Rokslide Waterfowlers?

Poser

WKR
I wouldn't say I'm very passionate about it, but I do enjoy it. I live in a waterfowl rich area of the MS flyway -lots of big rivers and lots of flooded timber, but I don't have a boat, or a dog.... nor do I own decoys or even a duck call. I have a couple of places I go and setup and kill them as they are coming in. I usually end up with some Wood Ducks, Mergansers, Shovelers and Canadian Geese. I enjoy eating waterfowl, but its a lot of work to get them all waxed up and plucked out. I have a suburban lake that I hunt on that I could probably limit out on geese everday of the season if I wanted to. I usually only kill a couple and will roast one whole and primarily cook the others down for fat. Goose fart is amazing.

2014-01-25 13.01.12.jpg
Waxing, dunking, and plucking geese.

robertcn

FNG
I started waterfowl hunting 8 years ago. I enjoy every second of it.

My typical Ca refuge hunting set ups:
(Idea is to go light, set up in one area and move to another quickly if need too.)

Some hunting pics:

Hoping this winter to get some opportunities in my new state: New Mexico, but still plan to visit California to see family and go hunting with friends.

Last edited:
I love me some duck hunting! It used to be my top priority but since I've gotten into long range shooting I've become a bit obsessed with that. Can't compete with what mark has got going on but my boat is my primary set up and has been working well for us.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 48

IanF.

Lil-Rokslider
It's been the focus of my life for as long as I can remember, big game are calling me more now with awesome draws for elk and sheep in my pocket this year!

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
While we are on the theme.... Whats your go to bird gun? What is the bird gun you wish you had?

Winchester sx3 is what I shoot, dream gun ......sx3! I love this shotgun. Ive not had any issues with it, its light, shoots soft, shoots fast, no messing with gas adjustments just feed the beast. Best shotgun ever.

Hoot

WKR
Here's a few more photos from the archives...
7emydupy.jpg

pa2y5ezu.jpg

seruraja.jpg

gyzu7era.jpg

ge4ura5e.jpg

y7ybypyj.jpg

ezy6edep.jpg

If you've never been to Saskatchewan on a waterfowl hunt, I'd highly suggest it, you could go every year 10 years in a row for less than what a single Canadian big game hunt will cost you...

I shoot a super black eagle, I have 2 with thousands and thousands of rounds through them and they've never let me down...

focker34

Lil-Rokslider
Right now I shoot a Remington 870 supermag. I'm eyeballling their sa VersaMax though. Think I might make the switch here soon.

Sooner

Lil-Rokslider
One of the best parts about living in the central flyway.
gevu9ata.jpg

We have huge lakes to hunt
abe9egah.jpg

And small flooded timber places
jybubeju.jpg

My new shotgun my wife bought me this spring.
6emu8yzu.jpg

And sometimes you just gotta take the O/U for a walk.
y5umupu7.jpg

I love duck hunting. To me there is nothing better.

Last edited:

c5mrr270

WKR
Now that I'm back in California, I'll definitely be doing a lot more waterfowling. Gonna have to get a refuge rig ready to go this year.

209hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Now that I'm back in California, I'll definitely be doing a lot more waterfowling. Gonna have to get a refuge rig ready to go this year.

Hopefully we get enough water to hunt the refuges this season lol Im shooting a Franchi 912 right now which I really like but I shouldered the new Browning A5 and fell in love.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm shooting a Franchi 720 and love it. Those little yellow shells will put a hurting on ducks.

11261069343_28307a966d_c.jpg

11142002563_a54ab43899_c.jpg

10662436673_79dbebde3a_c.jpg

9858456303_c35c600fcc_c.jpg

8344202708_5c3ae36a35_c.jpg

8234957959_9ba9a1b4f1_c.jpg
Nice looking dog! I once had a GSP that we loved to death. She was a halfway decent retriever in her own right. Is that a wirehaired pointer? I have a kiddo that is really allergic to dogs so we have been debating a Pudelpointer for a while now.

JWP58

WKR
Nice looking dog! I once had a GSP that we loved to death. She was a halfway decent retriever in her own right. Is that a wirehaired pointer? I have a kiddo that is really allergic to dogs so we have been debating a Pudelpointer for a while now.

Looks like a French Brittany to me, or another Spaniel breed...

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like a French Brittany to me, or another Spaniel breed...
Nice. I don't see many hunting dogs here in AK. Just a lot of sled dogs and labs. LOL Sure are a lot of different types out there. ;)

cody6510

Lil-Rokslider
Some awesome photos here. I'm counting down the days to Sept 1 and early season goose.