Rokslide Trade/Rent/Loan Program?

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
I was reading a post on another forum about “Optics Rental” yesterday. I had seen some sites before that rented gear and have recommended to guys just starting out or for special and uncommon hunts. It got me to thinking about the mountains of gear allot of us sit on which goes unused for the vast majority of the year. Guys like myself that have invested thousands of dollars into gear but only use them a few weeks a year due to family and work commitments. Guys that are just not going to use a piece of gear. Guys that have 2 of everything etc…

On another site(maybe multiple sites) there was a guy…handle=the elk reaper :)who would do a pure trade thread which was tremendously popular. That is a good idea for rokslide but not exactly what I am thinking of here. I envision guys posting gear looking for use of another guy’s gear, wanting rental $ or simply just loaning gear to guys in need. The flip side would be guys in need of gear posting what they need and offering temp trades, cash or wanting a temp loan of said gear.

To be honest I am not convinced this is a great idea in practice. There are so many small things that could blow deals up and potentially sour the site. I think it would be a good discussion though.

Of all the sites I visit I think Rokslide would fit this type of program the best. This site and posting members just feels honest and pure to me. My wife thinks I’m a sucker because I ship stuff to guys, let them look it over and evaluate it and tell them to send me a check if you like it and if not, just ship it back. I contend that any guy that regularly posts would do just about anything in his power to assure a deal goes good, not just because he has good character but for fear of being kicked off the site.

So I’ll start it off.

WTL or T (Want To Loan or Trade): Nikon ED50 straight body 13-30 eye piece and Tripod

I have a Nikon ED50 straight body Spotting scope with 13-30 eye piece, in perfect condition, for loan. I also have a Cullmann Nanomax 250 with pan head if a tripod is needed.
Willing to loan for duration of a single hunt. You pay insured Shipping both ways. You should be willing to reimburse or replace should you significantly damage the scope during your hunt.
All I ask in return is detailed information on your hunt should it be a Species, State, Unit I am interested in hunting myself.

With no backpack hunts likely in 2014 this scope will likely sit with very little use. I got such a good deal on this little guy I am not willing to sell.

PM me if interested

Danny

Last edited:

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I did this last year and loaned out my kifaru 4man to a rokslide member that had a sawtooth on order but it wasnt going to arrive in time for his hunt. Was happy to jump in and assist. Sent him the 4man and he sent me 50 $ paypal just for the loaner tipi. I didnt ask for the cash but was cool he did that. Id never met craig but I could tell from his posts he is a great guy and hunter. They used it for 10 days and got it back without issue in the same shape I sent it to him...minus a stake that broke but thats trivial. I had extras. Was a great expierence and I enjoyed helping him and his brother out to have a comfortable hunt.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
On another site(maybe multiple sites) there was a guy…handle=the elk reaper who would do a pure trade thread which was tremendously popular. That is a good idea for rokslide but not exactly what I am thinking of here. I envision guys posting gear looking for use of another guy’s gear, wanting rental $ or simply just loaning gear to guys in need. The flip side would be guys in need of gear posting what they need and offering temp trades, cash or wanting a temp loan of said gear.

By the way fyi elk reaper is aron snyder owner of rokslide. If you dont know aron.. make it a point. He will bend over backwards to help anyone out. Same with all the prostaff here on rokslide. Keep it real with them and you cant even imagine the rewards and friendships you will form with the rokslide staff.

LOL... yeah, who is this Elk Reaper dude? Was he the guy who had the backcountry kidney stones thread :)

OP
drthornton

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
By the way fyi elk reaper is aron snyder owner of rokslide. If you dont know aron.. make it a point. He will bend over backwards to help anyone out. Same with all the prostaff here on rokslide. Keep it real with them and you cant even imagine the rewards and friendships you will form with the rokslide staff.

Ha...I know. I meant it as a joke and meant to put a smiley face in there but it got lost in my edit.

Thank you though...I'll put it in.

OP
drthornton

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
LOL... yeah, who is this Elk Reaper dude? Was he the guy who had the backcountry kidney stones thread :)

Yeah I remember that story...I think of it whenever someone starts talking about Kidney Stones and hope to never have them.

colonel00

WKR
I like the idea. How do you think it would best be managed? It would almost need it's own forum similar to the classifieds as stuff will just get buried and lost in a single thread.

Poser

WKR
Just a suggestion. If you look at, say AirB&B, where you may be staying in someone's house, they'll often want to take a look at your FB page to "screen" you in someway. Not that is a sureshot, of course, but it would give you a reasonably personable look over a stranger before sending them $$ gear to borrow.

boom

WKR
in another forum. they tried to do something simple.

they passed around a glass friction call (actually two of them) so everyone can use it to kill a turkey, post a pic with call, and send it on..it was really going along pretty well, until the calls just stopped going around..both of them disappeared. it would be brutal to pass around..say a pair of Leica binoculars..

sorry, color me a skeptic.

littlebuf

Banned
i could use a torque screwdriver in inch pounds here in a couple weeks when i buy my rings and bases for my new scope if someone wanted to let me borrow one. a decent one is like 80 bucks and ill use it maybe once every 5 years if that. my torque wrench only goes down to 25 inch pounds.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
i could use a torque screwdriver in inch pounds here in a couple weeks when i buy my rings and bases for my new scope if someone wanted to let me borrow one. a decent one is like 80 bucks and ill use it maybe once every 5 years if that. my torque wrench only goes down to 25 inch pounds.

Most auto parts store will loan you one for a deposit that gets returned when you return the took.

if aron wants to let me borrow a nomad from now til the end of the year i would be cool with that,,,, jk but in all seriousness i think this could be a good idea as long as everyone does their part to make it work!