Roof Damage Home Owners Insurance Question...

TSAMP

WKR
I’ve seen roofs leaking bad. I mean bad. Ruined the ceilings type bad. And I’ve never seen an insurance company pay for an entire roof. Not once. They pro rate it based on square footage.

Insurance adjusters love to cut the bid. It doesn’t matter if it was a $6500 roof or a $12,000 roof. They have never paid the full amount on any claim. And, they are often 6 weeks out on payment to the homeowner as well.

The insurance market is as cracked as anything I’ve ever experienced. And, it’s legal!
I've had two replaced fully. First time it was 12 years old, second was only 2 years old. Same house, different providers

Laramie

WKR
I’ve seen roofs leaking bad. I mean bad. Ruined the ceilings type bad. And I’ve never seen an insurance company pay for an entire roof. Not once. They pro rate it based on square footage.

Insurance adjusters love to cut the bid. It doesn’t matter if it was a $6500 roof or a $12,000 roof. They have never paid the full amount on any claim. And, they are often 6 weeks out on payment to the homeowner as well.

The insurance market is as cracked as anything I’ve ever experienced. And, it’s legal!
Here in the midwest they pay the full amount, minus deductible. All the roofs are new though and replaced every 2-3 years due to golf ball or larger hail.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
First roof was a local who I was on a first name basis with. He installed a shingle roof.
Ten years down the road, the shingles finally gave out. Between the heat, wind and hail, shingles just don't last here.
My b-i-l's neighbor was a known metal roofer. Had him install a metal roof.that was 12 years ago! All is well!
Only "problem"(?) with a metal roof!
If hail damage is only cosmetic, insurance companies WILL NOT replace the roof. The only way to have the roof replaced is if the integrity of the metal has been compromised.

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
First roof was a local who I was on a first name basis with. He installed a shingle roof.
Ten years down the road, the shingles finally gave out. Between the heat, wind and hail, shingles just don't last here.
My b-i-l's neighbor was a known metal roofer. Had him install a metal roof.that was 12 years ago! All is well!
Only "problem"(?) with a metal roof!
If hail damage is only cosmetic, insurance companies WILL NOT replace the roof. The only way to have the roof replaced is if the integrity of the metal has been compromised.
As a roofer in CO I try and get my client's into metal roofs. They cost about double as an asphalt but they will outlast them 4-5 times depending on hail but I would rather have a roof last longer then have to get a new asphalt roof every couple of years. More of an investment but way better material and lifespan.

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
These guys put letters in mailboxes around here with lots of hawker type language, such as "If you go with our roofing company we have an 82 percent chance of saving you up to 65 percent off your new roof given our extensive insurance industry experience."

I'm in the industry. Real roofing companies are too busy to do this.

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on where you’re located but that’s just another marketing tool. Our company alone has made millions of mailers. Works for some but doesn’t for others but that also depends on what you are sending in those mailers.

Do NOT call your insurance until you are sure you want to make a claim. Once they look at your roof that is all they will cover. If you have another event (ie hail or wind) it will be a second claim, and you will be on the hook for two deductibles for the same roof. Shop around for an "honest" roofer and do not pay them up front for anything and do not sign anything with anyone until your insurance tells you what they will pay and get an estimate that conforms to what is covered.