Rubber Hunting Boots for Kodiak Island?

TBASTIAN

FNG
Just booked our hunt for Sitka Blacktail Deer on Kodiak Island, next fall. I traditionally hunt with a couple of pairs of Kennetrek Mountain Extremes, but am thinking I should consider an insulated, rubber boot for this hunt. I hate to switch over to a rubber boot, as they never seem to have the support I want, and they're quite a bit sloppier than my lace up Kennetreks. Anybody have any suggestions for a solid rubber boot, that would work on Kodiak's steep terrain? I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have. Thanks!
-TB

I think you'll regret rubber boots on Kodiak for a backpack style hunt. With that said, if you're set on getting some rubber boots to have for the trip, up there xtratufs are the only choice in rubber boots.

Why are you doubting your hiking boots?

OP
T

TBASTIAN

FNG
Was simply worried about the amount of wet terrain and creek crossings. Have read a few articles on hunting there that have suggested the rubber boots. Perhaps I simply need to stay with my regular boots?

I've hunted for weeks on Kodiak with rubber Muck boots, no issues at all. I've also hunted for weeks with traditional hiking boots, no issues there either. I think I prefer hiking boots though.

I've always brought both. Stiff hikers for climbing high in dry or moderately wet weather, and rubber Xtratuffs for around camp and those really really wet days.

I prefer the hikers for the majority of the time, but some days just call for rubber.

I've never used insulated. They just get too clunky for me, and even in early November I've been fine in un-insulated.

tdot

WKR
Not Kodiak, but on the Queen Charlotte's in BC, I've used a lace up pair of rubber boots. No idea the name, but I believe they are logging boots, or somethink similar. It took awhile to find a version without steel toes or the spikes on the soles. But I eventually did. They were money. I still wouldnt replace my hiking boots with them, but it wasnt a disaster hiking in some of the steeper terrain during monsoon season, as there was still some ankle support and rigidity in the sole.

Schnees Hunter II are good boots and you can get an uninsulated model of the same boot which used with a good wool blend sock should be plenty warm for the temperatures you would likely be hunting in. Get either the 13 or 17 " height. They are rubber bottom and leather top and are excellent boots. For me they have plenty of ankle and leg support. Made in Bozeman Montana.

Whites Outdoorsman with the Montana Claw lug sole are a solid leather boot very well made right in Spokane Washington. I have the uninsulated Outdoorsman and hunted in cold snowy conditions and they were great. A good set of gaiters would be good to help keep your lower leg from the knee down dry and prevent water from coming in the top of the boot when the pant-leg gets wet. They are fantastic boots and I am so glad that I bought them.

Used to wear Lacrosse outdoorsman boots here in Western WA, the prerunner to the Burley which is the current ones they offer. Still have a pair thats at least 10 years old. Sole tread wasn't the best but worked. The Rutmasters are the new style neoprene and rubber, like muck boots, should have good sole for traction and will be warm and waterproof. Just depends on how much hiking you intend to do and how well conditioned your feet are.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I find rubber bottom/leather top boots are perfect for Kodiak unless you are going early up high, then your current boots would be a better choice.