Ruger Hawkeye Hunter 300 wm?

pass shot

FNG
Still trying to decide on a new gun. Def 300 wm. Im back and forth from tacticool precision set ups and traditional wood. Wood is my preferred and I'm not worried about beating it up but I want ever ethical advantage when it come to the potential for a 500 yd shot. That said anyone have any experience with the newer Hawkeye Hunters? How do they shoot at the reasonable long ranges? Not trying to shoot 1000 yds.

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
I've handled a few and they have all been great shooters the 77s have always been great guns in my opinion I'm a big fan of the Hawkeye in stainless with a good laminated stock.

I'm looking at the Hawkeye hunter and the tikka roughtech what I don't like is how little there is to read on the ruger

Wapiti1

WKR
There isn't much to read on the Ruger Hawkeye because its basically been unchanged since 1991 outside of the Hawkeye trigger. The Hawkeye rifles that I've shot have all been decent shooters. I would say that they are 1.5" or better rifles in a general statement which is on par with every other factory rifle out there.

I find it interesting that wood stocks are deemed sub-par to synthetic. Factory wood is more often than not, better than factory tupperware from a bedding and stiffness standpoint. You have to go aftermarket to get into a quality synthetic stock.

If you like wood, get it and do two things. Make sure the barrel has good free float clearance, and skim bed the action. The only other thing to do is take off the buttpad and slather some wood finish on under there. They often don't finish under the pad. At that point, it is stable and weatherproof enough for all but the most extreme hunts.

Jeremy

Glad to see someone gave me some info here. Appreciate it. I'm a lefty not alot of options out there, my xbolt 300wm is great but I want to get 1 left handed rifle for me. My toss up is the ruger and tikka roughtech. I think the ruger stock is far superior both are stainless with muzzlebrake.