RRS TFCT 33 vs TFCT 14L Anvil 30 For backpack hunting tripod

tdluke90

FNG
Hey guys I use this site for tons of research but rarely contribute much so I thought I would throw out some recent comparisons and observations on these tripods I got to run side by side. This is coming from someone who is an average shot, with limited tripod shooting experience, and using rifles that average .75-1 moa for 3-5 shot groups. My goal was finding a tripod that would give me increased shot potential and accuracy in a weight I'm willing to carry. I basically got these out and shot hundreds of rounds through my 22 and a handful of rounds through my 6.5 prc from multiple positions. I shot the majority as groups at 100 yards then did a little shooting at 400. With both tripods I could shoot standing 10 shot groups in the 1.5-2 moa range immediately. The 33 had noticeably less shake but i could still manage to shoot equally as good of standing groups with the 14. I just had to really focus on steading it and timing my shots with the 14. From the kneeling position I noticed the same thing but just not as exaggerated as standing.
From the sitting position they were so close I could hardly notice any difference and would rather pack the lighter tripod.

The biggest difference came from doing speed drills from a standing position. I would take 3 different aiming points with each about a foot apart. I would shoot one shot at one then move to the next and repeat for 3 rounds or 9 shots total. Doing this for time I could finish almost twice as fast with the 33 vs the 14 and have slightly better groups. I think the 33 would be noticeable better in high wind and high stress situations to control the shakes a person might get especially with youth hunters also. End the end its still a tough decision but I think the extra pound is worth the versatility of being able to shoot any position and especially for my fiancé and nephew who I think would have a much harder time timing shots off the lighter tripod. I think moving to one of these especially the 33 is a game changer for myself coming from a aziak and promaster xc-m 525C. With either of those I would need another tripod in the rear to grab against the buttstock to get the same steadiness.

bayangler

FNG
Thanks for posting this. I have the 34L and really love the stability but have been considering the 14L for hunts that I’m hiking a good amount. I don’t have access to a 14L though so I just don’t know how much I’m giving up and if it’s worth the weight savings. Sounds like you prefer the 33 overall. If you had both, would you ever take the 14L? I have other light tripods but after using the 34L, I never bring them. I guess what I’m trying to figure is that while I know the 14L is less stable than the 33, is it appreciably more stable than other light weight tripods?

OP
T

tdluke90

FNG
In a perfect world I would own both and carry the 14L for hunts in the mtns where I feel i can almost always get a seated shot and use the 33 for flatter terrain or when I have my fiancé with me. Your 34L is about 2 lbs heavier which is a big difference. I went with the 33 because its only a a 1lb difference and easier to shoot kneeling or standing. If you can get sitting the 14l is amazing to shoot off of. I would bet most ppl who put a little practice in with it can shoot 1-2 moa standing up with it. I wish they made the 14 in a seated height only like 28-36 inches tall and shaved another 1/2 a lb of it. You could always remove the lower leg extensions I guess though. I only have my promaster and aziak to compare to and for shooting they aren't even in the same conversation as the 14L. I had an extremely tough time deciding which to get because my groups were almost the same with the 14L as the 33. I just had to try way harder and take longer with my shots when standing and kneeling using the 14L and I didn't feel as confident when doing it.

bayangler

FNG
Thanks, you bring up a good point about the time it takes to get on target and get a shot off with confidence. I wouldn’t have thought about that.
At some point, I guess I’m going to have to get my hands on the 14L to see if the limitations in stability are worth the 2lbs.