Ruger build vs tikka 223

I’m debating what I want to do. I have a ruger american ranch in 5.56 but I hate the stock and don’t love the trigger so either I replace the trigger and the stock for a Magpul stock or I just sell it and get a tikka in 223 what would rokslide do?

How does it shoot? Whats the barrel twist? If it is accurate I would keep and upgrade it. Tikka stocks and triggers aren’t great either.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I had both rifles at one time. I also hated the stock and the trigger is not friendly on the Ruger. Both rifles shot about the same but the Tikka fed much better. I kept the Tikka and traded for another Tikka with the Ruger.

atmat

WKR
How does it shoot? Whats the barrel twist? If it is accurate I would keep and upgrade it. Tikka stocks and triggers aren’t great either.
I actually think the Tikka triggers are nice for a factory gun. And while I don’t love the Tikka stocks, they’re serviceable with a vertical grip and increasing the float space.

Otherwise, I echo the statement above. If your Ruger shoots well, just keep it and upgrade as needed.

The magpul stock is heavy. I have one on a Ruger American Predator 223 and it weighs 9 lbs 10 oz. with a basic scope.

colby12

WKR
I got the Ruger because I could find one, the barrel was already threaded, short, and I like my other calibers in the Ruger American. The 5.56 is not smooth, shoots fine, but I’m not as pleased with it as I am with my other two. I will probably keep it just because I have it and need a couple for my kids, but am actively looking for a Tikka.

colby12

WKR
I asked the exact question last week. They were quick to respond. They said it would work, it would convert the action to AICS instead of stanag.

sell. but youll probably get beat up pretty bad unless you can trade up to a tikka at your lgs or find someone local so you avoid shipping/fees etc

grfox92

WKR
View attachment 584977
Hack the stock until you like it. Take the blade out of the trigger and cut a coil off. Let ‘er eat.
If I can get mine shooting right, I have a template for a module I am going to make to turn the grip into a verticle out of composite decking. Just a small wedge that I will pin or hockey tape to the existing stock.

What is the base for yours? Fiberglass?

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

BLJ

WKR

Basis was a scrap piece of 2x6 (I think).

The link has my write up.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM.

BLJ

WKR
Broke alot of clay birds at 800yrds with mine...still wouldnt buy another one lol

I understand that. My Tikka is way more refined than my RA’s for sure.
But when I bought my Ranch, everything was hard to find. And expensive.

I’ll agree with not buying another one in todays market. The price gap between a Tikka and an RA is a lot smaller than it was.

OP
T

Basis was a scrap piece of 2x6 (I think).

The link has my write up.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM.
I sent you a message!