Ruffed Grouse as a Newbie

MOwhitetail

Lil-Rokslider
I recently moved to mid-Michigan and have heard people talk about hunting ruffed grouse up in the UP. How difficult is it to have a little success as someone who’s never done it before?

I won’t be living here for more than a couple years so it’s not something I am going to devote my life to learning, but I figure while I’m here I should try it out at least once.

It seems some animals it takes half a lifetime to figure out how to consistently get the job done while others are as easy as a walk in the woods.

I’ve got a chessie who’s hell on ducks and has had a few good days of picking up pheasants too, but he’s not a trained grouse dog-whatever that would mean.

Hunt young cut 5-15 year aspen stands. If you walk in a cut and think your hat wouldnt come back down if you threw it in the air your in the right stuff. Hunt edges. Have realistic expectations. For every maybe 20 birds flushed you may connect on 1. They are tough birds and make you work. They are smart birds

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I have a cabin in northern MN and have enjoyed chasing the little buggers for 35 years. Top notch table fare and a very regal bird with a storied history. I have some of the classic books on RF hunting I would sell it interested.

Anyway, I do not have a dog any longer so I typically just walk the many logging roads and trails in the public land forest. The fall woods are magical.
My main advice is to always have your shotgun at port arms with your finger on the safety They will explode fast and furious and very expectantly. I came from prairie pheasant and sharptail upbringing. The hardest thing to ingrain in your head is to IGNORE all the trees and brush! Swing with the bird and fire regardless if you just lost sight of it. They are pussies and I swear sometimes fall at the sound :). Shoot 7 1/2 or 8 shot. I have had many shots where I track the bird and then fire blind only to hear the ground death flap.

Also take into account you average about 1.5 seconds from the bird flushing until it's gone to take your shot. You really don't aim. Naturally point the shotgun and let it rip. Use open chokes. If you have a flushing dog an IC would he best bet. I have a 9 year old GWP that was primarily a pheasant dog but now going into her 5th grouse season. I have been using a sxs 20 gauge and choke it cylinder / skeet with good success. Don't get. Discouraged. Hammer a limit of woodcock if anything and have fun

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk