RRS BH-30 vs LEO LH-30 ball heads

ElPollo

WKR
I’ve read multiple threads that say bite the bullet and buy the RRS Anvil 30 ball head for shooting off a tripod, and that the Leofoto version does not remotely compare. I’d like to know specifics about why from people who’ve used both. Under what circumstances does the cheaper perform reasonably and what does it fail at? Why should one spend the extra money for the RRS ball head?

Thanks in advance.

6.5x284

WKR
Can't speak to the LH-30 but I have the Leo MG-40 and it's fantastic. It retains the same (because it's probably stolen IP) pic and arca attachment from the Anvil 30 but with a more traditional ball head tension knob vice a on/off tension lever. I've played with an Anvil 30 and like it as well, but like the adjustable tension from the ball heads generally since it's glassed off lots too over the anvil. I have multiple RRS leveling bases and they have all been great. I actually see a lot of guys just run a bag on a tac table for the shooting portion as well with great success.

Personally I would approach it like this. If you are going to shoot 5+ national two day matches a year I'd move to a RRS head, it is probably made better. If you are shooting for fun, range, club or local matches, I'd rather put that money to powder and bullets. As much as I hate funding China, I'm not a pro shooter and I don't see enough value between the two. Honestly I think the legs make more of a difference than the head.

Last edited: