Rookie Self-Guided Elk Hunt

mjspeers

Lil-Rokslider
About me: I’ve hunted my whole life in the Midwest,
25+ years. White tails archery/muzzleloader, waterfowl, turkey, coyote, everything possible. I have done some guided hunts for moose and bear in Canada.

I, of course, watch a ton of hunting videos of western hunting and do a lot of research. In the last couple of years I have started putting in for elk tags in a few western states. My strategy as of now is mostly acquiring points by putting into really good units with low non resident odds. Mainly rifle units as I’d rather get one in the bag with rifle before starting on archery.

And here’s the crux, I tend to think if I draw a good unit I could go out myself or likely my dad in his 60s would want to go. Is that unrealistic? With the right gear and general hunting knowledge in a good unit would I fair okay?

I definitely would encourage you to go. No better way to learn and figure it out until you’re on the side of the mountain doing it. That being said, the only concern I would have is the pack out. Elk are big critters. I’m not sure how fit your dad is but if you get in there a ways and kill one, just be prepared that it’s going to likely take several days and a lot of hiking/sidehilling to get the animal out. It’s completely do-able though, just make sure you’re physically ready for the demands that’s going to put on your body

OP
M

mjspeers

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in decent shape. Won’t win any competitions but think I can get it done. For his age my dad’s in great shape. If I drew a tag Im sure I would spend some time training by doing some marches with weight.

Awesome! The other thing I forgot to mention is invest in good, stiff soled boots. My first elk hunt, I ran a pair of $80 cabellas specials and after about day 3, my feet were shot. I was able to finish the hunt but man that was rough. I now have a pair of Lowa Tibet GTX high’s and couldn’t be happier. Obviously find whatever boot works for your foot but when side hilling I’ve found the stiffer the sole the better

OP
M

mjspeers

Lil-Rokslider
Boots are definitely something I’ll have to look into. I’ve slowly been adding stuff to my gear that works for stuff I do, like tripod, rifle, NL pures. But there will be some more open country stuff I’ll need to add like spotter, tent, large backpack.

Beendare

WKR
Just do it.
there is a lot of info on the various websites if you search and you can glean a lot from the videos on YouTube, keeping in mind that they are only showing a small portion of the hunt. The majority of these hunts is a long, grind it out, burn boot leather and cover ground until you find them type thing.

Ludo

FNG
Not sure if you’re experienced in dealing with altitude, but be prepared to go very slow for the first 2-3 days in the mountains. It takes a while to acclimate. Take that into account when planning your trip! If possible, spend a few days at altitude BEFORE opening day.

Jimbee

WKR
I was in the same situation a few years ago. My advice is to use whatever you currently have as far as gear, or at least don't go overboard buying a bunch of gear like i did. Figure out what boots, pack etc you are going to use and use it before you go. I've been going out west the last 5 years and learned a lot. Just go!

OP
M

mjspeers

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the tips.

Altitude: I’m in Iowa. Any ideas to simulate altitude prior to going?

Gear: I’m probably a bit of a gear junkie. What things are necessities verses nice to have. I tend to go overboard.

What do people generally use for mapping? Just a cellphone and app? I see a lot on those inReach devices but don’t know much about them.

What things would a rookie planning using YouTube/internet be unprepared for or the unforeseen that usually takes field experience to anticipate?

f16jack

WKR
Go for it. Do some good study and talk with successful DIY elk hunters before you go. Otherwise you may not see any elk and simply be a hunter with a gun.

Jimbee

WKR
Thanks for all the tips.

Altitude: I’m in Iowa. Any ideas to simulate altitude prior to going?

Gear: I’m probably a bit of a gear junkie. What things are necessities verses nice to have. I tend to go overboard.

What do people generally use for mapping? Just a cellphone and app? I see a lot on those inReach devices but don’t know much about them.

What things would a rookie planning using YouTube/internet be unprepared for or the unforeseen that usually takes field experience to anticipate?
I use onX. Some places my phone works and others it doesn't. I bought an inreach because I was was going on a solo elk hunt. I live in Iowa and really haven't had any issues with altitude besides a bit shorter of breath.

I use my cellphone along with OnX 90 percent of the time. I also have the Garmin app and a Garmin Fenix watch which I could use in a pinch. I have the Inreach as well but have never used it for mapping or navigation, but do use it to text the wife occasionally since the area we hunt has no cell service.

williaada

WKR
Go out west and hunt… look for some equipment used-packs, bino holders, and some of the outdoor gear.

Also, do not upgrade things until you have used something to see if you will use it going forward.

OP
M

mjspeers

Lil-Rokslider
Would you guys say most public land hunts require sleeping in the bush a few nights at a time? More or less? Probably unit dependent?

SM1

FNG
I would tell you to get in as good of physical shape as possible. If you think you’re in good shape, get in better shape with the right type of exercise. It will keep you in the hunt longer. Get your pack and put a bunch of miles on with it weighted down as part of that.

Put in for your draws, earn points and go hunt OTC and figure it out.
Definitely take Dad. But be diligent in your evaluation of his abilities. There are 65 year old men in here that can still haul out a elk. If dad is overweight, pot bellied and out of shape he can cook meals and manage camp. You don't have to back pack in 6+ miles to elk hunt. Had a legal Bull 150 yards of camp five of the nine days I hunted last year.

Go hunt. We all start from the bottom. We used to just go and figure it out. Now we have more info than ever and it’s still not enough. Plan a trip and get you and your dad a memory. Go luck.

Npike4040

FNG
About me: I’ve hunted my whole life in the Midwest,
25+ years. White tails archery/muzzleloader, waterfowl, turkey, coyote, everything possible. I have done some guided hunts for moose and bear in Canada.

I, of course, watch a ton of hunting videos of western hunting and do a lot of research. In the last couple of years I have started putting in for elk tags in a few western states. My strategy as of now is mostly acquiring points by putting into really good units with low non resident odds. Mainly rifle units as I’d rather get one in the bag with rifle before starting on archery.

And here’s the crux, I tend to think if I draw a good unit I could go out myself or likely my dad in his 60s would want to go. Is that unrealistic? With the right gear and general hunting knowledge in a good unit would I fair okay?
I was in the same boat last year. Went to a otc unit and was in elk everyday and had opportunity at a 300" bull. Also got lucky and drew a decent unit in N.M. and killed a 7x7 in first 5 minutes of the season. I used everything i knew about whitetails and applied it out west and had the time of my life! Get the best boots you can afford and get out there. Its not easy but definitely possible if you hunt smarter not harder. Dont believe everything you hear about otc units as i actually saw more sign and elk in otc than my good unit in N.M.

Scoot

WKR
Go. Get in better shape than you think you need to be in. Have boots that fit great (and stuff to deal with hot spots on your feet), a pack that can haul weight, and know your weapon well. Always know what the wind is doing and understand how thermals work. Work hard, have fun, enjoy the ride!

wardl_3

Lil-Rokslider
Workout, boots, pack… best quality lightweight gear u can afford. While ur buying points… go hunt otc tags.