Ruger build vs tikka 223

I’ve never shot a tikka, but bought a Ruger American ranch rifle a few months ago and I’ve been pleasantly surprised with the accuracy I’ve gotten out of the rifle. My bolt isn’t overly difficult to use either. I am not a fan of the stock, but at a minimum I can paint it.

OP
T
Yes I’m well aware that I’ll be polishing a turd in comparison to my tikka but the bolt is actually quite smooth on mine and the accuracy is there so I’ve decided to polish this turd and put the lipstick on the pig. Stay tuned for the build.

Eleven

FNG
I have a Ruger American Ranch in 5.56. It is what it is, don’t expect it to be more than that. A Tikka is a better firearm hands down. However, the RAR is inexpensive, was available, is very handy with the short threaded barrel, I can shoot it very well, and I beat the crap out of it without any concerns. I’ve done no modifications to it other than a taped on cheek piece and I‘m getting some fantastic rockslide type practice ala @Formidilosus with it. And I’ll hunt with it this fall in three different states.

Yes, I’m saving my pennies for a tikka build, but at the moment I’m also building a homestead and putting 2 kids through college. So I needed to make due. It gets me in the bolt action .223/5.56 game immediately and allows me to practice a ton now instead of down the road.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a Ruger American Ranch in 5.56. It is what it is, don’t expect it to be more than that. A Tikka is a better firearm hands down. However, the RAR is inexpensive, was available, is very handy with the short threaded barrel, I can shoot it very well, and I beat the crap out of it without any concerns. I’ve done no modifications to it other than a taped on cheek piece and I‘m getting some fantastic rockslide type practice ala @Formidilosus with it. And I’ll hunt with it this fall in three different states.

Yes, I’m saving my pennies for a tikka build, but at the moment I’m also building a homestead and putting 2 kids through college. So I needed to make do. It gets me in the bolt action .223/5.56 game immediately and allows me to practice a ton now instead of down the road.
Nothing wrong with that. I know I often overthink my rifle when it’s probably one of the least important pieces of gear for a hunt. Optics, boots, packs, raingear etc are things that can ruin a hunt. A Ruger American is a capable gun that will get you out there and let you hunt.

Reactions: BLJ

grfox92

WKR
Yes I’m well aware that I’ll be polishing a turd in comparison to my tikka but the bolt is actually quite smooth on mine and the accuracy is there so I’ve decided to polish this turd and put the lipstick on the pig. Stay tuned for the build.
I'm a big fan of rooting for the underdog.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
How does it shoot? Whats the barrel twist? If it is accurate I would keep and upgrade it. Tikka stocks and triggers aren’t great either.
Stock Tikka trigger is phenomenal...

I have a Ruger American predator. Definitely all around a clunky gun, not refined at all. It's a C- in the finish department. However, it shoots and it's about 1/2 as expensive as a Tikka and it came threaded. If I had more money I'd go Tikka and get the barrel threaded. I also am not a trigger queen. If it's under 5lbs I'm good and both the Ruger and Tikka triggers are well below that. Fully stock I can shoot sub moa out of my other Tikkas as well as my Ruger. Ruger is probably better value if you don't mind the rough bolt. If you want to turn your Ruger stock into a $800 custom stock for just $20. Get some of the stretch medical tape and some neoprene foam and getter a better cheek weld. It will form to your face over time. Extreme custom lol.

Oliver65!

FNG
I have a tikka compact in 223 that i use for a truck gun and my daughters regularly kill all sorts of critters with it