a lot of draw weight. JMO.
I have a Axius Ultra which I enjoy shooting. I prefer a longer, more stable forgiving bow.
Not going to lie, it’s a crap ton. But I moved and sold a decent amount of offshore fishing gear where one setup is 800-1000. I went the buy once cry once route and if I spend a hefty chunk I will force myself to be dedicated.

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Not going to lie, it’s a crap ton. But I moved and sold a decent amount of offshore fishing gear where one setup is 800-1000. I went the buy once cry once route and if I spend a hefty chunk I will force myself to be dedicated.

I don't disagree with the buy once cry once method. The only thing I would say is at his point in your archery journey you may not know what you like or don't like, or what works best for you. And in my opinion you can't tell that by shooting the bow a few times in a shop, especially when you have limited experience.

One option is to buy something cheaper, (get good accessories), and shoot for while. That will help you learn what you like or don't like about it, and you'll be able to make a more informed decision.

OP
M

Matias

FNG
I don't disagree with the buy once cry once method. The only thing I would say is at his point in your archery journey you may not know what you like or don't like, or what works best for you. And in my opinion you can't tell that by shooting the bow a few times in a shop, especially when you have limited experience.

One option is to buy something cheaper, (get good accessories), and shoot for while. That will help you learn what you like or don't like about it, and you'll be able to make a more informed decision.
You are probably right on this one. I know basically what bow “felt the best to draw” and not much else. I’m sure what important changes as I figure things out. I am adding the epsilon rest with the axcel landslyde bracket and ultraview sight (thinking of possibly the canyon pounder )

Still not sure on release or arrows. The arrows I’m just getting cheaper gold tip i think they are called while I take some lessons and learn how to properly shoot.

Wright406

WKR
After shooting the new hoyts the last 2 years I wouldn't worry too much about the draw weight. Their cams in today's ventum and VTX are highly efficient. 70 feels like 60 and 80 feels like 70. It's impressive. As always start lower and work to higher draw weight. Get the fundamentals correct at the lower draw weight before progressing

KBC

WKR
Buy an older bow that’s similar to the RX7 ultra. You have no idea what you will want in a bow until you learn to shoot.
I bought a used 4 or 5 year old flagship for cheap when I first started and learned a bit first, then spent the big bucks.
Arrows are consumables when you are new, don’t buy the match grade stuff until you can shoot a little.

Marble

WKR
I think the OP made a great choice. I wouldn't do a 70-80 pound bow, but that me. I shoot a 500ish grain arrow with a cut on contact head, and my arrow rarely doesn't keep going after hitting the animal.

The ultra is all I shoot. I'm the same size as the OP.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
What you got is perfect. You won’t ever need another bow until you get old and need to drop to a 50#.

nphunter

WKR
I agree with others, I shoot an RX4 and often wish I would have purchased the Ultra. I've actually considered selling it and going back to an older Hoyt with 35" BH and #2 cams so I can still shoot off of the top of the cam at my 28" draw. I also agree with draw weight, it's overrated and I think it's a mistake to shoot 80lbs, shooting a lot is what makes us better archers, and shooting 80lbs+ you won't be able to shoot as much as you would with 70 and still keep your good form.

I went down that road for a long time, I shot a CST at 77lbs for years, shot it at 3D shoots shooting 100+ shots in a day and honestly during the time I was shooting 77lbs I shot way less than previously with my 65 & 70lb bows. I also have a buddy who was talked into an 80lb RX3 Ultra by the hoyt dealer, he was concerned about speed and he essentially did exactly what you are doing. "Buy the slower/smoother bow and shoot more poundage", I bet he hasn't shot that bow more than 200 shots since buying it when they first came out 5 years ago, watching him draw the bow makes me cringe.

Anyway, recently there has been a huge push in 80lb bows, it's one fad that I wish would go away, they just aren't needed with todays awesome components and honestly the extra draw weight is hard on the bows. I went through 2 sets of strings, 3 sets of limbs and 1 riser on my carbon hoyt at 77lbs all replaced under warranty. IMO the extra stress on all of the components takes a toll on the bows. I also shot that bow a ton and shot if from 2013-2021.

OP
M

Matias

FNG
I agree with others, I shoot an RX4 and often wish I would have purchased the Ultra. I've actually considered selling it and going back to an older Hoyt with 35" BH and #2 cams so I can still shoot off of the top of the cam at my 28" draw. I also agree with draw weight, it's overrated and I think it's a mistake to shoot 80lbs, shooting a lot is what makes us better archers, and shooting 80lbs+ you won't be able to shoot as much as you would with 70 and still keep your good form.

I went down that road for a long time, I shot a CST at 77lbs for years, shot it at 3D shoots shooting 100+ shots in a day and honestly during the time I was shooting 77lbs I shot way less than previously with my 65 & 70lb bows. I also have a buddy who was talked into an 80lb RX3 Ultra by the hoyt dealer, he was concerned about speed and he essentially did exactly what you are doing. "Buy the slower/smoother bow and shoot more poundage", I bet he hasn't shot that bow more than 200 shots since buying it when they first came out 5 years ago, watching him draw the bow makes me cringe.

Anyway, recently there has been a huge push in 80lb bows, it's one fad that I wish would go away, they just aren't needed with todays awesome components and honestly the extra draw weight is hard on the bows. I went through 2 sets of strings, 3 sets of limbs and 1 riser on my carbon hoyt at 77lbs all replaced under warranty. IMO the extra stress on all of the components takes a toll on the bows. I also shot that bow a ton and shot if from 2013-2021.
That’s for the Information, super informative and helpful. I only went with the 70-80 because they could turn it down and it went to a level I was comfortable starting at. When I go to pick it up if it’s not at the same poundage I will not take it. I have heard from many like yourself who says placement kills our poundage and for target 70 and 80 is no fun.

The shop was cool, they never pressured me any way and as any wise salesperson would do offered me the carbon. While I don’t know anything about bows, you could feel a difference. Whether that’s worth the money, probably not. However I also didn’t want to wait 8 weeks for an aluminum non camo Vtm.

OP
M

Matias

FNG
I think the OP made a great choice. I wouldn't do a 70-80 pound bow, but that me. I shoot a 500ish grain arrow with a cut on contact head, and my arrow rarely doesn't keep going after hitting the animal.

The ultra is all I shoot. I'm the same size as the OP.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I was not interested in the 70-80 and actually was going to take the 60-70. They were able to turn it down to a poundage I felt more comfortable starting with, it does give me flexibility should I ever want to shoot a touch over 72.

I just have to ensure when I pick it up it still reads a comfortable weight.

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
You picked a fine bow, but 80 pounds is not needed. If you talk to some of the older guys that shot 80 pounds in their youth to try to gain speed, a lot of them have major shoulder problems. I never got on that band wagon and I am very glad I didn't.

If I were you, I would go with 70 pound max and save some heart ache (shoulder actually) down the road.

I can draw some of the 80 pound bows, but you need to consider real world hunting situations. Can you draw it in a ground blind or awkward position? What about when you are cold? Can you draw it smoothly with game 20 yards or less from you? Can you let the bow down easily if needed?

I prefer bows with 60 or 65 pound max weight, and shoot them at about 60 pounds. Don't worry about speed. Accuracy is what matters and there are very good rangefinders for way less than the cost of your bow.