Rokslide Member Arizona Shooting Days

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Had some PM's from folks wanting to setup shooting days here in AZ. @AZ_Hunter and I were thinking about doing some fun shooting challenges with realistic field hunting shots. This wouldn't be a "range day" but a "field day" targeted towards practicing realistic hunting shots taken here in Arizona.

These would be longish range cross canyon, steep angle type of shots. After we go over general safety and rifle checks, we will check everyone's 100 yard zero and shoot some groups to get started. We will then work towards various field positions to get you shooting above/around brush and cactus, wind calling, learning quick target acquisition in real hunting terrain, and just have a good time challenging ourselves and learning. We will have steel targets setup at various ranges, including animal silhouette targets, painted to blend into the terrain.

We will eventually determine a meeting point, and then likely slim down the vehicles to get back into shooting areas. I will provide coolers/drinks and will grill up venison/elk burgers for lunch.

With hunting season looming a lot of us will be gone, so we do not have any sort of date set yet. We are gauging interest to see how many folks would want to come shoot.

I have hosted shooting classes/field days in the past, and have been doing this quite a long time, so there will be some structure yes, but in general it will be a fun day!

What is this?

A full field day practicing and learning real world hunting shots in Arizona. Plan to be up at 4 AM and back to the hotel or home after dark. This is not a competition, but a chance to shoot long range and learn where your skill sets are at.

Where will this be?
This will be hosted in the middle of the state with hopes that more folks can join. For overnight stays look for hotels in Casa Grande (half way between Phoenix and Tucson) off highway 10. We will meet in Casa Grande for dinner the evening before to meet/plan the morning. Location and time TBD.

Who is invited?

Anyone who is willing to make the drive and wants to spend a full day in the field.

What do I need to bring?

Bring your rifle and backpack as if you were hunting. Bring minimum 300 rounds of ammo for the day. Feel free to bring multiple guns, but keep it to the guns you would use for hunting. Bring snacks if you'd like. Lunch and drinks will be provided. Only bring tripods that you would actually back into the back country with. Some shots will be timed as a learning experience so keep that in mind with tripod shooting.

When is this happening?

This is still TBD and will depend on folks availability and meshing schedules. We are coming up on hunting season and myself am hunting/helping on hunts starting in two weeks, in 5 states and Mexico through going through February. This may not kick off until early Spring which will be great for the weather here anyway. Please post in here with your interest and click on "follow" this thread, so you can track updates. Feel free to tag folks user names in here as well.

Sounds fun but a little too late for me. I don't have any more free weekends until end of October.

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Sounds fun but a little too late for me. I don't have any more free weekends until end of October.
There is no current date set. This likely won't happen until after most folks hunting seasons, we will build up the attendee list and momentum over the next few months, likely happening early 2025.

kthomas

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting idea.

However, 300 rounds for one day sounds like a lot. PRS matches for example typically are ~100 rounds/day. I think 50-100 rounds is probably a lot more realistic.

Keep us posted, I'm interested.