Rush to get rifle/scope/rings set up

Vitals

WKR
So I got back from a hunt this afternoon and was wiping down my old M77. I noticed that the rings (old crappy Weaver) were loose. When I went to tighten the front one, after about a half-turn, the clamp broke.
I had planned on fine tuning the accuracy tomorrow at the range, but it seems now I will be going to the local gun store in the morning. I have been wanting to put a new scope on the rifle for some time. It has an old VX2 on currently.
Cost is a factor here. So I was thinking of getting a new VX2. The store also carries Zeiss. What are some thoughts on the differences between the two brands of scopes?

OP
Vitals

Vitals

WKR
Also, my rush is that I only have this weekend to get it sighted in again for opening day of Bzone next weekend. If I had more time, I would likely look at Vortex and shop around. But as murphy would have it, It seems I have to use what the LGS has at their disposal, which is a decent selection.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have yet to find a scope that is better for my purposes than a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36. It's light and works great out to as far as I shoot. I'd love to see somebody make something like it in the same size and weight for a few bucks less.... ;)

OP
Vitals

Vitals

WKR
What differences are there between that VX-3, and the VX-2?

I have yet to find a scope that is better for my purposes than a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36. It's light and works great out to as far as I shoot. I'd love to see somebody make something like it in the same size and weight for a few bucks less.... ;)

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am no optic expert, but the VX3s appear to me to be a little better in low light than than the VX2s. I really like that VX-3 2.5-8x36's size. With the B&C reticule I am good to around 400 with no dials to twist. Took some practice to figure that out, but worth it. Mine is on a .338 WM, my light weight do it all Alaskan rifle. Simple and burly. Works for me. :)

OP
Vitals

Vitals

WKR
Awesome. I'm dealing with considerably different requirements being in CA and shooting a .270. My max range would be 300 yds roughly. We will see how it goes tomorrow and I'll let you know what I walk out with.

Shrek

WKR
If they have Meopta I would look seriously at them and the Zeiss. The Zeiss blows the Leopold away imo. If I had to have it running this weekend I wouldn't buy a new scope. Some new rings and recenter the reticle when you remount the scope. Then I'd save my dollars and buy a better scope when you are ready.

OP
Vitals

Vitals

WKR
In your opinion, what would that better league of scope be. I know Vortex seems to be up there with new optic technology and such.

If they have Meopta I would look seriously at them and the Zeiss. The Zeiss blows the Leopold away imo. If I had to have it running this weekend I wouldn't buy a new scope. Some new rings and recenter the reticle when you remount the scope. Then I'd save my dollars and buy a better scope when you are ready.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member

If weight is not a key criteria a lot of options arise. But that VX3 2.5-8x36 at 11.4ozs is an unique little bugger....

Shrek

WKR
Midrange scopes would meopta , zeiss conquest . Upper midrange would be swarovski z3 and take out a second mortgage end would be swarovski z6 and zeiss victory. I just bought the z3 and I'm very happy with it. I'm not a Leopold fan. Everthing is dingy yellow looking through them to me and overpriced. The color and brightness of the zeiss is best to me but the swarovski isn't far off and has much better tracking and I like the reticles better. For a real bargin imo look on cameralandny.com ( a sponsor ) under deal of the day list or the demo list.

Shrek

WKR
The minox z5 I had that now sits on a friends rifle was pretty nice glass for what I paid. They are being closed out to make way for new models and can be found at some great prices.

OP
Vitals

Vitals

WKR
The idea of just throwing new rings on it is becoming more appealing. On one hand, the scope that on their now is old and funky to make adjustments with. there is no clicking turret to let you know how much you have adjusted it. The glass does seem fine though. Pretty clear. I also don't know how much I want to invest in this older family rifle. ugh. Just not sure here.

think you are answering your own question. if in a rush put on new rings/current scope. think and research what you want in a new scope later to go with the new rings.

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Put on rings and find the scope you want later. I have a ton of Leupold scopes and wouldn't underestimate them. I like the VXIII much better than the II's and use VXIII 3.5-10X40's on my primary hunting guns. Comfortably a 350+ yard gun. Ziess may have better glass, but make sure you get the reticle that you want as some of the European reticles are quite a bit different than what you are used to. IMO.

Shrek

WKR
What is the old family m77 ? I wouldn't be in a rush to retire it if it works well for you. Many of the Rugers will really shoot well with a little work. They often become absolute tack drivers with a bed job and a cleaned up trigger. Unless the barrel is pitted from corrosion I bet it will shoot. Of course it's always fun to go gun shopping too :) .

OP
Vitals

Vitals

WKR
I had a gunsmith look at it a while back and said the barrel looked okay. I'm not sure otherwise how I would tell if it is pitted? I have never been able to get it shooting super tight groups, but certainly kill zone groups. Shrek- what do you mean by what is the m77? Cal? it is a .270 win.

Shrek

WKR
It's probably a tang safety model and I'm kind of fond of those. I had one in 6mm rem that was a 1/4" monster once I bedded it and found a load. It copper fouled terrible and even after it was well broken in it had to be cleaned every 15 or so shots or it opened up to a shotgun pattern. I sold it and have regretted it ever since. I tried to buy it back and the guy just chuckled .
A bed job and a trigger would help and then if you hand load or have a friend that does make up some loads and find something it likes. There is no way the barrel is shot out so if the smith said it looked good it probably is. Clean it well then hold it up to a light and look. It should look shinny and smooth. Even lightly pitted barrels can still shoot well sometimes. Either way , the learning how to bed an action and work up a load is worth the exercise.

Shrek

WKR
If you decide to bed your action yourself , PUT AWAY THE POWER TOOLS ! I would post a picture of my first attempt but I burned it after I buggered it up with the drimel tool. I buggered up two more stocks before I learned my lesson and put it away. I haven't messed anymore stocks up since I started using hand chisels to relieve the stocks.

OP
Vitals

Vitals

WKR
Yeah its a tang safety model. Its a great rifle that I enjoy shooting. I guess I just need to figure out how to tighten groups a little more so I am more confident with it. I will get a good feel for how accurate the rifle really is (without human error) when I shoot it Sunday off a sled. I have always been unsure of my ability to shoot it since I am relatively new to rifle shooting.

Shrek

WKR
If it has an unworked trigger it will be hard to shoot well. It's hard to surprise yourself with a 4lb+ trigger. Every Ruger I have ever shot had a terrible trigger from the factory. I did my first trigger job when I was about 12 on a ruger 10-22 . I made a lot of mistakes but in the end I got it to work much better. I didn't have a Guage but I bet it was down to two pounds. The factory trigger had to be over 6 lbs. Bad Ruger triggers got me started modifying my guns.