Ron's wife - when to worry?

Shrek

WKR
Ron's wife , please set up your own account. First , you're more than Ron's possession and second , it's confusing . I'm very happy to hear your written voice and you have plenty to contribute even if you never hunt. Your speaking up has probably sparked a bunch of needed conversations and helped guys be better husbands , sons , and boyfriends. Your questions are from the outside looking in and that's a view those on the inside can only imagine but not know.

Finch

WKR
Dear Ron's wife

Glad to here he checked in with you. I'll more than likely be doing a solo hunt next year and this post is a good reminder that I'll have to talk with the wife about her expectations of me checking in. I was thinking about going with a Sat phone since the SPOTs can be well, spotty.

sab

Lil-Rokslider
About five years ago, I had a similar situation happen while on a solo trip. I made contact about an hour after SAR was called to look for me, purely by coincidence. Fortunately, they were able to stand down without much wasted effort. After that I developed a plan that my wife and I follow:

1. Before I leave, I leave her with a long list of contact numbers: Local sheriff's office, local ranger office, local game and fish office, hunting partner(s)'s mobile numbers, hunting partner(s)'s wife's mobile and home phone numbers.
  2. When I'm on the trip, I carry a Delorme SPOT beacon (interfaces with my GPS unit). I send three messages a day - each time I eat a meal. This works quite well because I'm usually stationary long enough while eating for the message to transmit.
  3. Our rule is that if I fail to send three messages in a row, she should first call all hunting partner's mobile phones, then all hunting partner's wive's mobile or home phones, and finally the local sheriff's office, if she still has no information on my whereabouts.

This system has worked very well for us ever since that misfire five years ago. Having SAR called was very embarrassing, and that experience taught me a big lesson on the value of COMMUNICATION, which I should have already known, since my day job involves managing large civil engineering projects...

Hope this helps,
Scott

A few things for everyone who is new to this stuff to keep in mind when you think about reliability of messaging systems.

If you are sending information via a satellite you need to remember a few things:

1. You must have an unobstructed line of sight from your device to the satellite. If you don't, then the signal may not get through. Completely unobstructed really means a cloudless sky with no trees or buildings or terrain in the way. The more stuff between your device and the satellite the less chance you have of your signal/message getting through. That is why you may not be able to get a signal on your GPS in dense forest or if you are in a valley or in the middle of a pasture on a very overcast day.

2. The satellites are flying across the sky and may not be overhead when you send your message, so you need to keep your device powered up (SPOT users) and sending for at least five minutes, ten is better, to make sure that the satellite can "see" your device and receive the signal.

3. Stories of dropped calls on sat phones and cell phones that send through a satellite are normally not because the device failed but that the satellite has moved across the sky while you were talking and can't see/receive the signal anymore. T

4. The Iridium satellites use a relatively lower orbit and move across the sky, taking about 10-15 minutes to go from horizon to horizon (depending on terrain) and they are spaced about seven minutes apart. The Inmarsat satellites are at a much higher (geostationary) orbit and are essentially in the same location all the time. The geostationary nature of the Inmarsat satellites means that if the satellite can see you then you don't have to worry about dropped calls, but it also means that if you can't get a signal, due to something blocking, you have to move to a location where the satellite can see your device. With the non-geostationary satellites that Iridium your location does not pose as much of an obstacle to the satellite seeing your device but you do run the risk of a dropped call if you talk too long or make your call as the satellite starts to get close the horizon.

For these reasons my preferred equipment mix is a personal locator beacon (PRB) which once activated keeps broadcasting until you turn it off COMBINED WITH a satellite phone for voice and text messaging. Neither is dependent upon a cell phone signal so you only need to worry about the satellite being able to see you.

Larry

Prvrbs31

FNG
Ok Shrek, I'm my own person now.

Thanks for all the encouragement and advice. I see a Delorme InReach in our near future! Also, glad my worrying prompted some communication plans and conversations. We'll be having those each trip from here out.

Ok Shrek, I'm my own person now.

Thanks for all the encouragement and advice. I see a Delorme InReach in our near future! Also, glad my worrying prompted some communication plans and conversations. We'll be having those each trip from here out.

I love the name you chose!

FWIW, when I go on a solo hunt I leave my wife the following information:

-County
-Forest/wilderness area name
-Drainage(s)
-Trailhead or road(s) to be used
-General area of hunt
-Date and time I'll be out

I give myself a large buffer on time to be out in the event that I kill an animal on the last evening and need to get it out, assuming I have no cell signal where I'm at. I don't carry a SPOT or any type of messenger system. I am always well equipped with survival supplies and don't take silly risks. My wife is comfortable with this, but some of our friends think she and I are both crazy.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It's kind of funny with all the technology these days, yet I just got a voicemail on my cell phone that a buddy left for me a week ago while I was up hunting. How on earth does it take a week for a VM to get to my phone?

Prvrbs31

FNG
I love the name you chose!

