Rokstok review thread

ElPollo

WKR
All of the Stockys stocks I’ve held have a thin, cheap feel at the buttstock material in comparison to AG, Peak 44 and others. How does the Rokstok compare?
I have a Stocky’s VG Hunter stock and a Peak 44 Blacktooth and I have not had your experience. The VG Hunter shell is much thicker and stiffer than the Peak 44. The inletting is better and the forend is stiffer. I would have no reservations about the quality of a RokStok.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Are the buttstocks hollow or are they filled? Stocky’s are hollow and are a bit “rattley” sounding. I don’t care but I could see where one might describe it as a bit “cheap” sounding.
They are filled with a light weigh foam, looks like it was used to blow the shell to the mold contours as it adheres to the shell and is somewhat hard like a spray foam.

Shell is something between 1/8 and 1/4 inch thick, I did not measure.

I don't have a picture that shows the foam, but this is how I know.
20240521_202456.jpg

They said on the podcast they switched foam to something that would sound a little less hollow at the cost of a few ounces extra weight

I was concerned about this since I climb in metal tree climbers and don’t want anything panging off the tubes as I climb. It’s totally fine and sounds quite solid. Not quite as solid/dense as my eh1 but that tracks since it’s 7.5 ounces lighter

Overwire

FNG
A few impressions from installing the action. I received 2 RokStoks on Monday. 1 sendero contour and 1 3b contour. I’ve only installed the sendero so far onto a T3 with proof sendero prefit.

Both stocks are right at 30oz with rails, recoil lug and butt pad.

IMG_5568.jpeg

IMG_5569.jpeg

Compared to a factory T3x stock at 28oz with recoil lug, butt pad and butt foam (1oz).

IMG_5570.jpeg

The RokStok is 28.5 oz without the rail and 26oz no rail and no butt pad.

IMG_5571.jpeg

The barrel channel on the sendero contour is way too tight on a proof sendero. I expected this based design clearances Stockys posted previously. The barrel channels are simply designed way too tight if using the size barrel that matches the naming.

IMG_5573.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5571.jpeg
    IMG_5571.jpeg
    293.8 KB · Views: 39

Overwire

FNG
Another pic of the tight barrel channel:

IMG_5574.jpeg

Went to town on it with a socket wrapped in sand paper and a dremel. Much better now.

IMG_5586.jpeg

IMG_5589.jpeg

The fore end flush cup does break into the barrel channel. It was like that from UM but more so after opening the channel. Not a big deal but they should probably install it a little lower to prevent that.

The Xlr is a pretty decent chassis. Here is my opinion on the pros and cons that I’ve come to now. My hunting strategy has changed from always trying the set up and shoot off a bipod to shooting in any field condition quicker now.
Pros:
-Folding stock for packing in and out but it is a wide footprint folded
-lightweight and durable.
-solid action connection and barrel clearance
-built in full length arca (not useful for me anymore)

Cons-
- freezing cold in the winter and hot in the summer
- the buttstock with the bag rider hangs up on lots of things while carrying
- I cannot cycle the bolt as fast
- under stress I grip the handgrip, unstressed I keep my thumb to the side
- tikka magazine selection sucks
-even with the bag rider there is not much for rear rest support.

You can adjust the comb pretty decent but I have built larger diameter washers to hold the comb from being pushed down easily. If you want to raise the buttpad to be above bore I would order a shorter custom stock from smoke that is shorter to account for a raised additional plate that the buttpad can attach to. I have a mdt folder on one of mine and the lop is just a little to long on that one with the 12 1/2 smoke buttstock. If you put an adapter on that one to raise the buttpad it would definitely have to long of lop for me.

I have 3 of them and won’t sell them. I just won’t bring them on most of my hunts anymore. Depending on how you hunt they can be great! I just feel I shoot the rokstok better already and more repeatable from different positions. With a rokstok, 20” barrel and a 6” can in a stone glacier gun bearer I feel it’s acceptable for me to pack in with and not be sticking way high or to low on my pack.
Amazing, thanks for this info. I was thinking I'd go with one of the two non-carbon stocks, TR2 or C6 IIRC. To get the recoil pad adjustability--the short 12.5 LOP version of either of those. Definitely a weight penalty though.

Really hadn't thought about the "width" issue when the stock is folded. I could see that being an issue.

Overwire

FNG
The recoil lug on both my stocks was proud .102” into the action inlet. The recoil lug slot on my T3 action is .095” so the recoil lug would have prevented the action from fully seating on the inlet. I emailed unknown and they confirmed the lug should protrude .095”. Good excuse to fire up the bridgeport. I milled .008” off the lug. Not sure if it would have made any difference but I want the clamping stress distributed across as much surface area on the action as possible, not concentrated at the lug.

