Gooseneck Dump Trailer

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
While trailers are on the top page figured I’d throw out one of my current quandaries to the group. Looking for a well built gooseneck dump trailer. Looking at a cat 299 as the design haul minimum. The 299 is a lot heavier than my mini, so guessing weight is the limiting factor vs overall size? Need to tow up logging roads at least to where a lowboy can make it. When on site will use to move and dump spoil, rock, slash, stumps and whatever. No issue with needing a CDL or whatnot, would prefer to not have to buy a dually. Right now looking at Diamond C or Gator. Manufacturer w/ west coast distributors would be best. Open to any and all options, opinions, alternatives. Thanks folks.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Diamond C has been great for us. We own 2 tilt decks, 2 dump trailers, and a 40 foot flat deck with hydraulic dovetail. They get overloaded constantly and don’t bat an eye.

For a 299 ( I own a CAT 299 D3 XE) which is larger than the standard 299, plus trailer weight and attachments you’ll want a minimum dual 10K axles. My machine plus a grader attachment is 16K alone. 40 foot trailer is 12K empty. You can load the newer dually trucks up pretty damn heavy on the gooseneck freeing up some of your trailer weight for more capacity.

On my old 40 foot trailer and my new Diamond C I could load it real heavy for local hauls to job sites.

Here’s a CAT 299 D3 and a Kubota SVL 97 hooked to my 5500 pickup. I can also haul my KX080-4 Mini Ex and a skid steer if needed.

Stepping up to Diamond C from the Big Tex, Texas Pride, and Iron Bulls I used before is night and day in quality and longevity.

IMG_8535.jpeg

I have an 8 ton dump trailer, I think doing it again I'd prefer a big single axle dump truck with a bumper pull tilt trailer for machine if all I was doing was using that one machine.

If it's a between the wheels trailer, max is like 82", don't know what the 299's are, but several of the track machines are too wide to go between the wheels.

The dump trailers are pretty limited in my experience compared to something like a 26k truck with a dump body. Get a pull behind trailer for 10k #'s(a 14-16k trailer registered @ 10k) , and a sub 26k truck, tho that's talking about CDL, stuff you said you weren't worried about.

With a battery dump all you get is like a max of 10, maybe 12 dumps a day if you have really good charging off the tow vehicle. So for moving material on site, it kinda sucks if you are looking at loading and turning in 15-20 minutes.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have an 8 ton dump trailer, I think doing it again I'd prefer a big single axle dump truck with a bumper pull tilt trailer for machine if all I was doing was using that one machine.

If it's a between the wheels trailer, max is like 82", don't know what the 299's are, but several of the track machines are too wide to go between the wheels.

The dump trailers are pretty limited in my experience compared to something like a 26k truck with a dump body. Get a pull behind trailer for 10k #'s(a 14-16k trailer registered @ 10k) , and a sub 26k truck, tho that's talking about CDL, stuff you said you weren't worried about.

With a battery dump all you get is like a max of 10, maybe 12 dumps a day if you have really good charging off the tow vehicle. So for moving material on site, it kinda sucks if you are looking at loading and turning in 15-20 minutes.
Most the newer diesels are dual battery and you just leave the truck running and trailer plugged in. Dump all day long.

I do miss my old GMC topkick with the NA Detroit diesel. Never should have sold that. Tilt deck bumper pull behind that was handy.

OP
N

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
Diamond C has been great for us. We own 2 tilt decks, 2 dump trailers, and a 40 foot flat deck with hydraulic dovetail. They get overloaded constantly and don’t bat an eye.

For a 299 ( I own a CAT 299 D3 XE) which is larger than the standard 299, plus trailer weight and attachments you’ll want a minimum dual 10K axles. My machine plus a grader attachment is 16K alone. 40 foot trailer is 12K empty. You can load the newer dually trucks up pretty damn heavy on the gooseneck freeing up some of your trailer weight for more capacity.

On my old 40 foot trailer and my new Diamond C I could load it real heavy for local hauls to job sites.

Here’s a CAT 299 D3 and a Kubota SVL 97 hooked to my 5500 pickup. I can also haul my KX080-4 Mini Ex and a skid steer if needed.

Stepping up to Diamond C from the Big Tex, Texas Pride, and Iron Bulls I used before is night and day in quality and longevity.

View attachment 772297
Much appreciated!

Most the newer diesels are dual battery and you just leave the truck running and trailer plugged in. Dump all day long.

I do miss my old GMC topkick with the NA Detroit diesel. Never should have sold that. Tilt deck bumper pull behind that was handy.

It's not like I don't have a newer diesel, and mine won't dump all day long. I carry a second battery for the trailer.

You can't keep it going off of 10ga trailer wires.

Dual batteries in truck and dual on trailer and dedicated 50 amp fuse and my guys can dump loads all day. Maybe they are smoking wires and not telling me haha.

A dual battery on the trailer should handle it, but unless you have a 25k dual tandem dump I don't see those. When talking tandem single axle most manufacturers aren't putting 1500 cranking amps on the pump, or giving you space to add that.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I know for 2 of those, you might as well be towing a Cat 953C around for the weight

Of course, it ain't got the quick connect, but damn. For what these machines are turning into for payload.
These big CTLs are so much more versatile and rubber tracks go anywhere and onto any trailer. You would not believe how much work gets done with a big skid steer and various attachments. It’s honestly mind blowing.

These big CTLs are so much more versatile and rubber tracks go anywhere and onto any trailer. You would not believe how much work gets done with a big skid steer and various attachments. It’s honestly mind blowing.

I'm not disagreeing really, it's what I use.

But these things use to go behind 3/4 ton trucks with lighter duty trailers. Now, my machine with small attachments is 18k.

Depends on what you are doing, lot of stuff around here is still big loader work, but it's no joke what 100hp machines are getting done.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I'm not disagreeing really, it's what I use.

But these things use to go behind 3/4 ton trucks with lighter duty trailers. Now, my machine with small attachments is 18k.

Depends on what you are doing, lot of stuff around here is still big loader work, but it's no joke what 100hp machines are getting done.
Totally agree. That new 335P Deere machine is just a monster. 120 horse and on the scale it’s actually 14K with just a bucket.

Sorry OP. I’ve gone and clogged up another thread haha.

Your limiting factor will actually be your ramps most likely. Have a 16’ PJ gooseneck dump with 7k axles and you can’t drive anything much more than maybe 8k on the ramps without bending them

Your limiting factor will actually be your ramps most likely. Have a 16’ PJ gooseneck dump with 7k axles and you can’t drive anything much more than maybe 8k on the ramps without bending them

I have a Cam, first set of ramps I started to bend using a 10k track machine.

They built me another set, my current track machine is over 12k no attachment and they are still holding up fine.

Just gotta be easy on them, take your time so machine isn't dumping onto the ramps hard. Also want drop down legs or jacks on the back of the dump to support it loading/unloading.