FWIW, when I go on a solo hunt I leave my wife the following information:

-County
-Forest/wilderness area name
-Drainage(s)
-Trailhead or road(s) to be used
-General area of hunt
-Date and time I'll be out

I don't carry a SPOT or any type of messenger system. I am always well equipped with survival supplies and don't take silly risks. My wife is comfortable with this, but some of our friends think she and I are both crazy.

Ron left me most of the info you listed so I felt pretty comfortable. I think if we had talked about communication expectations beforehand, I wouldn't have worried so much. I don't think you and your wife are crazy at all. Ron and I talked about this last night and if it wasn't only his second year out there we probably both would've felt more confident without any kind of technology. That being said, I actually really enjoyed tracking where he was aside from safety reasons. It made me feel like more of a participant, and I enjoyed being able to ask more intelligent questions when he got back.

Ranger619

WKR
I feel like a tool! I was with Ron and I had a sat phone with me. We should have checked in with it, just to make sure everything was working with the Spot. Next time. Sorry!

Todd

Prvrbs31

FNG
No worries Todd! When I finally got a check in from him the next morning I knew everything was fine and his messages just weren't transmitting for some reason. I only endured a couple of panic attacks in the meantime ;) Lessons learned all around.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
You guys must be a relatively new couple. Dont worry after 10 years this will wear off and youll be enjoying the break from him. Isnt that how it works for most? Or am I the odd man out here? =-) Your a good woman. My wife wouldnt of come on here and posted. Really cool of you to do that. Glad your on the site now. I think Rokslide could use more wives on here.
Great people on this site. Have made some fantastic friends and have learned and keep learning all the time from it. Thats what Rokslide is all about. Hunters helping Hunters.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to Rokslide! I'm sorry you had to come here under these circumstances but certainly hope my wife would have such a level head to ask for help here before hitting the fire alarm. My wife would freak out if she had not heard from me for a day, so your response was tame and calculated. Good for you.

LazyV

Lil-Rokslider
You guys must be a relatively new couple. Dont worry after 10 years this will wear off and youll be enjoying the break from him. Isnt that how it works for most? Or am I the odd man out here? =-) Your a good woman. My wife wouldnt of come on here and posted. Really cool of you to do that. Glad your on the site now. I think Rokslide could use more wives on here.
Great people on this site. Have made some fantastic friends and have learned and keep learning all the time from it. Thats what Rokslide is all about. Hunters helping Hunters.

My wife and shtf's are on the same page. I tell her when I'll make contact again and she seems to enjoy the quiet time while I'm gone. I always leave a note with where I am, if I'm with somebody who, and the name of the people to call who know me enough to be able to find me given whatever in hunting for just in case. I made it home less then 12 hours this week before she asked when I was leaving again.

Prvrbs31

FNG
You guys must be a relatively new couple. Dont worry after 10 years this will wear off and youll be enjoying the break from him. Isnt that how it works for most? Or am I the odd man out here? =-)

Friends for 10 years, together for 8, married for 7. So far I still like him enough to want him around. Not to mention....at this stage of life the "break from him" means working full time while being a single mom to 3 kiddos, ages 6, 3 and 3 months. I'd rather have him here......lol.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Friends for 10 years, together for 8, married for 7. So far I still like him enough to want him around. Not to mention....at this stage of life the "break from him" means working full time while being a single mom to 3 kiddos, ages 6, 3 and 3 months. I'd rather have him here......lol.

Ha yep you have a tough but rewarding job. I'm fortunate my kids are all late teens and self sufficient. Good for you and we are glad to have you here on Rokslide.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Grateful to hear this had a happy ending, and welcome to Rokslide Prvrbs31! Sorry for your heartache while you waited to hear from Ron, but I thank you for reminding all of us how important it is to have established trip and communication plans. The manner and frequency of communication with spouse or other family varies with every individual, but I think it's crucial that everyone heading into the backcountry leave clear instructions regarding who they are with, at what point to worry if there is no communication, and where to look if they become overdue.

Certainly not knocking the Spot at all, but you have also highlighted an important reason why I prefer to carry a sat phone. Having two way communication ensures that you know your message was heard, whether in an emergency situation or just checking in.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you are a Proverbs 31 woman, he might just owe you a few more spa days........every month.;) Count your blessings, Ron. And welcome to Rokslide.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
I feel like a tool! I was with Ron and I had a sat phone with me. We should have checked in with it, just to make sure everything was working with the Spot. Next time. Sorry!

Todd

Todd, no worries buddy, I had no reason to believe they weren't going through either, never would've thought the low ceiling and cloud cover would prevent them from getting out.

If you are a Proverbs 31 woman, he might just owe you a few more spa days........every month.;) Count your blessings, Ron. And welcome to Rokslide.

I am indeed a lucky man, my wife completely embodies everything that makes a proverbs 31 kind of wife! I made sure she had a nice relaxing day getting a massage and a pedicure yesterday! :)