IMG_5584.jpeg

Action inletting seems very good but I of course can’t really tell how well the bottom of the action is contacting the inlet other than what is visible.

The heal is cut at a slight angle that is opposite from a factory stock. The RokStok angle gives a bit better fit to the shoulder when prone but theoretically could increase muzzle rise compared to a perpendicular angle or the factory angle. I don’t think it really matters in practice as the soft pad, muscle, clothing and shoulder shape prevent a truly perpendicular reaction force but just something I noticed. This would be minor compared to butt pad height anyway.

IMG_5582.jpeg

IMG_5583.jpeg
The butt pad is pretty decent for 1/2” but its too bad they don’t use a standard profile so a 1” airtech could be fitted. I’ll figure something out as I could use a little more LOP anyway. I’m also going to figure out an ARCA/Spartan rail. I modeled one up and quoted it but cost is a bit too much. I’ll probably make a Spartan insert to key into the SRS ARCA rail.

I’ll give some use impressions once I shoot it. I plan to compare my 9lb 6.5 PRC in the RokStok (147s at 2940fps) to my 7lb 6.5cm in a wildcat (factory replica) shooting 147s at 2780fps. With the factory stock on the PRC recoil behavior between those two rifles feels identical to me.

ljalberta

WKR
Another pic of the tight barrel channel:

View attachment 715169

Went to town on it with a socket wrapped in sand paper and a dremel. Much better now.

View attachment 715170

View attachment 715171

The fore end flush cup does break into the barrel channel. It was like that from UM but more so after opening the channel. Not a big deal but they should probably install it a little lower to prevent that.
Thanks for the information. I have a sender contour coming. So I may ask for an adjustment on the flush cup install. Seems like making a wide barrel clearance and then having the cup right there so close is not ideal.

Overwire

FNG
Thanks for the information. I have a sender contour coming. So I may ask for an adjustment on the flush cup install. Seems like making a wide barrel clearance and then having the cup right there so close is not ideal.
It just barely breaks into the barrel channel as supplied, not a big deal at all. If you need to open the channel up, for instance if actually trying to fit a proof sendero contour, then you just need to grind down the corner of the flush cup a bit. I didn’t break through to the ID of the flush cup when I did mine.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved

Overwire

FNG
Limbsaver Airtech 10809 fits pretty good. Could probably be perfect with a little epoxy and sanding but good enough as is I probably will just leave it as-is. I did need to drill new mounting holes in the pad and mill off a raised lip. Could be accomplished with sand paper and a hand drill. Added about 1oz.

IMG_5595.jpeg

IMG_5598.jpeg

I’ve got a spartan gunsmith adapter in the mail. I should be able to simply bore a .75” hole through my pic/arca rail and install it into the stock, so I will have arca/pic/spartan.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Another from the big thread.
Limbsaver Airtech 10809 fits pretty good. Could probably be perfect with a little epoxy and sanding but good enough as is I probably will just leave it as-is. I did need to drill new mounting holes in the pad and mill off a raised lip. Could be accomplished with sand paper and a hand drill. Added about 1oz.

View attachment 715616

View attachment 715617

I’ve got a spartan gunsmith adapter in the mail. I should be able to simply bore a .75” hole through my pic/arca rail and install it into the stock, so I will have arca/pic/spartan.

View attachment 715616

View attachment 715617

How much different was LOP. Did it add half or quarter inch

03mossy

WKR
I got to shoot mine today. Put 60 rounds through it. I had gotten new rings also so had to sight in. After that I shot from a bunch of different positions. This stock just plain works in every position. With the 30-06 i do loose sight picture but only for a split second. I also was shooting my son’s stock Tikka compact in 7-08 and the muzzle rise was very similar.

Last 3 shots I tested out my new “12 bear gong and then weighed it out of curiosity.

IMG_8690.jpegIMG_8689.jpeg

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Got out and shot it today, it certainly feels better. Without a suppressor I can easily keep the target in the FOV of a fixed 6x scope at 100 yards using a bare muzzle 308 loaded with 178 gr bullets. I had intended to get more video (I shot fifty 308 rounds), but I though I would be cool and use the video with my shooters global shot timer, somehow I did not capture any video and only realized it when I had 5 rounds left.

Seated unsupported with the 308 I scoped myself with the factory stock, not horrible, but enough to draw a very slight amount of blood from my glasses hitting my face.

Switching back to back, the first shot with the Rokstok after using the factory stock feels significantly better.

No pictures of the targets because the scopes were sighted for the suppressor and the POI shift was enough that some shots completely missed the target.

Last edited: