Rokstok vs HNT 26: A Hike & Shoot Review

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
When out shooting rocks or hiking in steel, does anyone worry about sparking a fire?

I found a great spot to shoot out to distance, across canyons, steep angles, etc, on BLM, but I'm curious about the possible fire hazards.

@Formidilosus , @B_Reynolds_AK , @Ryan Avery
Not much of an issue in AK. But yes, bullets can start fires and I have personally put out some fires started by bullets in military training areas, so can say with certainty it is not just theory.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
When out shooting rocks or hiking in steel, does anyone worry about sparking a fire?

I found a great spot to shoot out to distance, across canyons, steep angles, etc, on BLM, but I'm curious about the possible fire hazards.

@Formidilosus , @B_Reynolds_AK , @Ryan Avery
This is something that is def possible in theory.

I owned a ranch in northern California, in an area that is notorious for very large grass fires. We kept the grass low by running cattle and goats but it’s still brown dry grass for 8 months out of the year.

We would shoot paper targets and steel most days, meaning that we’d shoot more days than we didn’t shoot. In 10 years of shooting on that property and other very large acreage in the same area, we never once had a fire start due to shooting. The amount of bullets shot at paper and steel targets, I wouldn’t even be able to guess the number. It’s an insane amount.

We would carry fire extinguishers in side by sides and vehicles but with that dry grass and wind it likely wouldn’t have helped. Also, a lot of days I was out on foot with my pack and a rifle so wouldn’t carry an extinguisher on those days.

Long story short, in one of the most fire prone areas in the country, shooting 100s of thousands of bullets, we never once had a single issue with fires.

Maybe we got extremely lucky or maybe it’s rare for a bullet striking the ground or a steel target to cause a fire. I couldn’t tell you sorry.

These days in Arizona where I do most my shooting days I have a fire extinguisher in my vehicles. When I pack in to scout and shoot I do not carry one.

Zork

FNG
We had 3 fires started at an informal shooting area near me in the past 2 years. At the formal range I've had to pour water on multiple smoldering targets too. It's more than theory.

Marty

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome picture and feedback. Currently finishing up an XLR element build to do this very thing in the Delta Junction area 1st week of August. Contemplating a Rokstok so the comparison is helpful. I liked the flexibility of the XLR over the HNT26 but the magnesium getting cold is the biggest downside. I got some Talon Grip pads on Amazon to try to address this, just haven't tackled that yet.
I threw some of these, cut to the size I preferred, to help with that cold feel on the XLR:

Khaosoi

FNG
I arranged a Hike & Shoot with fellow Rokslider’s @Marty and @Marbles in the local mountains yesterday.

View attachment 735941

With their families in tow, we started hiking into the Alpine to my favorite long range shooting area.

View attachment 735942

View attachment 735943

The wind was ripping. 12-20 mph with gusts to 30. We engaged steel plates at 450-1000+

Marbles with his .243 Tikka Rokstok/AB Raptor 8

Marty with his 7 PRC Element 4.0 /Banish Backcountry

and I with my 6 CM HNT 26 / Scythe-Ti

View attachment 735948View attachment 735949

The Rokstok is beautiful in person, in a functional Rokslider type of way.
We all swapped rifles multiple times and shot in a large variety of field positions for a total of appx 150 rounds.

View attachment 735955View attachment 735956

Example below of where the HNT 26 on a tripod can be used to build a very good shooting position in difficult terrain. Multiple first round hits were fired from here at 750-850 yards.
View attachment 735959View attachment 735957View attachment 735958

The natural feel of the Rokstok is very good. I’ve always loved the Clymr and this is just that much better. The length of pull is just fine for my 5’6” shorter stature and reach. This is something I was concerned about. Non issue like @Formidilosus said.

The negative come feels nice, but with such a light recoiling cartridge, I’m not sure I really felt like it was making a difference in spotting my shots compared to the HNT 26.

A 40 lb 6 yr old girl and a 10 ft lb recoiling gun in the Rokstok.

My 8 lb 6 CM, including Scythe-Ti. Barnes 112 Match Burner’s going 2950 fps from the 18” barrel.

This Rokstok had the Pic/Spartan fore end. I attached it to my RRS tripod for a number of shots. Being so far out towards the muzzle, it was a bit of a reach to control the head.

My Takeaway’s:

For the hunting I do, the HNT 26 wins out over the Rokstok in 2 key areas:

Many of the positions I shoot from, and have killed sheep in ( 8 now) , are made possible by the use of a tripod set up in terrain that would make it very difficult or even impossible without one. Ie. Shooting away from a steep slope. The full length Arca fore end on the HNT 26 is fantastic for this.

The folding ability of the stock is very useful for having it strapped to the pack while bushwhacking in Alaskan brush, alders and deadfall. IYKYK

Suppressors:
Scythe-Ti was the clear winner in sound suppression.

Banish Backcountry on the 7 PRC is good, but with all that extra powder, was the loudest.

AB Raptor 8 7.62 was very good, just a bit louder than the Scythe on both the 243 and 6 CM.

My AB Raptor 8 .375 was still hearing safe when tried on both smaller guns, but had a louder pop and even some muzzle flash out the end. It’s ridiculously quiet on my 9mm MP5k though. On the 338 Fed, which wasn’t here this time, it’s probably the best lightweight option available.

Thanks @Marbles and @Marty
for a great evening. Marbles, his 6 y/o daughter and I camped out there.
Our respective DCF shelters shook violently through the night as the wind gusted to 40+.
We hiked out in heavy rain this morning.
Exactly the stocks/chassis I'm considering as I'm wanting to ditch the stock tikka stock this winter after hunting season. I do like the feel of a more traditional stock but I've had been leaning to the chassis option because the compact ness of the folder and the arca doesn't hurt either... pricey though!

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Exactly the stocks/chassis I'm considering as I'm wanting to ditch the stock tikka stock this winter after hunting season. I do like the feel of a more traditional stock but I've had been leaning to the chassis option because the compact ness of the folder and the arca doesn't hurt either... pricey though!
Remember the single most important advantage of almost any stock over almost all chassis: the ability to place your thumb optimally for recoil control (in line with the tang) without introducing torque and while still having easy access to cycle the bolt. Everything else is a compromise - which may or may not be worth making depending on what's important to you.

-J

Khaosoi

FNG
Remember the single most important advantage of almost any stock over almost all chassis: the ability to place your thumb optimally for recoil control (in line with the tang) without introducing torque and while still having easy access to cycle the bolt. Everything else is a compromise - which may or may not be worth making depending on what's important to you.

-J
Thanks J, I haven't thought about that in terms of the ergonomics. I don't too have much experience on a chassis, especially with these lighter weight HNT26 and Element 4. I've put some round through a friends' bench gun which felt very good for my body, but haven't had any real time in the field with one. At least they have good resale value if I end up not enjoying it.

In general my adventures and hunts tend to be more on grueling masochistic side so the benefits of a lightweight folder make a lot of sense. I suppose there isn't anything that is completely perfect... if only a stock existed that was as light and has a folder. The other things that are appealing is that the chassis don't require bedding and come with all the modern attachment options, certainly not deal breakers but if you could have all those features with the ergonomics of a stock, sign me up!

Reactions: NSI