RokStok

Lawnboi

WKR
This one was 7.5 twist so they do do that. It’s not a full 1.2” shank it’s just a little above 1.115 or whatever tikka action faces are. The lite contour ace blank I got is a little bigger too, not quite as big as the pva though.
Iv had this issue with manners and McMillan.

I spec a 1.25 shank diameter even on tikkas. Some smiths won’t turn down blanks, that or carbon.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
PVA doesn't have a contour spec last I looked. Factory Tikka shank measures 1.125", the PVA 750 taperless measured 1.165"ish. This is just with calipers. I took the PVA barrel off and put my other one back on after seeing the contact and not having anything on hand to quickly open it up so dont have pictures. Not difficult to address at home but IMO stocky's should open up the channels in this location more.
To be honest imho this is on PVA and not any given stock maker. PVA deviated from the Tikka shank diameter. If stock makers made this area oversized “just in case” a barrel maker exceeded the stock size from the manufacturer there would probably be more people bitching the stock is “sloppy”. Seems like either PVA needs to fall in line or someone ordering a PVA needs to realize they need to sand the stock for the out of spec barrel. The tail doesn’t wag the dog and this specific thing isn’t on stockys imho.

ljalberta

WKR
Aren’t the Rokstok’s in Sendero contour for a Proof Sendero? I could be wrong but aren’t they a larger shank in general?

This is the Tikka prefit correct? I think the standard Proof Sendero is like a 1.2 or something.

Yes. You are correct that the standard proof sendero contour is larger like most common contours. 1.2 and 1.25 is the majority of aftermarket blank contours.

PVA doesn't have a contour spec last I looked. Factory Tikka shank measures 1.125", the PVA 750 taperless measured 1.165"ish. This is just with calipers. I took the PVA barrel off and put my other one back on after seeing the contact and not having anything on hand to quickly open it up so dont have pictures. Not difficult to address at home but IMO stocky's should open up the channels in this location more.

PVA does have a contour spec sheet for about half of their offered contours on their website. They specify a shank diameter of 1.165" for shouldered Tikka prefits and 1.00" for barrel-nut Tikka prefits.

https://patriotvalleyarms.com/barrel-contours/

So is a 1.2 too big for a Tikka action?

Depends what is meant by "too big". A 1.2" shank would still function fine. Tikka actions have a chamfered face so a barrel tennon shoulder above 1.125" is larger than the dimension it shoulders to on the face of a tikka. It just results in a little ridge where the barrel shank is larger than the face of the action. Basically the only downsides are the aesthetics, a little extra weight, and possible contact with an inlet set for a factory Tikka shank.

I've had gunsmiths turn down the shank on other sporter blanks when chambering for a tikka and it has been a non-issue.

It seems the ACE tikka lite contour blanks are set at 1.13" and they have a very small ridge.

Last edited:

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
Depends what is meant by "too big". A 1.2" shank could still function fine. Tikka actions have a chamfered face so a barrel tennon shoulder above 1.125" is larger than the dimension it shoulders to on the face of a tikka. It just results in a little ridge where the barrel shank is larger than the face of the action. Basically the only downsides are the aesthetics, a little extra weight, and possible contact with an inlet set for a factory Tikka shank.

I've had gunsmiths turn down the shank on other sporter blanks when chambering for a tikka and it has been a non-issue.

It seems the ACE tikka lite contour blanks are set at 1.13" and they have a very small ridge.
Thanks for the info! I sent a Bartlein CF barrel to Unkown so they could build a 7PRC with a Tikka action. Waiting on a Rokstok at this point. My barrel has a 1.2 shank. I didn't realize that it's bigger in diameter than the Tikka action when I started this process. Do you know if this is something that could be machined down to match the action?

Thanks for the info! I sent a Bartlein CF barrel to Unkown so they could build a 7PRC with a Tikka action. Waiting on a Rokstok at this point. My barrel has a 1.2 shank. I didn't realize that it's bigger in diameter than the Tikka action when I started this process. Do you know if this is something that could be machined down to match the action?
You'd have to ask UM but kind of doubt it because I think the carbon comes up to full shank diameter. Before the tikka prefit market took off it wasn't that uncommon to have the chamfer machined off to have a square 1.2" face on tikkas to more shoulder engagement/diameter. I have one tikka done up that way.

Note bartlein makes smaller shanked blanks specifically for tikkas
1722270443199.png

Sorry for tennon talk hijack.. maybe should have made a separate thread.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Plain carbon, no scallop, 3b tikka inlet delivered today, July 29th, 2024. First day order.

In looking it over and putting it on my rifle, the finish is fine.

It's definitely different. I'm still trying to decide if I like it after shooting about 40rds this afternoon.

Plain carbon, no scallop, 3b tikka inlet delivered today, July 29th, 2024. First day order.

In looking it over and putting it on my rifle, the finish is fine.

It's definitely different. I'm still trying to decide if I like it after shooting about 40rds this afternoon.
If you end up not liking it and want to sell it for what you put into it, please let me know

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Ok for some context on my rokstok journey. I got it today, so I did what any responsible person would do, I went and shot it.

20240729_164151.jpg

The above group is what I got after adjusting my zero. Note, I did not make any adjustments to the windage. This is not the usual for this rifle....this is.....
Screenshot_20240608_174556_Chrome.jpg
I knew something was wrong. I took it out of the stock and remounted it. Again I was getting weird flyers. So I took it out again and examined the inlet. Everything looked fine, but in comparing my old stockys vg to the rokstok it looked as if the recoil lug was higher on the rokstok (which came with a nice mountain tactical). So I swapped the MT lug for a factory tikka and went back to the range....

20240729_193244.jpg
And proceeded to shoot this 10rd group with factory 6 creed 108eldm. I don't know if swapping lugs had anything to do with the issue or maybe I just actually got it seated properly. But I'm pretty happy now. I blame @Formidilosus because if my rifle isn't zeroed, i cant sleep well at night. The grip and trigger reach are the best features so far with the rokstok.
20240729_193428.jpg

Last edited:
I'll just say it, LE Green is too hard to do, yet we are gonna put up pics of the wood version that will be even harder to complete?

Gold RS was canceled, green is trying to be replaced.

I know this has been difficult, and I feel like I have been really patient, being a 10% and all. Just waiting, but seeing some sort of teaser Pic for something that will be even harder to make happen just doesn't sit well with me.

I'm just getting to a point that I want what I ordered, I never thought I'd see it in the 90 days, didn't expect to. I'm thinking I won't see it in 360 days.

I get the feeling I'm one of those customers you are really just waiting on the call that they cancel.