"Rokslide Special" Tikka 300 WSM

I've posted a few questions leading up to this thread. I've had the rifle on hand for about a month now and have completed load development and initial trajectory validation.
Specs:
-Tikka T3 Lite 300 WSM. $570 from Euro Optic
-Manners EHT. Was $520. Had it on another rifle, it's been mothballed for a couple of years. I modified it for my LOP, added a Sims pad, and flush cups. Bedded as well.
-SWFA 12x Mil/Mil scope. Not my first choice for an all around hunting rifle, but I'm pinching pennies on this build and I had it laying around.
-Sportsmatch T084 rings
-Norma brass. Got it from a friend, all once fired from Christensen Arms. Have had `150 pieces laying around prepped and primed for 4 years.
-Hornady 208 ELD M
-RL 23
-I think CCI 250 primers. Might be 200s, I'm going to pop one out and check.

Still to add:
-LivetoHuntID mini ARCA rail
-Lumley arms bolt handle
-Maybe thread and a brake. Recoil isn't unpleasant, but I can't spot my own hits. Not ideal for solo hunts.
-Extended short mag magazine. I'm going to play around with a CF nylon 3d print of my own, if that doesn't pan out I'll order an HCA.

Initial load development went well. I got to 68 grains of RL23 pretty easily. Light ejector mark, but nothing crazy. 66 and 68.2 shot well, so I loaded up more and went to 1K. That's where things went haywire. I was using a pic rail and Leupold PRW rings (again, just had them laying around). After 60 rounds chasing my tail and re-mounting the scope, I decided to swap mounts and maybe scopes. I was able to get Sportsmatch rings from a member here, and the issue was resolved. Very solid mounts and dropped close to 4 oz as well. With the same SWFA optic, I did a test at 3.060 (.005 off lans), 3.040, and 3.020 COAL w/68.2 grains of powder. 3.020 was a clear winner, I can cover the 5 shot group with a quarter. I'll take a pic of the 1k plate tomorrow, but I'm very happy with it. 1 MOA or so at 940 in bad Wyoming winds for 10 shots. My data is spot on using AB's custom profile for this bullet at 2958 fps...That was my target velocity, but I figured 2850 was more realistic. Very happy with that. Not chrony data, but I'm making hits with what I have.
Pic of the bullets and rounds show what the Tikka throat is like. Left is a 178 ELD X loaded to mag length. Right is the 208 ELD M, at 3.020 COAL I'm about .045 off the lans. The boat tails and bearing surfaces are nearly identical between the two. If I were going all out, I'd cut the throat out about .200" to get the bullet out where it belongs, but this is a budget build and I'm getting great results. I'll take some pics of the rifle and 1k plate tomorrow.

Next Steps:
Trajectory validation from 300-1500
Positional field shooting off tripod when the ARCA rail gets here
Wind practice in field conditions
Terminal test at 1500

Attachments

• KIMG1190.JPG
    KIMG1190.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 150
  • KIMG1189.JPG
    KIMG1189.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 175
  • KIMG1197.JPG
    KIMG1197.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 175
I picked up a SL 300 shorty a few months back. Also bought a Hells Canyon magazine and ground down the bolt stop. Topped it with a Bushy LRTS from Doug. Had it in mind that I’d either try running 180 or 205 Bergers but Covid and season is creeping up. Luckily the 185 federal Berger offering shoots sub moa out to 500(as far as I’ve had time to verify).

Probably run those under the end of the season, order some more brass and some 205s and do load dev in the offseason.

edit: I'm not sure how only half of my post went through? Anyway, those are some nice groups - it looks like you've got her dialed in nice. How are you liking the manners vs the Tikka stock?

Last edited:
OP
PathFinder
I picked up a SL 300 shorty a few months back. Also bought a Hells Canyon magazine and ground down the bolt stop. Topped it with a Bushy LRTS from Doug. Had it in mind that I’d either try running 180 or 205 Bergers but Covid and season is creeping up. Luckily the 185 federal Berger offering shoots sub moa out to 500(as far as I’ve had time to verify).

Probably run those under the end of the season, order some more brass and some 205s and do load dev in the offseason.

edit: I'm not sure how only half of my post went through? Anyway, those are some nice groups - it looks like you've got her dialed in nice. How are you liking the manners vs the Tikka stock?
I'm really not crazy about the Manners. Too much drop at the comb, not vertical enough on the grip for my liking. But the length of pull fits me and I had it laying around. Wouldn't buy another one over the factory stock with a vertical grip. My plan is to replace it next year.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

I'm really not crazy about the Manners. Too much drop at the comb, not vertical enough on the grip for my liking. But the length of pull fits me and I had it laying around. Wouldn't buy another one over the factory stock with a vertical grip. My plan is to replace it next year.

Should’ve mentioned I put the vertical grip on mine as well. The factory stock isn’t so bad - if they’d include that piece that raises the comb with all their rifles I’m not sure many people would change the stock.

XJGPN

FNG
Are you having any issues stabilizing the Hornady 208’s with the 1:11 barrel? I have a finnlight in 300 WSM inbound and was assuming the heaviest I would be able to run is 180-190 grain. That is awesome news if 208’s could be feasible.

OP
PathFinder
Are you having any issues stabilizing the Hornady 208’s with the 1:11 barrel? I have a finnlight in 300 WSM inbound and was assuming the heaviest I would be able to run is 180-190 grain. That is awesome news if 208’s could be feasible.
No issues at all. Holding MOA or better at 1k and BC appears to be very close to what Applied Ballistics says it is, or slightly better.

XJGPN

FNG
No issues at all. Holding MOA or better at 1k and BC appears to be very close to what Applied Ballistics says it is, or slightly better.

Good deal! I wanted to try the 200 gr ELD-X Precision Hunter but didn’t think there was a chance it would work. Thanks!

OP
PathFinder
Here are some pics. I got the ARCA rail from @LivetohuntID mounted, modified the grip slightly, and painted it. Finally tracked down more primers so I can get doing some more shooting before its first hunt in September.
Still working on the 3D printed magazine. I had to order a new hot end assembly for my printer, but I should get much better results with it. KIMG1271.jpgKIMG1272.jpgKIMG1273.jpgKIMG1274.jpgKIMG1275.jpg

khuber84

WKR
I'd highly recommend the 200.20x Berger bullet. It's based off the 215 hybrid but shorter bearing surface. It would work very well in a saami throated rifle. I can push them at 2960 with accuracy in my 23.5" 300wsm Tikka. This is a long throat chamber for 215s. 200.20s are 90k off lands. They also shoot well 20k ofd but there's not much bearing surface in neck at that depth.

OP
PathFinder
I'd highly recommend the 200.20x Berger bullet. It's based off the 215 hybrid but shorter bearing surface. It would work very well in a saami throated rifle. I can push them at 2960 with accuracy in my 23.5" 300wsm Tikka. This is a long throat chamber for 215s. 200.20s are 90k off lands. They also shoot well 20k ofd but there's not much bearing surface in neck at that depth.
They're on my list to try at some point. Not much terminal info around for them, but the nose cavity is nearly as deep as the one in the 215's, I'd love to hear some terminal results from them.
I'm going to roll with the 208s for this season. They're cheaper, easy to find, and I've loved the terminal performance of the other caliber/weight ELD Ms I've shot for the last several years. Had I not gotten the results I wanted with the 208 in terms of velocity and accuracy, the 200.20x was next on my list.