Rokslide Arrow Building Video

D

david long

ROKSLIDE ARROW BUILDING VIDEO

I just built-up my custom Rokslide wrapped "Bear Killer" arrows for my Alaska trip. Here is a link to the video for anyone that may be interested in building their own arrows.
[video]https://vimeo.com/41698105[/video]

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
Great video David. But I have a question for you. Do you think squareing off the ends of the shaft is really that necessary? To my way of thinking, the nock and the insert are going to go in the same way reguardless of what the end of the shaft looks like. However, I always place the insert in without glue first just to test that the fit is OK. Usually the cutter does a close enough job that no squareing is required.

One other step that I do right off the bat is to cut off about one inch off of the nock end of the shaft before I even start. The reason being, if there are any imprefections in the shaft at all, it will be on the very end when the shaft is made.

Again, a great video!!!!!

OP
R

rebecca francis

Great video David! The rokslide wraps look great! Looks like you are ready to kill a bear!

J-Daddy

WKR
Great video David. But I have a question for you. Do you think squareing off the ends of the shaft is really that necessary? To my way of thinking, the nock and the insert are going to go in the same way reguardless of what the end of the shaft looks like. However, I always place the insert in without glue first just to test that the fit is OK. Usually the cutter does a close enough job that no squareing is required.

One other step that I do right off the bat is to cut off about one inch off of the nock end of the shaft before I even start. The reason being, if there are any imprefections in the shaft at all, it will be on the very end when the shaft is made.

Again, a great video!!!!!

I'll throw my .02 cents in on that one....Yes squaring them is a good idea...If the cut end of the arrow isn't totally square/flat the nock or insert will set in at an angle and you'll never get it to spin right. You might not have an issue with a field tip but with a broadhead having a true spinning arrow means alot.
I also square the face of my inserts after they are glued into the arrow...

OR Archer

WKR
J Daddy is correct. Need a nice square end for good broadhead alignment and spin.

Couple of things Id suggest though on the arrow building. First is to add a small dab of glue on the front and back end of each vane after you pull it from the clamp. This will help prevent any vane from peeling up if shot into a target to deep. Second is instead of using the G5 squaring tool check out the version offered by Firenock. Same concept just a better design.

OP
D

david long

Thanks guys!

WW.....I am a firm believer in squaring both ends of the shaft. I am sure you could get by just fine without doing it, but I prefer to do it.

OR Archer......the G5 seems to do just fine, but I will check out the Firenock tool.....as far as "heading and tailing" the vanes with glue, that is something I have never got in the habit of doing.

cmeier117

WKR
Nice video David! I want to start building my own arrows now! Could you list the equipment used in your video for me?

J-Daddy

WKR
Thanks guys!

WW.....I am a firm believer in squaring both ends of the shaft. I am sure you could get by just fine without doing it, but I prefer to do it.

OR Archer......the G5 seems to do just fine, but I will check out the Firenock tool.....as far as "heading and tailing" the vanes with glue, that is something I have never got in the habit of doing.

David, a little dab on the front & back of the vane does help them bond a little better if you get a pass through on a target...I always do it to mine.

Gman

WKR
So is there an economic value to building your own arrows or is it more about customization and control? Also, if someone could put together a kit to get into the arrow building game, what would that look like? Specific product, etc.? For example is the specialized saw necessary or are there other ways to achieve the same thing with stuff one might have around the workshop? Looks like fun, but from the very quick Google-palooza I did, it seems kinda spendy to get set up. Looking forward to thoughts on this one.

Above Timber

Lil-Rokslider
david,
How do you like the Bohning Helix Tower Jig? I have used the Blazer Helix Jig quite a bit how does the Tower Jig compare? Is the Tower Jig as precise as the Blazer Jig?

Soutie

FNG
I prefer building my own arrows since I know that it's going to be top quality because paying attention to detail may not be a priority of some shops. Broadhead alignment as has been mentioned is key. However, if a cutter is out of the budget have the shop cut them to your size and then do the rest. Getting set up should'nt be too expensive. Then you can play around with set-up, four fletch, six for turkeys etc. It's fun.

cmeier117

WKR
So is there an economic value to building your own arrows or is it more about customization and control? Also, if someone could put together a kit to get into the arrow building game, what would that look like? Specific product, etc.? For example is the specialized saw necessary or are there other ways to achieve the same thing with stuff one might have around the workshop? Looks like fun, but from the very quick Google-palooza I did, it seems kinda spendy to get set up. Looking forward to thoughts on this one.

I would like a list too, and after googling myself I came up with around $250-$300 for all the stuff give or take. That is with a $150 arrow saw.

OR Archer

WKR
Here are a few items you will need for a basic home fletching kit

1. Jig - I prefer the Bitzenburger jig
2. glue - I like Saunders NPV
3. sand paper - for shafts with a shiny surface youll want to rough that up
4. Alcohol or laquer thinner - I prefer laquer thinner for cleaning shafts
5. Vanes or feathers

All other items are optional like a saw or a squaring tool. Id recommend the squaring tool before the saw. You can easily get set up to do your own fletching for less than a $100 bucks.

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
Cool vid on the Firenok squaring tool. Looks like I may be making an adapter/sanding block to go with my arrow spinner. Also, X-2 on heading and healing your fletch with a drop of glue.

OP
D

david long

Nice video David! I want to start building my own arrows now! Could you list the equipment used in your video for me?
Here is the equipment I used:
ZipStrip fletching removal tool
G5 Squaring tool
Bohning Helix Tower Fletching Jig
Tape measure
Easton chamfer tool (included with shafts)
Cotton rag
91% isopropyl alcohol
Silver Sharpie
Mousepad

Here are the arrow components used:
Easton Carbon Injexion 330 shafts
Rokslide 5" green wraps
Bohning 2" green Blazer vanes
Bohning F nock
Easton 20 gr Deep Six inserts (2)
Easton insert epoxy (included with shafts)
Easton insert tool (included with shafts)
Bohning Fletchtite Platinum vane adhesive
NAP Deep Six Thunderhead Razor broadhead

OP
D

david long

I have never ran the numbers, but I highly doubt there would be any savings......I prefer to do build my arrows for three reasons: (1) I can customize them exactly how I want (2) I have full control over the quality of the end product (3) I enjoy it!

Segan

FNG
Another nice thing I'll add. All summer as i'm out camping with family and friends we all shoot are bows. I have all the stuff i need to refletch an arrow or two. I makes it nice to enjoy the time on the mountain and participate no matter what level your at. Not only that but the closest proshop to me is 35-40 minutes away.